Transition Preston or Coiler D?- Mtbr.com
    Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Transition Preston or Coiler D?

04 version - 5 inch bikes.
    Any reason you'd pick one over the other?
    Just curious.
    keep moving

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpee
    04 version - 5 inch bikes.
    Any reason you'd pick one over the other?
    Just curious.
    Preston FR, Transition rocks, owners are the customer service, sweet crash replacemetn too, can't beat it.

Glad to Be Alive
    coiler are real nice too....ride em both and you decide
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Youngbuck
    Kona has been around longer but ive heard all good things about transition and their service/warranty.Like ShiverMetimbers said,ride them both and decide.I'd probably go with the transition if it was me.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Assuming it fits, get the Transition. Better bang for the buck, better CS, support of a great small company trying to do the right thing.

Still on Training Wheels!
    I just picked up an 04 coiler for $1000. The bike rides great, and will work perfect for a do-it all bike for me. Just did a couple 4ft to trany drops today, and the bike loved it, and barely started into its travel. I'm no light weight either, 190lbs when geared up. Going to swap the fork for a 6 inch Z1 or Sherman, but thats down the road. I would recomend the coiler, and the deluxe comes with a lot better part spec, and I think a Z1fr. I hear Transition has great bikes, but i haven't ridden any.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    my choice would be the Preston, but just because of the warranty service. I was about to buy a Dirtbag, and they helped a lot. Both bikes ride great, try them.

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i heard that Kona's are made of low quality metal and the tubing is very thin. In fact, I think that they are just bike-shaped chocolates wrapped in foil.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    i heard that Kona's are made of low quality metal and the tubing is very thin. In fact, I think that they are just bike-shaped chocolates wrapped in foil.
    don't kid yourself....they carried around my carcass for awhile
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm joking, of course. I've done my share of sticking up for Kona. There seems to be a lot of negative comments about them these days, and I'm not sure why...most of them don't make sense. I was just playing off a comment by an unnamed Aussie about the Stinky frame quality a while back.

God, I'm bored

Still on Training Wheels!
    The stinky and coiler lines have been huge sellers the last few years. With the amount of konas out there your bound to hear some negativity, just remember that those bad comments are always louder than the thousands of use that are very pleased with the quality and versatility that Kona has provided IMO. Ride em' both then decide.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Can't really ride em both

Nobody has Transitions around here.
    There is a Kona dealer though.

I think best situation for me would be a creampuff used 04 Coiler before they upped to 6" travel.
    Preston would be cool too, only for the bling factor.

Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    The stinky and coiler lines have been huge sellers the last few years. With the amount of konas out there your bound to hear some negativity, just remember that those bad comments are always louder than the thousands of use that are very pleased with the quality and versatility that Kona has provided IMO. Ride em' both then decide.
    keep moving

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I love both bikes. I am also in the same spot of deciding between the Preston or Coiler. Go on to Tranistions website and read the Preston Tests by NSMB and Hick Hucksters. I am realy leaning towards the preston with the dangerboy plates. pluss the thing is tough look at some of the vidioes of it. But Kona has proved its self numerouse times on the Shore and everywere. I am definately having a hard time deciding. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've ridden both. It was a tough decision. The new Coilers at 6" are big bikes without big travel, just the weight. I work at a shop that sells Kona, yet I bought the Preston. For '05, they changed the geometry a bit I think on the Preston, which makes the head tube 1 degree slacker. This would be ideal if you're going to run it in 5" travel in the back. Mine is a 2004, and I run it in 4" in back with a 6" fork. I like the 4", cause it rides like a hardtail until you hit something pretty big. I hit a 12 footer two weeks ago. That was pretty big.

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Exactyl I don't see many people doing 12 foot drops with 4inch travel Kona's. But like I said they have proven them seleves. But I really like Transitions warranty stuff I hear they are fast and friendly when you need help. I the cool think is is like Bikemech23 said they pedal like a hardtail whithout the rough ride plus they spec with a 6inch travel fork what does that tell ya? And the 05 have enough rear tire room to fit a 2.8. I am almost certain thats the bike I am going to get with dangerboy plates that way I have 5inches when worst comes to worst.

Ride Hard

mtbr member
    May 2004
    dont forget the heckler. i am currently building a new heckler up as a play bike, they r tough as ****, and a DHX! ill have a sherman on it, with hayes 8", coming in at under 33lbs.!

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Hey ya good point they are tough bikes with good warranty. Just dont forget that in the end the bikes we suggest are only bikes we like. You are the one riding it not us so get what you want not what we already have or want.

Good Luck to all the People looking for a new bike