Transition Vagrant - sickness (pics)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Transition Vagrant - sickness (pics)

Pretty stoked on my new hardtail upgrade... Thanks to Kyle et al at Transition - you guys rule.

Went with the mostly factory build:
    Z1 Sport
    Juicy 5's w/ 185mm rotors
    FSA stem
    FSA V Drive Extreme cranks, FSA BB
    Some seatpost of some sort
    FUNN saddle
    Transition Revolution wheelset
    X.7 Shifters/rear derailleur, x-gen front der.
    ODI Rogue lock-ons
    etc

She ain't light but not horribly heavy. I'd guess low 30's.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Summit; 06-28-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sweet! Love the color. Gotta love Transition.

How do you plan to use it? DJ, Urban, FR?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    DJ and trail for the most part. I need a bike I can pedal (thus the 2 rings), but still rail DJ's and might even try it on some of the local shuttle runs. All around fun bike

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
    rapid sploogeness

crumb
    verrryyyy nice

mtbr member
    how did you get that color???? I can only find it in white, black, and brown. let me know how it rides on the DH runs, I'm really thinking about this frame.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    killer ride, have fun

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lickqid
    how did you get that color???? I can only find it in white, black, and brown. let me know how it rides on the DH runs, I'm really thinking about this frame.
    Apparently it was supposed to be a UK special edition color. I believe you can order it from them, not sure if you still can though.

mtbr member
    I just called Transition to check on that color, and yea, its available now, which is awesome. How'd the experience with Transition go? did you like the company?

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    watch out about those cranks they hit the swingarms and leave nice gashes......
    and i have all the spacers.
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by free-rider_down-hiller
    yeah that was a funky thing about the build; the bike has a 68mm BB shell but they shipped it w/ a 73mm BB. I called them about it and apparently it gives it a better chainline w/ the wider BB, just looks wierd w/ the threads poking out. But it pedals great, the chainline is perfect...and no contact w/ the swingarms.

P.S. Best customer service at any bike company I've ever received. Transition owns.
    Last edited by Summit; 06-28-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Stray Bullet
    Looks awesome!

Next time you are in SoCal bring that thing with you!

mtbr member

Nice!

I'm looking at picking up one of those for trail riding/DJ/Rays MTB Park this winter, looks like a sick hardtail and reasonably priced for what it is...

BTW, Those rims are fuggin' dope, my friend has em on his dirtbag and they are the pimpschnizz!

Glad to Be Alive
    bling bling...........very nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    nice bike!! im intrested in that bike but i was wordering if you put a shorter travel fork on it how would the bike feel for park & urban? i was thinking a pike w/ u-turn would make it great all around

mtbr member
    very sick...great build.

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Will you do me a favor and take a pic of BB? i just wanna see what yours looks like as my crankarms hit and yours do not..
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

Brackish
    So nice...my next bike will definately be a Transition. I can't decide between the Dirtbag and the Preston, good thing I have a year to decide!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Congrats, sweet looking rig. Transition has a lot of great looking offerings.
    Last edited by MonkeyBidnezz; 06-28-2006 at 11:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Congrats, sweet looking rig. Transition has a lot of really good looking bikes.

Meh.
    Very cool. Nice color.

not really a noob
    looks like you have a bike copy cat
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sweet, I'm loving the color!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    that is SWEEEEET!!!!!! i was seriouosly considering the vagrant as i'm a little short on getting the preston... you may have just swung me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Will you do me a favor and take a pic of BB? i just wanna see what yours looks like as my crankarms hit and yours do not..
    Yeah I'll see if I can snap something tonight.

Thanks for all the props! Loving this thing so far...now it has a nice light coat of Utah dust from the DJ zone...looks much better

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i have a huge hard on, wish m preston came in that color.

Samsonite Tester
    Spiffy .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hows the paint holding up? I heard the paint comes off very easily.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    will saint cranks fit?

all muddy
    very shiny... go get 'er muddy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Well it's February, the snow sucks so I can't really ski, but it's cold enough still that the snow's not really melting off the valley trails, so there's nothing to do but sit and think about biking and wait for a storm to come so I can get back to skiing pow. So I figured in my boredom I'd throw up a season one review of the Vagrant.

I am a bad bike owner and put my toy away dirty:

Just for some background, I hadn't owned a hardtail for about 7 years before I got the Vagrant last summer. The first thing I noticed riding it, aside from the fact I couldn't stay seated over the pedally rocky gnarness, was it was fuggin fast! It's just amazing how much more speed you can pump out of this thing through berms, rolls in the trail, etc. Of course it does get slowed down a lot more than my 6" trail bike once the going gets rocky. But as long as it's reasonably smooth and straightforward - you just feel lik you're on a rocket roller coaster ride.

The first ride I took the Vagrant on was a session at the local DJ zone - a very MTB-oriented spot with long, fast jumps. Most gaps are 15-20 feet, and there are some cool features like a nice 8' step-down to 10' ish step-up gully. As long as you hit the trannys just right, this thing flows beautifully and it's much easier to carry speed through the DJ's than on my full susser (duh). But my ankles hurt when I cased it. Which eventually led to me pussing out and using my big squishy bike at the DJ's after a month or two. But that's OK. Otherwise I mostly used the Vagrant for trail riding - 1-2 hour lunch loops from my office, 2 hour after-work rides from my house, etc. Usually about 1500-2000 vert of climbing with a smooth, fast descent. The post gets crazy high for climbing but drops so far down when you're descending I usually didn't slam it to the frame - it was almost too low. I think this rig would be sick for 4X or other applications like that, although it would probably be too heavy for really competitive racing.

I think my favorite way to ride this bike is a local section of trail here in Salt Lake called Bobsled. It's been around for a long time and is a pretty famous section of trail, and while it gets monotonous sometimes because it's in my backyard, and isn't exactly techie, it gets slagged on a bit. But the thing is a 1.6 mile descent with just a ridiculous amount of berms (it basically follows a dry creek bed, and banks up on either side of the bed continually). There are probably 30 or so beautifully manicured, huge berms - many of them you can easily get your bike nearly horizontal on. It's not crazy, but every time I ride it I get a huge smile on my face. And the Vagrant just shreds it. I thought I rode it fast on my trail bike or even my ASX, but the Vagrant just accelerates through and out of every berm. It's just a blast. Seriously digging this bike.

Negatives: I'm not sold on the Z1 Sport. It feels harsh and packs up when trail riding at speed. But it does the job, takes single hits well, and I'm happy I chose it over a Manipoo. The bike is a bit heavy overall, although I haven't weighed it. But I'm happy it's got the strength to take what punishment I can dish out.

Changes: Just gotta put on a chainguide. I will actually be spending some time in Ohio and I've got a SRS I'm going to throw on there and ditch the front derailleur - I'm stoked to take it and check out Ray's sometime this winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0