Tr450 vs V10 carbon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Tr450 vs V10 carbon

Looking for thoughts and opinions on both of these rides. Especially if you have ridden both

mtbr member
    I have about 4-5 months ride time on a TR450. The bike is very good. Great at turning and very agile. Pretty stiff overall and a great buy. No time on the CV-10 just the 2010 BTW.....

bike rider
    I was really happy with my V10 all race season. Now that resorts are closed and it's being pedaled and jumped a lot I'm using the 8" setting and I've gotta say this kind of versatility is great. A friend raced the TR450 and had success on it. He seems particularly fast in corners so maybe that's a strong point of that frame. However, I hate seeing pivots right in front of the tire where they get sprayed, my frame is like 3lb lighter, and I assume mine is plusher when braking. I wouldn't want any other frame.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 11-05-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ordered a 2012 TR450 and have had some ride time. They are great bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    tr450, v10c was way too flexy and noodly for me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    really..was it the linkages that felt noodly and flexy?

bike rider
    I can't feel any flex but Minaar thinks the Driver 8 upper link feels stiffer than the stock V10 link.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Couldn't isolate where the flex was coming from, but I would lean towards the tranny. People that ride... ride transition

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    just wondering why these 2 .. they are as different as can be..

both are DH bikes, but ones Single pivot, the other VPP, opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of suspension.

both are good bikes, i dont think one rides "better" then the other, but if your a weight weenie, go with the V10c, other then that. when they are so far apart in how they ride, its impossible to say which would suit you better, but i honestly think you will be happy with either.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatepedaling View Post
    Couldn't isolate where the flex was coming from, but I would lean towards the tranny. People that ride... ride transition
    really? so i guess steve peat, greg minaar, josh bryceland, cedric gracia, don't really "ride".

noodle-ly? maybe you should understand that many times flex comes from the wheelset.

but maybe because you're such a skilled and perceptive rider you can tease that out from riding around the parking lot. you should call SC Syndicate to give you a place in their team.

both the TR450 and V10C will hold up to anything an amateur rider/racer can throw at it and then some. what differentiates it for me is 3 things: weight, price, and suspension performance.

the latter, suspension performance, is most important for me. having ridden single pivots and linkage driven single pivots, i prefer the VPP for better pedalling and suppleness under braking.

both will be durable and customer support for both SC and Transition are pretty good.

bike rider
    ^I don't know about the rest of The Syndicate but Minaar was feeling some flex and replaced the upper link with one from a Driver 8. He said there was no difference in geo or shock rate but it's stiffer than the V10 upper link.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Totally different bikes...but I ran a TR450 all season, someone wanted to trade me it for a v10 carbon so i figured I wanted to try it out, but now i'd trade back in an instant.
    V10's linkage is kinda flexy but it's just an amazingly fast bike, i'd say faster than the 450. it's super light too. don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with the v10c, but the 450 just feels so natural. It is fast, smooth, and jumps way better. But yeah, whoever said people that ride, ride transition is so true. Just a great bunch of guys to support. I may be a touch prejudiced because I may have owned more transitions than anyone ever, but they're just fun bikes, well built, and beautiful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    really? so i guess steve peat, greg minaar, josh bryceland, cedric gracia, don't really "ride".

noodle-ly? maybe you should understand that many times flex comes from the wheelset.

but maybe because you're such a skilled and perceptive rider you can tease that out from riding around the parking lot. you should call SC Syndicate to give you a place in their team.

both the TR450 and V10C will hold up to anything an amateur rider/racer can throw at it and then some. what differentiates it for me is 3 things: weight, price, and suspension performance.

the latter, suspension performance, is most important for me. having ridden single pivots and linkage driven single pivots, i prefer the VPP for better pedalling and suppleness under braking.

both will be durable and customer support for both SC and Transition are pretty good.

Lol, woah CHILL OU DUDE !

Interesting you say suspension performance is the most important thing for you BUT yet you prefer the pedaling and braking behavior of a bike... I get what your saying but I find your post slightly contradictory

Yes, I know the suspension design has a lot to do with how a bike pedals and behave under braking ( althgouth the right settings on the rear shock can go a long way to help the bike pedaling capabilities ) BUT we are talking DH bikes here, shouldnt pedaling AND braking be lower on the priorities list? Yes, I also know how important it is to pedals and you can make up a lot of time with good braking but on most DH tracks, 75% of the time you arent pedaling and as for braking , well braking SLOWS you down...Again ,not saying it isnt important to pedal or brake more effectively but I dont think they should be first when talking about DH bikes suspension performances..

In terms of suspension performance , SP are hard to beat really...They usually track and accelerate better than multilink design and their rear shocks can also be easier to tuned for manufacturers.

That said having ridden both bikes myself, I still think the V-10 is more dialed than the Tr and would probably go with that bike for various reasons but the Tr is also more playfull...doesnt mean better but definitely easier to throw around.Both are so different, personally I wouldnt try to figure out which is a better design but instead which suit MY riding style better

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson View Post
    Totally different bikes...but I ran a TR450 all season, someone wanted to trade me it for a v10 carbon so i figured I wanted to try it out, but now i'd trade back in an instant.
    V10's linkage is kinda flexy but it's just an amazingly fast bike, i'd say faster than the 450. it's super light too. don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with the v10c, but the 450 just feels so natural. It is fast, smooth, and jumps way better. But yeah, whoever said people that ride, ride transition is so true. Just a great bunch of guys to support. I may be a touch prejudiced because I may have owned more transitions than anyone ever, but they're just fun bikes, well built, and beautiful.
    don't you also own a bike shop that sells exclusively transition?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by William42 View Post
    don't you also own a bike shop that sells exclusively transition?
    absolutely not...morewood, commencal, black market, cannondale, khs. that would be really stupid to sell only a small brand. we dont barely stock transitions

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    absolutely not...morewood, commencal, black market, cannondale, khs. that would be really stupid to sell only a small brand. we dont barely stock transitions
    So...you stock a lot of Transitions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ah, I stand corrected. I just see you waving the transition flag with such fervor that it turns me off of the brand to be honest. Its like you've had more kool-aid then the specialized employees.

I actually think transition is pretty rad, but hate it when people bash other bikes to try and sell their own. Its pretty lame when everything you hear about how good a bike is that "all other bikes suck, so the logical choice is this one" without actually saying anything good about one bike. Especially when you've ridden some of the other bikes they're bashing, and their hate doesn't fit with your own experience.

Anyway, I'm sure the TR450 rides fantastically, its geometry is butter, and from what I understand its similar to the old DHRs in shock rate, I bet its a whole hell of alot of fun. It doesn't seem like anybody from transition is this much of an annoying salesman, but I recommend toning it down, it doesn't do you, or transition any favors. And I suspect off the internet, you're a perfectly nice dude and don't come off as an annoying salesman.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've ridden both. I have a V10 my brother has the 450.

Quick background info: Other than the frame, our bikes are almost identical - same shocks, forks, etc. My brother is about 15-20lbs lighter than me yet runs a 450 spring on the 450. I run a 400 spring in 10" mode on the V10. My bro is faster and goes bigger than me and likes his suspension stiffer than I like mine.

We both have Double Barrels on our bikes. Once I finally got the shock set right for my bike we swapped for a couple runs. I thought immeadietly the 450 felt great, really awesome bike. Good small bump, good progression on the suspension curve. Even though my brother runs his suspension stiffer than I like, all this felt great on the Transition, which I was most surprised with. The geo feels good, but I'm not super sensitive to small geo differences.

My brother also thought the V10 felt really good as well, the suspension was set a bit soft for his liking.

I did'nt feel flex was a perceptible issue on either bike.

As set up my V10 is exactly 2.5lbs lighter than the 450. We could both feel the weight difference, particularly in the air off a jump. The V10 is a bit easier to throw around. Its also a little easier to place if you need to muscle bike for a certain line.

Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ah, I stand corrected. I just see you waving the transition flag with such fervor that it turns me off of the brand to be honest. Its like you've had more kool-aid then the specialized employees.

I actually think transition is pretty rad, but hate it when people bash other bikes to try and sell their own. Its pretty lame when everything you hear about how good a bike is that "all other bikes suck, so the logical choice is this one" without actually saying anything good about one bike. Especially when you've ridden some of the other bikes they're bashing, and their hate doesn't fit with your own experience.
    Yeah, i currently own a v10 carbon, 2011 giant glory(got it for so freakin cheap so i figured i'd give it a go), and a deity cryptkeeper...so i don't own a transition right now. The giant is surprisingly fun. way more fun than i thought it would be. sorry if i come off as transitions are better than any other brand. I've never said they were the best brand...if you can find where i bash other bikes, i'd love to see it. I've personally owned probably 50 dh/fr bikes over the years and i have pros and cons about every bike. I still think i'd get a 450 at this point over any other dh bike i've ridden. They just are still super fast, jump amazing, and feel so natural to me
    Last edited by nmpearson; 12-22-2011 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    keep your wise cracks to yourself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMack10 View Post
    I've ridden both. I have a V10 my brother has the 450.

Quick background info: Other than the frame, our bikes are almost identical - same shocks, forks, etc. My brother is about 15-20lbs lighter than me yet runs a 450 spring on the 450. I run a 400 spring in 10" mode on the V10. My bro is faster and goes bigger than me and likes his suspension stiffer than I like mine.

We both have Double Barrels on our bikes. Once I finally got the shock set right for my bike we swapped for a couple runs. I thought immeadietly the 450 felt great, really awesome bike. Good small bump, good progression on the suspension curve. Even though my brother runs his suspension stiffer than I like, all this felt great on the Transition, which I was most surprised with. The geo feels good, but I'm not super sensitive to small geo differences.

My brother also thought the V10 felt really good as well, the suspension was set a bit soft for his liking.

I did'nt feel flex was a perceptible issue on either bike.

As set up my V10 is exactly 2.5lbs lighter than the 450. We could both feel the weight difference, particularly in the air off a jump. The V10 is a bit easier to throw around. Its also a little easier to place if you need to muscle bike for a certain line.

Hope that helps

Try running your suspension firmer then, sounds like that might be what you need. This will improve your air and cornering as the bike wont squat as much in the corners and take offs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spooney View Post
    Try running your suspension firmer then, sounds like that might be what you need. This will improve your air and cornering as the bike wont squat as much in the corners and take offs.
    It feels great now. Initially I was running it too stiff. My feet were getting bounced off the pedals on chatter. Also, the rebound, especially with the DB, makes a huge difference and needs to be carefully tuned.

Something I didnt initially say: if I wasnt running the V10 I think I would be on a TR450. I rode Intense for a long time, then switched to the V10. Transition wasnt even really on my radar until my brother got his, and I really like that bike.

mtbr member
    sell both brands ---

V10 = super cha-ching but super bling.

Tr450 = bling w/out as much cha ching

both are super sweet rides.

can't go wrong with either.

drop-outs on the Tr450 are not quite as user friendly as Santa Cruz. --- and the Tr450 doesn't come stock with a grease gun
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    at 12 bucks, stocking it with a grease gun isn't a huge deal. whats a bigger deal (to me) is the fact that it has grease ports, which actually make a grease gun useful.

mtbr member
    at 12 bucks, stocking it with a grease gun isn't a huge deal. whats a bigger deal (to me) is the fact that it has grease ports, which actually make a grease gun useful.

to clarify -- light humor -- the fact the V10 comes stock with a grease gun.

that SC grease is worth its weight in gold
    Pedalshop.com also on Facebook
    Marin - Transition - Santa Cruz - Cove...