Transition Dirtbag?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Transition Dirtbag?

Hey I want a FR/DH bike and im thinking of getting a Transition dirtbag with a Fox DHX 5.0 shock and a Marzocchi 66 fork. is it ok for freeride and downhill? whats are its props/cons?

mtbr member
    Sure is good for that.

Might be a bit heavy if you're used to light bikes?

There are a lot of threads about the Dirtbag if you search for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Never having got the chance to ride one I can't tell how they ride, but it would be great for both freeride and downhill, although it is mainly a freeride rig. if you are going to race you might want something with a more race oriented geo and little more travel.

jzt
    mtbr member
    I have one built with a 66VF and mostly freeride-y parts. Its not light that's for sure (38lbs) and it feels so solid and stable on the trail, yet so flick-able on the jumps and tight sections. Climbing was also very manageable, just dial up the Propedal.

My friend has a Gran Mal, and if you're going to be racing downhill seriously, that's probably a better choice. Its slightly heavier than the Dirtbag, and has a really long wheelbase, if that's of concern to you...
    Attached Images Attached Images

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i just got back from dirt jumping my Dirtbag this morning... and i can tell you first hand, this bike rips! I run it with a 66 up front, and DHX 5.0 in the rear (same as what you want). My rig looks almost identical to the Dirtbag posted above, that army green is awesome. I do have to say that the quality of the paint is somewhat crap... TBC had to cut corners somewhere to bring the price down, but i didn't get this bike to pose for cameras, it's a workhorse and will get beat up nomatter what.

The geometry is super dialed for freeride and jumping. It's a heavy frame, but if you're a big guy and don't mint lugging around 40-45 pounds of bike, it's totally sweet. Time and time again, i'm totally blown away by how flickable this bike is for being such a pig. It's a slow turner, and really wants to go in a straight line, but once you get it up in the air you can toss it all over the place. Rear end is bombproof, i'm 6'3"/215 and i've yet to notice any flex back there. The bike climbs like a goat, especially with a nice platform shock like DHX. I used to run it with a granny up front and lighter trail tires, and i could pedal it up anything.

Like someone mentioned above, if you're gonna race DH this bike probably isn't the best choice, something lighter with more travel and a lower BB would suit you better. However, if you aren't after record DH times, this bike is super fun to tear up downhill on.

cheers.

Members who have read this thread: 0