Tires and rim width, what works best?- Mtbr.com
    long standing member

Tires and rim width, what works best?

I'm trying to figure out what width rim I need to get to accommodate the range of tires I may run on my RFX, and I'm pretty confused. I'm looking at rims with inner widths anywhere from 21mm to 29mm. I'll be running tire widths anywhere from 2.3" to 2.7".

That said, I've heard a quite a bit on conflicting information regarding what tire widths will work with particular rim widths. Some people have told me that I can put anything from 2.1" to 3.0" on, say, Mavic 721's...and they'll work fine. Others have said they don't recommend running bigger than a 2.35" on that rim. They recommend going to the wider 325 or 729 to run tires from 2.35" to 2.7".

It seems to me that a wider rim will create better a tire "profile" (whatever that means) regardless of tire size. More ground contact area = more traction. Plus it seems that the tire will have less of a tendency to "roll over" laterally on the rim.

I really don't know anything concrete on the subject. FWIW I've had pretty good success with my current set-up of 2.4" Motoraptors on 24mm wide rims: no pinch flats yet, decent (but not great) traction, good durability, but that's the only personal experience I have.

Any insights on this topic are appreciated.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 12-07-2006 at 11:19 PM.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    More ground contact area = more traction.
    Patrick

That's a big no. More stability that's all, you're not gonna be able to "turn" any faster per say. But you'll have more predictability and stabililty over rough stuff. Actually wider tires seems to make turning slower.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05
    That's a big no. More stability that's all, you're not gonna be able to "turn" any faster per say. But you'll have more predictability and stabililty over rough stuff. Actually wider tires seems to make turning slower.
    I gotcha, I'm using the word "traction" incorrectly. Speed is not of utmost concern (I'm not doing DHR), predictability and stability is what I'm after. Thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    pretty much if you are happy then keep what you have.....with 23mm rims I have run 2.35 to Mich'ys 2.8's and have been very very happy....IMO nobody needs 3.0 unless you are riding on a beach in sand
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    pretty much if you are happy then keep what you have...
    The rims I've got (Alex DM24s or something) were OE on my Kona HT (and they'll be staying there ). These new wheels/tires will be going on my RFX.

...with 23mm rims I have run 2.35 to Mich'ys 2.8's and have been very very happy....IMO nobody needs 3.0 unless you are riding on a beach in sand
    Nah, I doubt I'll need a 3.0". I'm thinking maybe 2.7" or 2.8" for days that 5" of suspension isn't gonna be enough and I want the tires to provide some extra cush.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Nah, I doubt I'll need a 3.0". I'm thinking maybe 2.7" or 2.8" for days that 5" of suspension isn't gonna be enough and I want the tires to provide some extra cush.
    you might be happier with 2.5's....quicker turning and a little lighter
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Some Assembly Required
    you might be happier with 2.5's....quicker turning and a little lighter

Maybe a 2.5/rear & a 2.7/ft depending on the fork your runnin'. You are correct in assuming a wide rim allows less rollover.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Members who have read this thread: 0