Transforming my geimni (shock help)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Transforming my geimni (shock help)

Hello I have a gemini 2000 and i am happpy with it , it comes in at 38 lbs , 36 when i go tubeless ( i have the kit sitting in front me know . Well anyway , i was looking at some lighter trial bikes today when i said to myself i wonder if i could turn the gemini into a lighter more trial bike because i have a long way to travel to my trials (but still keep the other parts for days of jsutdownhill ). Well my ideas are as follows if i switch my swinger 4 way coil with a 4 way air shock ill save a pound thats 35lbs But can you get a swinger 4 way air (or dhx air ) with an eye to eye of 20cm and a stroke of 5.7 and would it work well ? .

Maybe a lighter fork aswell (although there is not much better than the breakout plus in terms of its light wieght and travel) like maybe an allmountain or z1 or z1 sl maybe a pike but id prefer a marzzochi . I can get some lighter wheels but my choice is restricted because of teh thru 12 rear but maybe jsut a lighter front wheel , and some 2.1 tyres i reckon i could get it down to around 33-34 lbs ,

Well what do you guys think ?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yah mean TRAILS? lol, ugh, yeah, an air shock OR a titanium spring are both options (the ti spring would be cheaper that a new shock, weigh about the same as air, and preform better), you could buy new rims, and have them buil on your existing hubs, or go for something from atomlab or something, you can find a lighter wieght wheelset with a 12 through axle. also, a ti spring kit for the breakout would shave a lb or two off, as would some ust tubeless XC tires. you could probably shave it down to the low 30s. and oh yeah, keep it clean! theres no sense in building a lite bike if its got 5 lbs of mub on it.

TNC
    noMAD man

Easily done.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini2000
    Hello I have a gemini 2000 and i am happpy with it , it comes in at 38 lbs , 36 when i go tubeless ( i have the kit sitting in front me know . Well anyway , i was looking at some lighter trial bikes today when i said to myself i wonder if i could turn the gemini into a lighter more trial bike because i have a long way to travel to my trials (but still keep the other parts for days of jsutdownhill ). Well my ideas are as follows if i switch my swinger 4 way coil with a 4 way air shock ill save a pound thats 35lbs But can you get a swinger 4 way air (or dhx air ) with an eye to eye of 20cm and a stroke of 5.7 and would it work well ? .

Maybe a lighter fork aswell (although there is not much better than the breakout plus in terms of its light wieght and travel) like maybe an allmountain or z1 or z1 sl maybe a pike but id prefer a marzzochi . I can get some lighter wheels but my choice is restricted because of teh thru 12 rear but maybe jsut a lighter front wheel , and some 2.1 tyres i reckon i could get it down to around 33-34 lbs ,

Well what do you guys think ?
    But perhaps not cheaply done, LOL! I've had one of my Bullits in different configurations ranging from a real 29lbs. to 33lbs....remember, you are talking about trail riding...even aggressive trail riding. My Bullit and your Gemini are almost identical in weight. I think the most realistic weight I was happy with for trail riding that still provided that cushion for reliability was at 32lbs. A big chunk of that shows up in tires and wheels. I popped for a set of CrossMax XL disc wheels. These are some surprisingly strong wheels...they are not the wimpy SL models...and they are decently light. I run 2.5 Weirwolf tires set up as tubeless...they probably are closer to a real 2.3 size tire, so you don't have to go down to 2.1 XC size tires. Don't use any chainring devices and maybe even get a little kinky and install a titanium FSA (or other brand) ISIS BB...or one of the lighter thru axle cranksets out now. Don't use a DH/FR crankset. I use plain old RF LP ISIS Turbines. I have a 7.875 X 2.0 Manitou 4-way air shock, and it works quite well. I'd like to put an 8.5 X 2.5 DHX air or the same size Progressive Gravity DH air shock on it. I run a Z150SL fork on it which weighs just over 5lbs. Keep the rest of your parts spec on the reliable but light side, and you'll have a very trailable Gemini. This idea of making a DH/FR frame into a trailable bike shouldn't be such an odd thing. I find lighter XC type frames quite flexy and not very confidence inspiring. A trailable DH/FR bike makes a mediocre rider a better rider in most cases.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Cheers for the ideas , I never thought a tie spring would shave so much wieght off ill look into that first

gnar, brah
    A Ti spring won't save as much as an air shock. There is no way that a Ti spring is a full pound lighter than a steel spring....
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well to keep it versatile and save you weight here are some good options * though it gets pricey* like the guy above said a Crossmax wheelset is a very light wheel set but still tough enough for some moderate FR, a Thompson seatpost will save a bit of weight, titanium spring on the shock, UST Tubeless 2.35 tires, Pro taper handlebars, you can even back off to a weight weenie seat, ohhhhh dont forget the awesomeness of speed holes in the frame! ;p