Tire/Tire pressure question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire/Tire pressure question

Bike is a 29'r SS HT with 140 Pike in front. Front tire is a 2.5" DHF at 19 psi. I'm happy with all of this. All tires I've used are EXO TR and are being run with Stan's and split tube ghetto method on MTX 33's.

Problem is the rear. Super short stays and Paragon Sliders are making it impossible to fit a 2.5" DHF in the rear without a half link, which after multiple attempts on 2 different half links, I really don't want to use one. If I do, it's probably gonna cost me my balls when it breaks at an inopportune moment. I had been running the 2.5" DHF in the rear at 23-24 psi without problems.

Since I value my balls, I've been forced to run a 2.3" DHR 2 and a 2.3" HR 2. 2-3 weeks ago I cut the DHR2 (@ 23 psi, through the tread) on a square edge rock. Today, I cut the HR 2sidewall on another square edge rock. 3-4 rides on a $60 tire sucks ass.

I ride in Albuquerque and it's rocky here.

So, should I:
    1)Forego the super clean look of only the sliders and just get a SS tensioner. Then set the sliders at a distance where the 2.5" DHF's will clear and take up the chain slack with the tensioner. Run 23-24 psi for b1tchin' traction (I'm leaning this direction).
    2)Continue to run the bike without a tensioner and continue with a 2.3" EXO tire. Increase pressure to prevent pinch cuts. Deal with reduced traction on loose over hardpack on steep climbs. Deal with jarring ride of a 30+psi rear tire on a HT.
    3)Another option I haven't thought of.

Thanks y'all
    Steve
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Might get better answers in the singlespeed forum. Most people in this forum will tell you to, in addition to keeping the 2.5 DHFs, to get some cushion in the back end. I have no idea what these pretty slider thingies you mentioned are.

All I can say is to decide what's most important to you: Better looks or better performance. Neither is wrong if it's what you want.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    OP was too wordy.

I realize I'm kind of in no mans land with my bike setup/situation and the DH forum wasn't ideal but I haven't seen a post in the SS form of cutting tires on pinches. It is a bigger problem in DH.

So, put another way, those that have run 26" x 2.5" DH casing DHF's and have been cutting sidewalls by pinches/rock strikes; would you up the psi in the 2.5" or go to 2.7"?

Thanks

Glad to Be Alive
    I will bite....first off...traction or not you are running too low of pressures.....you probably need better braking technique to compensate for loose terrain.....also running that pressure your tire folds over in turns exposing itself to sidewall tears (the strongest part of the tire is the tread) ....your pressure should be at least 26 in front and 30 in back and you still might be having problems (but less)

why would you need a chain tensioner on a SS....once it is set the chain ain't bouncing

finally, you really have to evaluate the terrain you ride and maybe get something like a 27.5 Nomad that might be better for that terrain
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your patience. HT question in the DH forum doesn't make the most sense but its the bike I have (and it is a bad ass bike BTW).

Even with the SS sliders, cog size and chainring size dictate the actual wheelbase you can run (~1/4" increments with half-link or ~1/2" without). My frame was built with very little extra clearance for chainring (28T is largest that'll fit) to get short stays. Without a tensioner, I generally have to move sliders to tension chain. The result is the 2.5" (true to size) tire hits the stays or I use the half link. With the tensioner, i put the wheel where i want it and tske up the extra slack that way. Hope this makes sense, I'm trying yo type on my phone.

Canfield Balance is on horizon for the fall. I'll keep the current bike though; SS in mountains builds power and the HT builds mAd tite skilz yo.