Tires, Tires, Tires,....... help??- Mtbr.com
    check your six

Tires, Tires, Tires,....... help??

O.k., here's the story. I am running 2.5 Minions front and rear on a set of Outlaws. The past few weekends we have been getting into some pretty knarly stuff and going bigger, faster, and harder. Lot-o-rocks and rough terrain, big drops to flat, some with trannies, just all around fun. Anyway, my rear outlaw has developed a sever "wobble" and taken a few dings and dents.

Soo.... I know I need to run some bigger tires on there, but what ones? 2.7's, 2.8's?

I am aware of the Nevengals, Minions, and WTB Timberwolf. I know there are others out there. I do not know much about Michelins.

So my question is what tire would you run in those circumstances? Which tires are stronger, i.e...? sidewall to avoid denting my rims and pinch flats.

*** Disclaimer, I am not the smoothest rider, I like to hurl myself off anything.**

Also, any ideas on what hoop to get to replace the rear outlaw hoop? Kinds looks like a stop sign.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    hey man sounds like your having fun out there, i got my e-13 and saint all setup this weekend, let me know when you want to ride so ive got a good reason to buy a new wheels set too...as for the topic i use nevegals, they work out nice when pressures dialed in.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by lax30
    hey man sounds like your having fun out there, i got my e-13 and saint all setup this weekend, let me know when you want to ride so ive got a good reason to buy a new wheels set too...as for the topic i use nevegals, they work out nice when pressures dialed in.

What's up man! Looked for you Friday, but you must have been busy. Went to the Shed again this weekend, that place is rough on bikes.

Do you run 2.5's or 2.7's? The 2.7 Nevengals are huge, but that might be what I am looking for. A 2.7 Nevengal it twice a big as a 2.8 Michline.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    i was running a 2.5 on one of my other bikes, at the momment im runnning the 2.35 on the kona and it seems to be fine for me to be honest with you, but again i havent really been thrashing this bike super hard yet, biggest jump i hit with it so fat is only like a 8 or 10 foot table top.

KoNa KiD
    Apr 2007
    and i ment to roll out to the shop[ on friday, but goin to ft. belvor to pick up that saint and e13 DR chain guide toooooook forever and a day. but now its all setup and seem pretty bullet proof, that saint is a rock solid crank, and now bakc to topic...tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    O.k., here's the story. I am running 2.5 Minions front and rear on a set of Outlaws. The past few weekends we have been getting into some pretty knarly stuff and going bigger, faster, and harder. Lot-o-rocks and rough terrain, big drops to flat, some with trannies, just all around fun. Anyway, my rear outlaw has developed a sever "wobble" and taken a few dings and dents.

Soo.... I know I need to run some bigger tires on there, but what ones? 2.7's, 2.8's?

I am aware of the Nevengals, Minions, and WTB Timberwolf. I know there are others out there. I do not know much about Michelins.

So my question is what tire would you run in those circumstances? Which tires are stronger, i.e...? sidewall to avoid denting my rims and pinch flats.

*** Disclaimer, I am not the smoothest rider, I like to hurl myself off anything.**

Also, any ideas on what hoop to get to replace the rear outlaw hoop? Kinds looks like a stop sign.
    Assuming they are "normal" wheels (32 or 36 hole?) you can't go wrong with a Sun Doubletrack rim. It should hold up better.

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Assuming they are "normal" wheels (32 or 36 hole?) you can't go wrong with a Sun Doubletrack rim. It should hold up better.
    I have seen those Double Tracks, they look big and burly. That is just what I need in a hoop. I am running the 36 spoke Outlaws now, the rear has taken a few dingers in the past few weeks. It is actually dissappointing considering the wheelset is rather new, but then again I have been riding some crazy rocks and drops to not so perfect landings.

I am going to true up the Outlaws again tonight, and see what next weekend will do.

I hate spoking 36 holes, 32 is much easier.

Meh.
    2.7 Nevegal is gigantic. We had to shave it to fit it on a MTX rim and in a 66.

Doubletrack seems overkill... but if you're into that, you might as well look into the original Trailpimps. I think AtomLab still has a couple they're blowing out for dirt cheap. Big and tall and wide and crazy strong.

Pivotal figure
    Are you running the Minion DH or the FR version?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    2.7 Nevegal is gigantic. We had to shave it to fit it on a MTX rim and in a 66.

Doubletrack seems overkill... but if you're into that, you might as well look into the original Trailpimps. I think AtomLab still has a couple they're blowing out for dirt cheap. Big and tall and wide and crazy strong.

Awesome! Just the advice I was looking for! I am looking for something that I can abuse and not worry so much about. I am not a weight wieniey and would rather run overkill than not enough. I will look into that! Thanks!

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Are you running the Minion DH or the FR version?
    I am running the DH version. I just want something I can abuse. The DH version seem strong enough, but I unfortunately want more. What is more than the DH 2.5 Minion?? That is the question?

Glad to Be Alive
    get your rim trued and make sure they use something to keep your spokes from un-tightening (if they get loose all the time)

run higher air pressure

if you like the tires you have now then go to 2.7's
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Just be careful with your tire selection... I used to think that bigger was always better and I made the stupid decision about 6 years ago to throw 2.7 Mobsters on my dh bike at the time. I had a friend who put 3.0 Nokian Gazzaloddi's on his bike. We had this crazy notion that bigger was better. About five minutes later we realized that this was a bad decision. Point it down a hill and it's cool, but pedal the bike anywhere and you will hate life, especially if you pony up some extra cash for some tires with sticky rubbber. Oh, and yeah the bigger the tire is the heavier your ride will be.

In all honesty, you probably wont notice any difference in durability between a 2.5 and a 2.7. My reccommendation would be to get a tire with a bit more of a rounded profile. I've been running 2.5 Nevegals for a while and really dig the rounded profile. good for goin big, rounded enough so you don't pop your tire off the rim in corners.

More likely than not, your wheel damage was caused by over-abuse and a lack of maintenence with your tires at a lower psi than they should be. If you are hucking you need more psi in your tires, you should also keep your eye on keeping your wheels trued. A well built wheel rarely if ever goes out of true... I have a set of ultralight DT 4.2 rims hand built onto high quality hubs and even though they aren't built to huck I doubt that many people on here could break them.

Get yourself a quality built wheel (beefier isn't always better), and a good 2.5 with a dh casing and keep it about 15 psi higher than normal. Your problems will be solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i have 2.5 minions on my bike, and they are fine, i really dont like super soft tires, but its really your preference

Meh.
    A properly tensioned wheel isn't going to prevent dents. Pumping up tires may help to prevent the rim from bottoming and from pinch flats. Going to a tire with a larger air volume will also help.

Wax
    mtbr member
    try the 2.6 Schwalbe. big volume, easy to mount, and nice tread pattern.
    I run a 2.5 minion up front and the 2.6 in the back.
    I had a 2.7 mobster in the back but all the side nobs ripped off of it after 12 days! POS
    Dropping In!!!

mtbr member
    I have 2.35 minions on mine, and I've never had any problems with instability. Granted their all siped up nicely and more like frakenminions, but I've never been in a situation where I've wanted more rubber.

Sounds like you might need to run more pressure (sipe them to get the traction lost with higher psi back).

Members who have read this thread: 0