Trail progress this summer... NOVA- Mtbr.com
    check your six

Trail progress this summer... NOVA

In response / repose of the Poachers thread, here is the progress we have made on our trail here in Northern Virginia. We do not have much elevation to work with, but we make do with what we have. This first group of pictures is of the dirt line, hand dug and shovel only. These are solid dirt baby, no filler. (maybe a little OCD, but hey, I take pride in the art of DJ building/ Dirt launch building). The leaves are starting to fall like crazy here, so the trail is not a dominant as usual. All in all we have a good little trail going, but we need some more shovels and rakes in the mix. I will bombard this thread with more pictures of the other lines later.

Lots of hours lugging lumber and materials out in the woods. Lots-o-shovel hours too. Mikes muscle and patience, Brians ingenuity and mathematical skills, and my ditch digging passion made for a pretty good NOVA freeride trail.

By the way it is a classified location, but more than willing to find other riders/builders though. .
    Attached Images Attached Images

check your six
    The two big dirt jumps are right around 13ft lip to lip. The others are about 8-10ft lip to lip. All big stunts have a go-around.

check your six

Some wood features...

Here are some of the wood features we have. Some drops, skinnies, rolly-pollys, and wood kickers to dirt trannys followd by a wood kicker to hip. Fun stuff...

Glad to Be Alive
    very cool
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

check your six

More wood features...

Here are some more wood stunts/features that have been built. Some are mellow, some are fairly intense. For example, the Power Tower, which is the large mega structure that you see from a distance. The previous pictures I posted has Luke Skyscraper in it, crazy too, it is the one before the 25ft wall ride, called Wall-Doh... Brians monster...

Enjoy

check your six

And last but not least...

This and beyond is uncharted territory...... advice??? Help??? Please.!?.!?

There are many more smaller thingers, but not worth posting. There are more skinnies, jumps,drops, and a few tables. The tables are pretty sweet, but they are the same color as the leaves and dirt, and did not show up well in the picture. The pictures do not do them justice. It is a fun trail, but we need more flow and a way back to the top.. lol.. Thanks to those who have helped..

Glad to Be Alive
    still sweet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

check your six

Thanks

Hey thanks SMT. I just wish we had some more elevation or somewhat of a steep to work with.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    damn man im in nova too that look sweet, if work means id be able to rid eit idd be more then willing. im jsut not gettin into freerid eand id love to train/help build there. my kona build is almost done. let me know i will help out and i have 1 or 2 friends that would be more then willing to help, i dont know if they would ride(not quiet up to that yet) again man let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Can I be your riding buddy ? Awesome.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Very nice. Those stunts look like you guys used a bit of creativity when you built them. They look like what I call good 'brain candy' stunts.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Looks good brother. Does it snow in that part of VA?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike00
    Looks good brother. Does it snow in that part of VA?
    I'm pretty sure, with the exception of the southeasternmost coastal area, that all of VA is susceptible to snow. We get snow here in Middle Tennessee and VA is more north than us.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    On the same topic, I just moved 4 miles from the following trail. If you know who is in charge or when you work on it, please PM me. I work part time and am more then willing to build.

check your six
    Thanks for the comments guys!! To answer the questions, yes it does snow here, but not usually till December or so. There will be some constant maintenance done to the wood features this winter/spring.

As for anyone who what's to ride, PM me and we can meet up somewhere. I usually meet riders at the Baron Cameron dirt jumps; it is an easy place to find.

*** Disclaimer - Hunting season is starting up around here. We have made a verbal agreement with a few of the hunters that hunt the land, that we will not ride first thing in the morning during hunting season. And if you come out, don't be shocked by the big black guys with shotguns at the entrance of the trail... lol... seriously. people. They scared the sh*t out of me the other day. Nothing like rolling out of the trail only to see two big ass dudes holding shotguns looking as startled as you. They be squirrel huntin in the evenings. ***

Thankfully I have a bright orange bike with white rims, can't miss me.

Thanks again guys, I am off to the shop to disassemble my 888 RC2X VA.... This will be fun for a first timer.... lol...

Oh yeah.... Virginia riders!! Going to ride the Watershed Sunday, (if I get my fork back together), anyone going to be up there?

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    hey man ill go ahead and pm you abotu meeting up and buil;ding and what not. that trail look sick and i really would love to add on.......thanks in advance....and where are these dirt jumps your speak of?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    Thanks for the comments guys!! To answer the questions, yes it does snow here, but not usually till December or so. There will be some constant maintenance done to the wood features this winter/spring.
    What constant maintenance do you need to do to the wood features?
    If' you're talking about treating the wood, a cheap way is; small bucket, 4" paintbrush and used engine oil. Use that on all the structural components.
    Use inexpensive paint mixed with some sand for the riding surfaces.
    One other thing I'd recommend, if you have access to cedar trees, use that wood as much as possible; it is one of the most rot resistant wood around.

As for anyone who what's to ride, PM me and we can meet up somewhere. I usually meet riders at the Baron Cameron dirt jumps; it is an easy place to find.
    PM sent, but not for a ride request.
    What part of VA is this in?
    If you're ever in the Middle Tennesse area let me know. You are welcome to come jam at our park.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by lax30
    hey man ill go ahead and pm you abotu meeting up and buil;ding and what not. that trail look sick and i really would love to add on.......thanks in advance....and where are these dirt jumps your speak of?
    lax30,
    I got your PM (as well as other peoples), I am looking forward to riding.

This trail is in the sterling / ashburn / leesburg / area or so. lol...

The dirt jumps I spoke of are in Reston, Va. It is a nice little DJ section that some guys have been working on for some time. All of them are really cool guys. The location of the dirt jumps is not so private, but at the same time they perfer respectable riders. You know, take out what you bring in, don't trash the place, fix what you destroy, and if you get hurt, your problem type of place. (Fractured my elbow there a few months ago)

I am going to try to make it to the Frederick Watershed on Sunday. It is up by Frederick, MD. The bad part of that place is, you gotta shuttle, just have too. And the lines are hard to find, once you do, they are all sweet! I think it is the biggest stuff in the NOVA/MD area.

Lax30, are you close?

rmb_mike,
    Winter maintenance will consist of replacing wood that cracks or swells too bad. We are not too concerned about weather proofing it, as it is just easier to put a new board on the stunt, rather than seal everything. Most stuff will be fine, but there will be some things that will require attention.

Shop *****
    HEY. You are driving me and Andrew to the shed next weekend. No questions... I want to ride there, damnit!
    (Meaning 2 days from now...)
    DAMNIT!
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    HEY. You are driving me and Andrew to the shed next weekend. No questions... I want to ride there, damnit!
    (Meaning 2 days from now...)
    DAMNIT!

We are trying to figure out the ride status as of now. And I have to make sure I get my fork back together. We have two vehicles, two bike racks that hold two bikes, one guy might meet us there, another might ride with us. So as of now, things are all up in the air. But if there is room, for sure you guys are welcome.

*Think the Domain can handle it?? lol.. I bent my crankarm last time I was there by landing on a rock, pedal down. It hurt me too.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    im in centreville, so im only like 45 mins away from fredrick, and restons only 20 mins away if that(traffic) like i said though im down to ride most anytime

Shop *****
    Well, some of us are more smooth than others (cough cough)
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    rmb_mike,
    Winter maintenance will consist of replacing wood that cracks or swells too bad. We are not too concerned about weather proofing it, as it is just easier to put a new board on the stunt, rather than seal everything. Most stuff will be fine, but there will be some things that will require attention.
    If the boards are already cracked, then I can understand that; replace them. However, if you coat them with some sort of petroleum based liquid, very little moisture will get into the boards to make them crack or swell in the first place, and you'd really not have to worry about them again (at least for several years).
    You wouldn't have a deck at your house w/o using something like Thompson's water seal on it, would you?
    In addition, if you used the paint/sand mix on the decking pieces, it makes them more grippy in addition to protecting it from the elements.
    I'm not trying to sound condescending. I just wanted to offer some low-budget preventative maintenance advice.

check your six
    Alright, I sucessfully disassembled the 888 and changed the oil, I am ready to go to the Watershed now. Drakan is in, but his buddy bailed. Not only bailed, but SOLD his bike??? WTF?!?!? Got room for one more, any NOVA riders want to roll the Shed in the A.M.?? Leaving Herndon around 6-7 am-ish. PM me if yoyu are interested.

** Disclaimer - The Watershed is fairly intense, not going to be a fun ride for greenhorn. lol..

Members who have read this thread: 0