Totem Air to Coil Conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Totem Air to Coil Conversion

I have a Totem Solo Air as yet unused awaiting final build. I would like your opinion on what benefits/disadvantages there would be to changing to a coil version? Has anybody got experience of both types?

banned
    I have not ridden them back to back, but what I can offer is one feature: with the air, one can tune the preload exactly. SRAM doesn't provide for this provision with the Totem coil. One must get a coil that's supposed to work for a range.

I have briefly used a Solo Air and wouldn't have known it was air unless I looked. Perhaps they add progressivity too.

mtbr member
    I have both (but don't have as much time on the Air as I do on the Coil). The Coil is plusher in the first couple of inches of travel (and about .3 lbs heavier with the same steerer length)... Once it's deeper into it's travel, they both feel the same... I mostly feel this difference in the smaller, faster stuff (think stutter bumps)...

Ideas Above My Station...
    I have been riding Solo Air for 10 months, and just converted it to a Coil through TFTuned last week.

That obviously included a custom tune which is worth it alone! The fork lasted 3 runs before the Mission control knob started pi55ing out agin (Was the reason i sent it off to begin with!) so i sent it back and he sorted it out a second time for free, which was good.

Anyway, for the few runs, it was noticeably plusher in the first part of the travel, smoothing out the small stuff and feels a bit grippier too, and less 'bouncy'.

I'm DH'ing all day Monday on it so i'll be able to give a better insight then.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    I

The fork lasted 3 runs before the Mission control knob started pi55ing out agin (Was the reason i sent it off to begin with!) so i sent it back and he sorted it out a second time for free, which was good..

I have owned 4 RS forks and 3 have had oil leaking out the damper.

the very breif time i had on both of them the coil felt way more plush. I owned a solo air for a few rides. It is very hard to get the right amount of air pressure in it.

i would go for the coil for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Guys thanks for your feedback.

Orange-Goblin, would be very interested in your update after Easter. Do you know what the TFTuned tune includes.....is it just up rated seals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange-Goblin
    I have been riding Solo Air for 10 months, and just converted it to a Coil through TFTuned last week.

That obviously included a custom tune which is worth it alone! The fork lasted 3 runs before the Mission control knob started pi55ing out agin (Was the reason i sent it off to begin with!) so i sent it back and he sorted it out a second time for free, which was good.

Anyway, for the few runs, it was noticeably plusher in the first part of the travel, smoothing out the small stuff and feels a bit grippier too, and less 'bouncy'.

I'm DH'ing all day Monday on it so i'll be able to give a better insight then.
    How much did TF converting it set you back?

Think it was around 80 for the tune, including new seals and wipers and a few other little bits, I'll post the full spec with the review. The conversion was 80 in parts roughly.

More info soon, off to test them now though!!!

mtbr member
    Cheers for the info.

Cool let us know how u get on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Karve

Does your Solo Air make a clunking sound? Tim told me that this is usual with the air version and is another reason to go coil? What are your findings, since I have not used mine yet?

Orange- Goblin, how to you find the conversion?

mtbr member
    I've had a good amount of time on both. I had a hard time getting the Solo Air the way I liked it. To make it plush I removed air but then had no midstroke and I could practically bottom it out when braking hard. When I firmed up the air for the midstroke the fork lost all plushness and I was getting beat up. I guess it wouldn't be so bad for just FR/DH stuff but I'm using it on the trails as well.

When I converted it to coil all those problems went away. Now the midstroke is firmed up and the small bump is quite plush. Overall I'm very happy with the Totem coil. I was about to ditch the Solo air to go with a Van36. I'm glad I converted it to coil instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Karve

Does your Solo Air make a clunking sound? Tim told me that this is usual with the air version and is another reason to go coil? What are your findings, since I have not used mine yet?

Orange- Goblin, how to you find the conversion?
    Not really... there is a teeny bit of top out when u pull the forks out but only when standing there yanking on the bars - not when riding.

It cost around 150 overall, and if i'm honest, as yet, i'm not convinced its worth it.

I had one day of uplift on them after conversion, and the mission control knob started leaking again (That was the main impetus to send them off) so that was annoying, i sent them back to TFT and they fixed it up again for free which was good.

Then i had another day of Uplift last weekend and they did feel very good, definitely track a little better (Not so bouncy so they stick to the ground better) and they ramp up well.

They feel very weird, because just siting on the bike and pushing them down, they seem to ramp up about half way through their travel and stiffen up more at the last half of the stroke, which makes them seem like they'll be less plush and you're not getting all your travel.

BUT when your on the track they EAT it up brilliantly and its a bit like you don't notice them so much, they just work.

There's not so much 'ping' off lips and the rebound is set for plushness so i had to get used to a little bit different way of pre-jumping.

Overall i'd say they were a bit better, but maybe one days riding isn't enough? I tend to think they may give me more confidence through the rough stuff, but i'll have to get used to that to really feel the benefit. 150 is quite a lot, so i'm hoping for good things!!

The major downer is that the Mission Control knob is now leaking AGAIN! Which i am pretty pi55ed off about considering that TFT said they'd sorted it.

So, if/when they sort that and i get another full days riding under my belt i can give some better insight.

Hopes this helps for the minute. I'll follow up asap when its fixed and i've ridden it more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Orange-Goblin,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll wait for your longer term report before getting it done to mine and shelling out 150.00. Hope they can fix the leak...please let us know what they say about this.

mtbr member
    I have both as well; for my Highline. Already had to replace the Coil (barely one season of usage), and now the Air is leaking oil. That said, both handle great; and as you can expect, air feels like air and coil feels like coil. Depends if you really need the weight difference and also adjustability of air preload; otherwise coil feels as others say here, more plush.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Orange Goblin
    I dont know if the Totems are the same as the pike with this issue but I sent my pike in for a service, TF Tuned, before I left the UK. Just a general service but also to fix the slow oil leak from what appeared to be the Compression knob. I hadnt ridden the pike for about a year but I changed frames for the move so it was the fork of choice. I arrived in Korea and had no probs for a month or so till I found a technical street drop. I landed front heavy and when I got home I found oil all over the right leg. I called TFtuned and I was informed there is a lip seal which pops and allows oil to leak. Apparently its a simple case of reseatting the lip. I was also told by the Mech that they were trying out alternative seal and had fouond an improved seal for the job.
    It may be worthwhile calling and checking what the deal is. This seams to be a common issue with RS and may put me off pickking up a Totem and going 66.
    Let us know what they do to solve it.

Members who have read this thread: 0