Tire Suggestion- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Suggestion

Unit 91

Tire Suggestion

Need some help picking out tires and I wanted to get some suggestions/ideas from other people. Im riding mostly dry/moderate stuff and looking for a good tire to handle rocks. My single ply Minions arent doing the job. I just put on a Maxxis Minion DHF 3C 2.5 and it just doesnt feel right. Maybe I am used to lighter tires. But it feels like it just added 100 lbs. to the front end. Also it looks much skinnier and smaller then the original 2.5 on there. Any ideas/suggestions would be great. Thank you.
    Bikes

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I'll assume you we're running 60a freeride models before, correct? Going to the 3c compound will feel a little "slower" than the 60a tires I think. If you don't like the weight and didn't have problems flatting, go back to what you had before if you liked them. One of my favorite tires for rocky/dry conditions would be Michelin Comp 16 2.5 tires front and rear... Only problem with these; they don't roll really fast because they're soooo tacky and heavy. (Plus they wear out quick, but no quicker than Maxxis 42a super-tackys)

Why won't someone make a superlight Dh casing tire that's really tacky, but doesn't wear out???

moaaar shimz
    Maxxis Swampthings are great in rocks -imho- but wear out fast becase of the motox knobb design.

Glad to Be Alive
    Michelin DH 24 AT
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pivotal figure
    Check out UST versions of your favorite tire. You can run them with tubes and they have a thick sidewall like a DH tire but are available in smaller sizes so they don't weigh a ton. I've been very happy with the Ignitor 2.35 as a rear tire. Haven't had any real issues with single ply's on front as long as I ride smooth and keep the pressure high; OK maybe those are issues.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy

Why won't someone make a superlight Dh casing tire that's really tacky, but doesn't wear out???
    Because then the MTB tire industry would go to sh*t! Imagine, the search for a light tacky tire would be over, costing the industry millions cause everyone wouldn't be dropping $50 constantly to try a new tire.

And a tire that doesn't wear out?!

moaaar shimz
    You cant have tacky and at the same time last very long.... sticky = friction = wear

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Because then the MTB tire industry would go to sh*t! Imagine, the search for a light tacky tire would be over, costing the industry millions cause everyone wouldn't be dropping $50 constantly to try a new tire.

And a tire that doesn't wear out?!
    Dare to dream I say...

Unit 91
    I have been having problems with my single plys. Ive had numerous flats after rocky sections. Im not looking for a super heavy tire because my bike is already pretty heavy. I was just suprised when I put on the Minion 2.5 3C and it looked smaller then my original Minion 2.5 single ply. Hmmm.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Tires will stretch after awhile.

thats not to steep is it?
    kenda nevegals. 2.5 folding bead with tubeless. cant pinch flat. and itll be light. i drop almost 2 pounds doing that. and the only problem ive had with it is not getting the bead to fit in when i was putting it on
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

mtbr member
    I run 2ply DH casing Nevegal 2.3s on my trail wheels and 2.5/2.7 Minions on my resort rims.

Members who have read this thread: 0