Too bad new Juicy 7s look so TOY- Mtbr.com
    Hella Olde

Too bad new Juicy 7s look so TOY

Any comments on the aesthetics? I may still forgo looks for performance, but damn, they could've done a better job with the finish, etc. Also, what's with the 'feature' where the levers pop out into extendo-position?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Are you refering to the Juicy Carbon's

I think the carbons look fine. I still think every disc brake should get some Danger Boy levers though. At the very least you get a brake that weighs a huge 10 grams less. The lever pulling out is so you can get to the adjustment screws easier.

My 2 cents

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40
    Any comments on the aesthetics? I may still forgo looks for performance, but damn, they could've done a better job with the finish, etc. Also, what's with the 'feature' where the levers pop out into extendo-position?
    I got the 5's because the red knob on the 7's looked too fragile. I havn't broken them in completely but so far the performance is very impressive.
    Banned

Former Noob Herder
    they look way better than my industrial looking Purples Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They look like toys, eh? I count my bikes as toys so I guess that's why it never bothered me.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    They look like toys, eh? I count my bikes as toys so I guess that's why it never bothered me.
    +1 to that...

toys = gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme....

drool:

mtbr member
    juicy 7s are sick. i have hayes and i like the 7s way better. they have more power and seem to have a nice design.

Disco-Superfly
    I like juicy7 levers but the calipers look funny.... awesome brakes though
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    The extedo position is for climbing, it gets the levers out of the way for more hand room
    I sold my soul for pennies....but I got a VP Free thrown in as well, man what a deal

Bum Buzzer
    Would you prefer it wrecked the master cylinder? Its a good featyre, as are the bending levers.... As fart as toys - the only thing I can imagine you're talking about is the contact adjuster - its durable - has been recommended you swap levers so the dial is under rather than on top of the lever for crashing.....

And the Juicy Carbons look SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK! (IMHO)

N* Bomber Crew
    I think they look fine. The way they're designed assists more towards performance rather than looks. Regardless, you'll always be able to pick out what brakes people are running when you see the ninja rotors.

I had Hayes and they looked ok, but I'm now more into the "weight saver" style rotor (Shimano, Avid, Hope).
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

STP
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    +1 to that...

drool:
    Damn Luc how many more toys do you need? Just kidding I'm just as bad

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    Quote Originally Posted by SCNEWBIE
    The extedo position is for climbing, it gets the levers out of the way for more hand room
    are you crazy?

but seriously, the real reason is for a small amount of give in the lever so if you crash and it gets pulled out, it has less chance to tear out the reservior. it makes them more resiliant.

the thing about reaching the set screw is just a convinience.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    Would you prefer it wrecked the master cylinder? Its a good featyre, as are the bending levers.... As fart as toys - the only thing I can imagine you're talking about is the contact adjuster - its durable - has been recommended you swap levers so the dial is under rather than on top of the lever for crashing.....

You can just undo the c-clip and put it under.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    You can just undo the c-clip and put it under.
    That simple? Damn.. they already had a good grade - FIFTY POINTS TO GRYFFINDOR!

Hella Olde
    +1 to that...

drool:
    Yeah the Carbons are much better looking, but I was referring to the standard 7s. Too bad they didnt go with the polished master cylinders of the prerelease hype model. I will get some 7s...I am coming from Hope where aesthetics are a bit more developed on the high end models. You know what I'm sayin....not trying to stir it up, but IMHO they are a bit underfinished.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebike1

but seriously, the real reason is for a small amount of give in the lever so if you crash and it gets pulled out, it has less chance to tear out the reservior. it makes them more resiliant.

wow, sounds like you were the lead designer!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    are you crazy?

Do the 5's have this same lever feature?
    Banned

mtbr member
    are you crazy?

then why would they lock in the extended position, seems stupid if it is only to keep the reservoir from blowing out.
    I sold my soul for pennies....but I got a VP Free thrown in as well, man what a deal

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Yeah the Carbons are much better looking, but I was referring to the standard 7s. Too bad they didnt go with the polished master cylinders of the prerelease hype model. I will get some 7s...I am coming from Hope where aesthetics are a bit more developed on the high end models. You know what I'm sayin....not trying to stir it up, but IMHO they are a bit underfinished.
    Other than the nice addition (or should I say re-addition) of the split clamp, the new 2006 J7's are pretty much the same as this year's Juicy's. I think they look pretty nice. I think the Juicy 5's look killer in black - the only think you'll be sacrificing is the Speed Dial.

Trust me, once you start using the Juicy's you'll forget all about aesthetics

Here are some pics for you of the 2006 Juicy 7 vs Juicy 5

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by STP
    Damn Luc how many more toys do you need? Just kidding I'm just as bad
    hahahaha....you know me too well

Quote Originally Posted by SCNEWBIE
    then why would they lock in the extended position, seems stupid if it is only to keep the reservoir from blowing out.
    why is it stupid if it could end up saving you the trouble and money of having to buy a whole new brake?

mtbr member
    TOY....
    what are u ganster or some thing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    why is it stupid if it could end up saving you the trouble and money of having to buy a whole new brake?
    Yeah, about that . . . the set screw is for reach and the knob is for power. Not for saving the master cylinder in a crash. Interesting idea, though.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumbaX
    TOY....
    what are u ganster or some thing
    for me, 'TOY' come from the writer community.
    Without Toys there would be no Kings, right?

I should have said they just looked a little ruff around the design edges for Avid's high-end offering...I cant wait to rock some though.

(Another ex-Hope rider with unreasonably high expectations)
    Last edited by DH40; 09-12-2005 at 01:19 PM.

Hella Olde
    Thanks for the pix, Luc...do you find yourself using the dial?

Other than the nice addition (or should I say re-addition) of the split clamp, the new 2006 J7's are pretty much the same as this year's Juicy's. I think they look pretty nice. I think the Juicy 5's look killer in black - the only think you'll be sacrificing is the Speed Dial.

Trust me, once you start using the Juicy's you'll forget all about aesthetics

Here are some pics for you of the 2006 Juicy 7 vs Juicy 5

T.Dot Represent

ive got 5's

they have been sick. very powerfull... when riding i use 2 fingers on the front 1 in the back... modulation is far superior on these then to the set of hayes mags i had before....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Thanks for the pix, Luc...do you find yourself using the dial?
    yes I use the dial.

when I first got juicy's, I wasn't too good at bleeding them, turns our I had a bad bleed on my rear brake (on my trail bike). one hot day they were slightly pumped up - a few turn of the dial made them feel better until I was able to re-bleed them.

After a new bleed. I always use the red dial to get them at my desired feel.

Yeah, about that . . . the set screw is for reach and the knob is for power. Not for saving the master cylinder in a crash. Interesting idea, though.
    i didn't say the knob was for saving the cylinder. read again.

and the red dial is for contact point to have even lever feel. not for power.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i didn't say the knob was for saving the cylinder. read again.

and the red dial is for contact point to have even lever feel. not for power.
    The way I read your first post was that the reach screw existed to allow for more play in the lever throw, which isn't the case. It simply changes where the lever sits in relation to the master cylinder and lever body to compensate for different hand sizes. I suppose my reply was a bit hasty; if I'm still missing your point, let me know. Not trying to flame, I'm just sort of confused.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

The way I read your first post was that the reach screw existed to allow for more play in the lever throw, which isn't the case. It simply changes where the lever sits in relation to the master cylinder and lever body to compensate for different hand sizes. I suppose my reply was a bit hasty; if I'm still missing your point, let me know. Not trying to flame, I'm just sort of confused.
    i see what happened. it's cool. but i'll clarify for everybody.

red dial = contact point for lever even-ness when engaging brakes (saves you from bleeding)

set screw (on inside of resivior & lever) = reach adj.

extendo position = allows for give when lever is knocked outwards ( hleps prevent tearing out master cylinder/resivior

only yeti with dh skills

red knob

Quote Originally Posted by jkish
    I got the 5's because the red knob on the 7's looked too fragile. I havn't broken them in completely but so far the performance is very impressive.
    hi, i ve used my 7`s for a year now and crashed many times....so far the red knobs are still there...i also thought they would fall of at the first crash, but they re little tough bastards.
    Supported by: www.biroma.ch
    Food: Tuna Salad and Lasagna
    Hate: Winter, Zürich's City Council, Zürich's Old People, Winter...Specially Zürich's Winter, Zürich's Prices
    Love: Zürich B-itches

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai

you don't even need to swap levers, just undo the c clip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Heah, the five's have extendo as well, I thought it might to assist in the brake lever from being pulled in when the wheel is not on the bike. I have been told it is a no no as it can be difficult to get the pads apart.
    Not sure about this though, might just be the goose at the bike shops paranoa. I also own an XT set for my XC bike & I've pull the leaver in when the wheel is not on & it was no wuckas..

mtbr member
    I have h=got sevens on both of my bikes, I love them so much, I use the poping out of the lever for gate starts so I can wrap my wrists around the bars better. and it keeps me entertained when I am waiting in line at the dirt jumps. just pop em' in and out all day... I wonder if that is bad for them... whatever it is fun to do!
    -Peter

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    i just got my sevens today. i mnot sure if they need more power, bigger rotor or just arent broken in yet, but these arent any better than my rim brakes. they also make a SQEAK noise when i use the front. are they just not broken in yet or will it always be like this. i also have a very haeavy wheel set and im running a 5 inch, if that could be a problem.
    SELLING-

Manitou Stance Statioc

Huricane FORK UP

Tioga XC Rims Still in wrap

Pain Is A State Of Mind
    those are the sweetest looking brake and brake levers
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

T.Dot Represent
    Quote Originally Posted by 26InchRoller
    I have h=got sevens on both of my bikes, I love them so much, I use the poping out of the lever for gate starts so I can wrap my wrists around the bars better. and it keeps me entertained when I am waiting in line at the dirt jumps. just pop em' in and out all day... I wonder if that is bad for them... whatever it is fun to do!
    -Peter

yeah that pop saved my levers on many occasions!!!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle