Transporation- Mtbr.com

Thread: Transporation

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Transporation

I am looking to get a new vehicle (new to me) and was wondering if you guys could help out. I want something that will haul two DH/FR bikes and the possible camping gear, etc. I am also looking for good gas milage and a fun car to drive. I'm going to college and need a car for the ladies...and my bikes. Offer up suggestions, preferably make, model, year, and avg. mpg. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Look at a subaru impreza or wrx. Good gas mileage in the mid to high 20's I think. Lots of people drive them here in CO.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    can they really fit a bike inside a wrx?

MOOSE
    I just got an '02 f150. 5.4L V8

It'll fit the bikes, it's fun to drive,

but gas mileage...... not so much, i've roughly calculated 16 mpg, but i have only been driving it for a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    16 is a little low, 20 seems good to me.

Glad to Be Alive
    SR5 4 banger motor, toyota pick up....enough said
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have been looking at Toyota trucks. The Tundra seems to be calling me...

mtbr member
    yea, most small trucks, like the toyota tacoma, get around 23mpg and have plenty of room for bikes depending on which cab size you get
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yea I actually ment the Tocoma. I also like the Nissan Frontier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just bought a new 08 Subaru Outback 3.0R LLBean as a DD and bike/snowboard/kayak hauler. Perfect for what you are looking for. Awesome in the dirt/snow/rain. More ground clearance than an Xterra. Plenty of cargo room. Fast and smooth with the 3.0R. Very well equipped. I just came back from a 3500 mile road trip and averaged 24mpg overall.

Or how about a WRX wagon if you want more speed and performance?

mtbr member
    I've got the tacoma, 4 banger, great truck. 4WD and I still get around 21mpg with my fat ass and a buddy, and our bikes and gear. Get a camper shell for winter and you're set.

EastBaySteez
    Small truck is the way to go. I have a 98 Ranger It gets about 18mpg.... I like accelerating hard...
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

TNC
    noMAD man
    I just bought an '07 Chevy Uplander Van for my MTB and motorcycle trips. Is it a minivan?...well kinda...but it's a good deal more heavy duty than that...and it's a cargo model. There's nothing but a padded rubber floor from the back of the front seats to the rear door, but the walls and roof are totally insulated for noise and comfort. It tows 3500lbs. which will be great for hauling my utility trailer that carries my dirt motorcycle and lock boxes with tons of gear. On the MTB trips I don't use the trailer...unless it's a group deal...and I can either carry the Nomad and Bullit inside or put them on the Thule T2 hitch rack outside. The inside carries tons of gear...it's an extended model. I used to camp/sleep in the back of my pickup/camper shell combo, but this van has more room, gets way better mileage, and has more power than my compact pickup had. Power...gas mileage? It has the 3.9 V6 and powertrain out of the Chevy Impala...240hp. It's rated to get 25mpg on the highway, but in reality it gets about 28. The slightly heavier construction and bigger but very efficient drivetrain puts it right in between the more conventional minivan and fullsize truck-style van. Another upside?...price. While the fully equipped model you'll normally find on the lots for sale are in the $28,000-30,000 range, the cargo model usually runs $21,000. The cargo model is not some stripped out shell with an AM radio and no heater kind of rip-off deal. It has most of the bells and whistles that matter and is nicely fitted out...lots of bang for the buck.

You want to get women with your vehicle? Take some advice from an "older" segment of the male population. Most of the women you'll attract mainly because of your vehicle will probably not be worth the trouble. Besides, vehicles are like our different bikes. You probably don't have one bike to do everything, do you? Get your race/camp/travel/cargo hauler to do the job it should do and get something else to chase women...LOL!

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Get your race/camp/travel/cargo hauler to do the job it should do and get something else to chase women...LOL!
    I wouldnt call a Uplander a lady chasing car. My dad has one as his company car.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

TNC
    noMAD man
    LOL!...well, if you read my post, I think I pretty much qualified that it ain't no "bush boat".

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    LOL!...well, if you read my post, I think I pretty much qualified that it ain't no "bush boat".
    I know It is a pretty nice car/truck/minivan though. Its got hiddn power.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    scooobaru baja turbo. no WRX price hike , diff than soccer moms outback , kick ass subaru reliability , and dealers clearin' them out = on the cheap.

dirt rules
    The baja looks cool.... very practical. You could throw your sweaty/muddy gear in the mini truck bed for the ride home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 95 VW Passat TDI diesel. Drove it from Ontario California to Grand Junction, Colorado, without stopping to fuel up once. Took 17 gal when I got to GC, still had another gallon in the tank. Thats well over 770 miles folks.

Unloaded I get 45-47mpg hwy and I ain't no light foot. With 2 downhill bikes on the roof and the trunk and back seat loaded to the ceiling with camping gear, I still get around 39mpg and can pull 70mph over the Rockies, fully loaded. Not bad. A lot of economy cars turn into slugs when loaded and the mileage goes out the window. My son and I drove from Colorado Springs to Angel Fire, New Mexico for the Chile Challenge, load to the nines. Drove there and back & around town for 3 days without stopping for fuel and still had enough fuel in the tank for the rest of the week once we got home.

Another plus, the engines can go 500,000 miles without a rebuild, if you maintain them well.

You really need a roof rack, but the truck is HUGE. I'm pretty sure you could get a single bike in there if you remove the wheels.

mtbr member
    So who thinks 24mpg is good gas mileage.
    A 2wd 2007 Nissan Frontier regular cab is supposed to get 22/25. Add 4wd and you get 17/21. That's not good gas mileage IMO.

A good compromise is a Honda CRV or Element. Fold flat seats for sleeping(element). My wife has a 2005 AWD CRV with a thule t2 and it drives great and gets 27mph highway with lots of room for other stuff. Put some bling rims on it for flash. If you don't like honda try a RAV4.

I have a 4wd Toyota Pickup. Have had it for 10 years. It def can haul your goods. But it only can carry 2 people(realistically). Got a topper. Makes it hard to load bikes into it.
    A topper with side opening windows and a Thule T2 would be slick. Poor gas mileage with anything other than a 2wd reg cab. Not that 25mpg is good IMO. 35+ mph is good.

Realistically I would say get a 4 door Civic with a thule T2 or Thule Sidearm setup and maybe a roof box. They look good,drive good, great MPG, and affordable.

My buddy has a Subaru Impreza and you can get 2 bikes in it with front tires removed by stacking them on top of each other. Not much extra room for a lot of camping gear.
    But you can put a roof rack on it. You can alway put some sort of rack on it.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    hey guys post#1, I am new to big bikes but not to riding or racing. bmx since 8

I have a 2000 integra w/ rack. 3 man tent, two sleeping bags, weekend worth of cloths for both and cooler. 30+ mpg. sucks for rough forest roads. but that is what the big truck shuttles are for. hatch backs rule!

banned
    My buddy has an 06 four door frontier, gas mileage SUCKS on that thing, I couldn't believe it, and he drives like an old b!tch haha. The prices on these midsize trucks are insane, their as much as a full size. I'm looking into downsizing also, 10 miles to the gallon with my 6.0 chevy, blows ballz! I need a truck for the bikes and hunting, but with the price of gas, I think I'm gonna end up with a car

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    BLAM!!

this is whatcha need! 130000 miles and still rollin hard. average mpg on highway is around 21 and in town is around 18, thats with a small lift and 32 in tires

I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    I had a stg. 2 WRX sedan, hand's down best vehicle I've ever owned. I recently traded it in for a 07' Jeep Liberty, only because I needed more room...Stay away from a WRX sedan, you WILL NOT have enough room for camping gear, etc... A wagon would be a better fit.

If it wasn't for current Chrysler discounts, I would be driving either a Forester or a WRX wagon...My vote is for one of these two vehicles or 2007 Jeep if you want a smokin' deal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks guys. I am def leaning towards the tocoma or a WRX Wagon.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    make sure you research the taco - from what i found
    4cyl = 18/24
    6cyl = 16/21

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    make sure you research the taco - from what i found
    4cyl = 18/24
    6cyl = 16/21
    weird i have the 3.4 liter in mine and it gets 18 in town if i am nice on the throttle

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD
    I have a 95 VW Passat TDI diesel. Drove it from Ontario California to Grand Junction, Colorado, without stopping to fuel up once. Took 17 gal when I got to GC, still had another gallon in the tank. Thats well over 770 miles folks.

Unloaded I get 45-47mpg hwy and I ain't no light foot. With 2 downhill bikes on the roof and the trunk and back seat loaded to the ceiling with camping gear, I still get around 39mpg and can pull 70mph over the Rockies, fully loaded. Not bad. A lot of economy cars turn into slugs when loaded and the mileage goes out the window. My son and I drove from Colorado Springs to Angel Fire, New Mexico for the Chile Challenge, load to the nines. Drove there and back & around town for 3 days without stopping for fuel and still had enough fuel in the tank for the rest of the week once we got home.

Another plus, the engines can go 500,000 miles without a rebuild, if you maintain them well.

You really need a roof rack, but the truck is HUGE. I'm pretty sure you could get a single bike in there if you remove the wheels.
    I'm calling bs on your gas mileage. My Mom's 2005 Jetta TDI averages 39 mpg, and thats with a very conservative driver. The Passat gets much lower mileage than the Jetta, and its epa ratings would agree with me. Its rated 27 city, 38 highway... about the same as an Accord 4 cylinder...

Not to mention VW needs a lot of work with QC these days, especially the Golf/Jettas... not so much the Passats, but either way their reliability record sucks right now.

TNC
    noMAD man
    wormvine's recommendation has some merit. I researched those two vehicles too. Personally I think tents suck ballz big time, so I want something I can sleep inside of. Plus, I actually use my vehicles to go out into the boondocks in remote areas and fairly public places. I like the relative increased security you get from being inside a vehicle rather than a fabric tent. And I'm sure most of us have set up tents in the rain or on muddy terrain...or broke camp under the same conditions. Also you can sleep in the back of a vehicle while you're enroute to a race or riding location without paying for a campground or such. Pitching a tent off the side of a roadway or vacant business parking lot seems to attract attention in some places.

I liked both the CRV and Element, but they didn't have enough power to pull my dirt motor trailer setup. Plus I was surprised that the Element didn't really get any better mileage in its empty state than my Uplander van. Still, both of those Hondas are excellent vehicles. If you're not gonna tow anything, I'd go for the Element. It's got room and it's priced well. However, as compared to many other vehicles, it probably doesn't qualify as a pu$$y wagon either. LOL!...I think some may be a little too attached to the sex appeal of their vehicle. How sexy is it when you're stuffed into your pup tent in a muddy field saying, "hey baby...look how cool I am."...LOL!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Subie... best bang for the buck, imo. Or go with a WRX if you have an extra $5k...

My biggest complaint with this car is the bodywork and paint are very easily damaged. It dings and gets scratched just by looking at it wrong. It has a solid bodyshell, good safety ratings and good handling to make up for it. Mine was $19.5k for a SE wagon with all the options except for leather and a sunroof.

banned
    Dave, I would rather have your bike haha, nice looking rig. I love subarus, especially the WRX sti, but save your money, and get go this route
    Last edited by GETSTUPID; 01-31-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GETSTUPID
    Dave, I would rather have your bike haha, nice looking rig. I love subarus, especially the WRX sti, but save your money, and get go this route
    haha i dunno how many bikes he could fit in the back of that ranger with those kings coming up thru the bed and the tubing work in the back.

sick truck tho

Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    I'm calling bs on your gas mileage. My Mom's 2005 Jetta TDI averages 39 mpg, and thats with a very conservative driver. The Passat gets much lower mileage than the Jetta, and its epa ratings would agree with me. Its rated 27 city, 38 highway... about the same as an Accord 4 cylinder...

Not to mention VW needs a lot of work with QC these days, especially the Golf/Jettas... not so much the Passats, but either way their reliability record sucks right now.
    my bro's '85 golf diesel gets 45mpg city.. maybe your moms jetta TDI is an auto?

N* Bomber Crew
    I think a 4Runner is a good bike vehicle so long as you buy a bike rack.

I roll a 1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with a Sportworks T2 Bike rack and the thing is a beast. The small details add up. The roll up/down window in the trunk is really useful when your bikes are on the rack, no need to remove the bikes if you just want to get something out of the trunk or toss something in.

I like how it is indeed a SUV, but isn't as large as a Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon or what not. It's a mid-size and is able to carry anything you might need. If I could move all the stuff in my dorm out in my 4Runner, then well, it wins.

As for Gas Mileage, on the highway it does really well. City though, meh. However, I think if you go for a Honda or Toyota SUV the reliability will pay off, the things run forever. Should you have a problem, Japanese cars are relativley inexpensive to fix.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Id just like to state im not looking to pick up chicks with my car. I just dont want people in general to run screaming when they see it. Element sounds good because I am going to school at the beach, and the closest DH is probably 4+ hrs away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BunkerKing
    Id just like to state im not looking to pick up chicks with my car. I just dont want people in general to run screaming when they see it. Element sounds good because I am going to school at the beach, and the closest DH is probably 4+ hrs away.
    Element has a lot of cool features. I don't think it will repel a full-on betty either.
    2007's have more horsepower now too.
    One upgrade I did to my CRV which makes a world of difference. Genuine sheepskin seat covers. Cool on hot days, Warm on cool days. And comfy as hell. Pricey but well worth it. Sorry if I offended any animal rights people. This is the DH forum.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How well do you like your CRV?

mtbr member
    I love it. It drives great. It has plenty of pep for me. AWD works great in the winter but not neccessary where theres no snow. I'm not too keen on the new body style of the 07' but I am sure it drives great.

It's plenty big for most gear and it will pull a trailer if necessary. I pulled my 5x8 fully loaded(very heavy) across country. Not something I would do every day but it is possible.
    It's a great vehicle period. Keep in mind it only comes in automatic, but after 20 years of sticks an auto is welcome.

A reg cab 4wd Tacoma ia a good affordable alternative. You can get a topper and set it up so you can sleep in it. I'd still get a T2 for it. It will do whatever you ask of it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    can they really fit a bike inside a wrx?
    Hell no. (well yes you can, but eventually you'll screw up the interior and it's not worth it)

You get a hitch, then a T2 rack, then you're good to go, no big MPG penalty, you can take it off, you can access the rear with the bikes attached, etc.

Get the wagon, very pratical with plenty of room for gear. I love mine.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    So who thinks 24mpg is good gas mileage.

A good compromise is a Honda CRV or Element.
    You must have not driven many Elements because not many of their long term owners get better than 24mpg i'm afraid. Just look on the EOC forum. Most average high teens and low 20s for a 165hp hauler. I agree the Element is a great versatile choice otherwise. I really like it. Can't beat the functionality.

So 24mpg for a 250hp offroad-going wagon that hits 60mph in 7secs isn't too bad imho. I'm happy with it anyways.

An it's a LOT better than my other 2 rides...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    weird i have the 3.4 liter in mine and it gets 18 in town if i am nice on the throttle
    Why the hell is that wierd? It's smack dab where it's supposed to be.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Before I bought my Jeep I had a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab which was amazing for biking, camping, off-roading, and driving around town. The back seat was very roomy for a mid-size truck and the bed easily fit any gear I needed and my bike. Gas mileage was respectable before I lifted it and put 33" tires on. With a V8 and 4x4 model I was getting about 20mpg.

moaaar shimz
    Great milage! I love it so far

mtbr member
    I am looking to get a new vehicle (new to me) and was wondering if you guys could help out. I want something that will haul two DH/FR bikes and the possible camping gear, etc. I am also looking for good gas milage and a fun car to drive. I'm going to college and need a car for the ladies...and my bikes. Offer up suggestions, preferably make, model, year, and avg. mpg. Thanks

If you are not shutteling on rough roads then maybe if you can afford it get a VW TDI Jetta, either sedan or wagon. The car with no bikes on the roof that we have now wich is a 2006 so it is bigger and also an auto gets a REAL 40MPG at 80MPH. We had an 03 manual that got 48MPG at the smae speeds!!!! But they will set you back it will be common for a 2003 with like 60K on it to go in the 18,000 range!!! At least in CA?? If you live in another state guy buy a 2004-2005 PASSAT TDI they are bigger faster and get almost the same mileage??

Members who have read this thread: 0