Totem coil 2010 compression- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Totem coil 2010 compression

Hi there,
    I`ve got a problem. I don`t feel any differences in fork working when i`m turning high speed and low speed compression knobs. Maybe it`s difficult to feel difference or maybe something is wrong with my totem ? Can You help me please ?
    The fork is on warranty but I`ve bought it from germany and I live in Poland so the postage is a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by SeVV
    Hi there,
    I`ve got a problem. I don`t feel any differences in fork working when i`m turning high speed and low speed compression knobs. Maybe it`s difficult to feel difference or maybe something is wrong with my totem ? Can You help me please ?
    The fork is on warranty but I`ve bought it from germany and I live in Poland so the postage is a last resort.
    Do you feel any differences if you change the rebound settings?
    Turning it to full slow, for instance.

If you don't, the oil from the damper (the upper part of the right side of the fork) migrated to the lowers, meaning you have a worn or faulty o-ring. It can be easily fixed with the totem service kit.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, I can feel the difference in fork workin clearly when I`m changing rebound settings. Only compression isn`t cleary.. I don`t know does it work or not..

Woohooo! Moderator
    Yes, I can feel the difference in fork workin clearly when I`m changing rebound settings. Only compression isn`t cleary.. I don`t know does it work or not..
    Try taking the spring out of your fork and compressing the fork. The low speed is going to be more obvious so try it first. Open it up to full fast and move the fork through it's travel. Then move it to half slow and see if you notice a difference. If not, try full slow and see if you can feel it. If you notice the low speed comp working, then turn the low speed full slow and try the same tests with the high speed. If you don't feel them working, it's time to get the fork looked at.

How is your spring rate? If your spring is too soft for your weight, you're not going to feel the compression slowing the fork down enough.

High Speed compression is almost unnoticeable in «parking lot test», yet Low Speed compression should be felt in the «parking lot test» if you make a drastic change (full closed, for instance), the oil in the damper also makes a characteristic sound of the oil trying to pass through damper when compressing the fork.

This is assuming that you're using the right spring for your weight. If it's setup too soft for your weight, almost any compression adjustment won't make a difference as it's supposed to work with the spring to fine tune the fork damping and not so much to address issues of a too big of a difference in rider weight per fork setup.

Assuming that you have the correct spring rate for your weight and that there isn't a problem with your fork, if you're not feeling any difference in compression changes you should make bigger changes instead of small ones.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I weight about 78 kilograms and my spring is the silver one. I tried the blue one but I felt that fork was working worse. I`ll try to take the spring out and check everyting again. But if it will not help ?

Woohooo! Moderator
    I weight about 78 kilograms and my spring is the silver one. I tried the blue one but I felt that fork was working worse. I`ll try to take the spring out and check everyting again. But if it will not help ?
    I'm 71kg and using the silver (soft) spring--you might be a little heavy for that (assuming it's the same silver spring we have in the States). Did you get a yellow (medium) spring? You might want to try that. I think the blue one is extra soft so that would definitely not be correct.

If it doesn't work with the spring out, then it's time to take it to a shop.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry for my mistake, I was trying silver one but it was too soft and now I`m riding on blue one. I`ve readed in manual thaht blue one is for weight "160-180 lbs (72-82 kg) Blue(standard)".
    I take the spring out And maybe feel a little difference but I`m not still sure.. But When I`m turning the compression knobs to full hard position I can hear the "characteristic sound of oil trying to pass through damper when compressing the fork." Is that men that compression works properly ?

Woohooo! Moderator
    The springs must be different in Europe (and the '10 Totem springs are different on the '09 forks too from what I've seen). Our manual doesn't come with a weight chart so I've been guessing the red spring was too hard for me, as was the yellow so I'm down to the silver, and I'm still playing around (and still carry the yellow spring in my camelbak).

I would think that with the spring out, you would feel a noticable change betwen full open and full slow on the low speed. Anyone else play around with this? I haven't tried it yet, but I will try it when I have time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    After longer testing I think that I feel the difference. It isn`t very clear but in thr end of travel it`s more difficult to bottom out the fork. I think that the characteristic sound confirms that compression works ?

Sorry for my mistake, I was trying silver one but it was too soft and now I`m riding on blue one. I`ve readed in manual thaht blue one is for weight "160-180 lbs (72-82 kg) Blue(standard)".
    I take the spring out And maybe feel a little difference but I`m not still sure.. But When I`m turning the compression knobs to full hard position I can hear the "characteristic sound of oil trying to pass through damper when compressing the fork." Is that men that compression works properly ?
    Unless the oil isn't at the correct level, yes it's working correctly.
    With the low speed compression you should feel a slight stiffening of the fork (which can be felt more effectively with the spring on).

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So I only need to fill up the oil ? And everything with fork is fine ?

So I only need to fill up the oil ? And everything with fork is fine ?
    Without being able to see the fork in person that's always hard to say for sure, but from your description, it can even be with the right oil levels now.
    I'm basically saying that, that could be one of the reasons for the dampening not working.

If you've never opened up your fork, but feel comfortable with it, check these instructions from SRAM itself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl0GdF0w5hI
    &
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMN8sM5OHRg

Also, check the correct oil levels for the Totem, here:
    http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rocks.../TM_MY09_E.pdf

mtbr member
    May 2009
    But what about the warranty ?

But what about the warranty ?
    As far as I know, it doesn't void the warranty, yet if you feel unconfortable with it, you should send it to warranty, with your description of what's not working and they'll sort you out.

(To be honest, I thought you were avoiding sending it to warranty, hence my replies of ways of trying to narrow the problem down or fixing it yourself.)

Members who have read this thread: 0