transition vs. transition- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

transition vs. transition

looking to upgrade and am sold on transition bikes. the question is dirtbag or preston. what are your opinions of these bikes? how do they compare and contrast? I currently ride a kona coiler. I hope to demo both bikes soon. thanks for the info and opinions.

industry employee
    If you need more than 5" of travel go with the Dirtbag.

That said, I have a Preston and I love it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    well my 04 coiler is 5", so I dont need more than 5 but I think I want more than 5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What type of riding you do is what it all depends on.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I guess I ride freeride light, pedal up, dont go too huge but pretty agressive. a few trips up to whistler and the northshore a year. I know both these bikes can handle all I can dish out.I am leaning to the dirtbag, I just wanted to hear from people who have ridden both. I plan on demo-ing both of them soon anyway.

destructionismyobjective
    -------bottle rocket---------thats my vote.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    oh jeez, not another bike thrown into the mix... I think I'll focus on just the two. dirtbag or preston fr.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Never seen a dirtbag in person but a friend of mine rides a preston and although it's a sweet bike, it is a short-travel bike and it feels like it when you ride it. If you are looking for a longer-travel bike, go with the DB. From what I've heard it will still climb well and take anything whzzler can throw at you.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i had the same dilemma when i was looking for a new fully.

in the end.. if you are a bigger guy, go with the dirtbag as it will be easier to spring correctly for your weight, and you'll be able to handle a heavier bike with more ease. If you are a smaller dude, the Preston might work better as it will feel snappier and tighter in it's travel, yet just as tough as the Dirtbag.

That said, i got a Dirtbag, as i am a bigger guy ~215lbs. I don't regret it for a second. The extra heft and travel have been more than welcome.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have been leaning to the dirtbag and at 205# plus gear and helmet, you have a good point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a Preston and will say if you want more plush feeling go DB. If your looking for something that has more feel and responds a quicker go Preston. Basically there are pros and cons to going either way it really depends on what your looking for. Either one will be nice but if I was buying a Transition right now it'd be a Bottle Rocket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a similar decision to make and went with the bottlerocket. If you are looking for something between a Preston and a Dirtbag that is manuverable on stunts, playful in the air yet rails a-line and handles some bigger stuff, I would add the bottlrocket to your search. The Preston is a great light freeride/trail bike. The Dirtbag would be better for eating up steep rooty stuff and big hits. For me the Bottlerocket is the in the middle low slung sweet spot. The bike is so fun and built super solid like a bigger bike. Kind of weighs like one too though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by updownride
    I guess I ride freeride light, pedal up, dont go too huge but pretty agressive. a few trips up to whistler and the northshore a year. I know both these bikes can handle all I can dish out.I am leaning to the dirtbag, I just wanted to hear from people who have ridden both. I plan on demo-ing both of them soon anyway.
    you want a prenston then
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got a DirtBag and a Preston.
    Both are really nice bikes.
    If you can only have one to do everything,
    then you should go with a BottleRocket.

seriously.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    hmmm... I can probably try all three, but the DB may fit the best where I ride most.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Call Transition.
    Sorry, but the Bottlerocket rules.
    Super fun on trails. Predictable, Rock Solid, Accelerates, Rails.
    Low BB doesn't produce pedal strikes that I've noticed (big concern I had)
    Call the owner/designer.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    May 2006
    lucky for me I am in the same town as the transition guys and I am pretty sure that it wont be too dificult to try some of thir bikes on galbraith, which is where I ride 99% of the time anyway. I just dont want to waste thier time until I have an idea what I am looking for and talking about,( and have the cash for the bike).I'm sure they deal with a lot of false buyers and I dont want to be a bug.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    this not so much of a consideration but the preston looks like it would be 600$ cheaper than the DB

Hisforever
    the dirtbag seems pretty heavy for the uphills but bulletproof and the Preston a more agile all arounder that can take the hammering?

Moxie HT
    Orbea Rallon (fo sale)
    sb 130/150
    Evil Undead/Calling
    Yz 250x

slimat99
    I owned a preston for a shor while. It's super sweet, but it's not any easier to through around than biger travel bikes. I purchased one because I wanted something more versital than my Kona stinky. Built the preston weighed in at over 41 lbs, no lighter than my Stinky, and it has an extra inch of travel. Over all, I loved the preston, but I sold it and now ride my stinky, as well as a blur 4x. The 4x is super fun and capable of everything except big drops and jumps with out landers.

slimat99
    one last thing about the preston: it is super tough, no worries about durability. The draw back is if you want something for all around riding it is way heavy, and if you want it for real deal freeriding, it's a little short on travel. You could build up a 6+ travel bike and have it be just as light and versital as a 5 travel preston. Please don't think I'm putting the Preston down, it is a bad ass rig; just don't buy one thinking your getting a middle weight fighter, you're really getting a heavy weight champ with a short reach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Db...

For what you're saying probably the Preston - but as a bigger dude and if you have an inclination to go bigger then Dirtbag. I ride a 40 lb. Preston and it does it all but a little more squish would be nice for the bigger hits. I'm 200 geared up and my Preston has taken my riding to a new level. Word is the DB and Preston feel similar, but the DB is quite a bit smoother on the rough stuff and just a bit heavier - I'm getting a DB next summer. You'll love either bike - they're sweet!
    Last edited by forester; 11-10-2006 at 01:39 PM.

mmmm, caffeine!
    Get the Dirtbag!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have zero concerns about weight. I figure if I want a lighter load, the pilot(me) can spare 10 or so pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you build a dirtbag up with some sturdy but not heavy wheels and tires, it will be good. 2 sets would be nice, a trail set and a fr set

my dirt bag is under 40lbs with a dhx air, 823's tubless, 66sl. I am liking my DB except for climbing, I should have gotten a large, I am 6ft tall.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    bottle rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.

Bikes Rule
    BottleRocket
    BottleRocket
    BottleRocket
    BottleRocket
    BottleRocket
    BottleRocket

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    One thing to consider also is that the 07 Preston is not shipping yet so not many peeps can say how it's ride is yet. With 5 inch the stock setting and longer shock stroke it seems like it will be a little more plush than the previous models.

Members who have read this thread: 0