Tire selection for Northstar...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tire selection for Northstar...

Never seen Northstar without snow. Is there a local tire preference? Terrain/course description? Loose,loamy,hard-pack,roots,ruts,shale,jagged,smooth rock...I've got a good feel for the Minion 2.5F/Highroller 2.35R combo but I'm kinda jones'n for a change. Just asking for an opinion.
    "yer all a bunch of god damned *************, damn it."

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    some good combos:
    F: 2.5 Michelin Comp 16 - R: 2.5 Michelin Comp 24.1
    F: 2.7 Minion DHF STY - R: 2.5 High Roller 60a
    F & R: 2.5 Kenda Nevegal (or maybe a Kolossal on the rear)

N* is really rocky. 2.3 tires might work okay, but I prefer a bit more air volume!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Acadian, thats just what I wanted to hear. The michelin set-up is what I wanted to run but was told that they get slick on rock; kinda hard to believe. I'm a maxxis fan for performance and pinch resistance but they wear too quickly for a privateer. Change is good. Thanks for the reply.
    "yer all a bunch of god damned *************, damn it."

huckit
    May 2004
    N* is very rocky, with tons of loose dirt. I ride there 4 days a week, and would suggest a tire with 55A rubber compound. Front tire between 2.5 and 2.7, rear at 2.5. If you go smaller than 2.5 you dramatically increase your chance of pinch flat. I run a Specialized Roller 2.7 RS Dry Conditions tire up front, and currently a Nokian Gazzalodi Jr. 2.5 on the rear...I have a 24" rim on the rear and the gazza was an emergency buy, but its working well so far. R you racing there in the states this weekend?

Cheers!

Now with flavor!!
    Sticky rubber is good. Tires with lots of facets are good...WTB wierwolf, minions, comp 16 (I think that's the one).

I've tried pretty much all the specialized, WTB and Maxxis tires made and a few intense models at Northstar by now and my favorite has been slow reazay DHF 2.7 front, and slow reazay 2.5 DHR rear. Really soft tires in the rear will not last long but grab the dust really well though.

DHR Rider

I concur...

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Sticky rubber is good. Tires with lots of facets are good...WTB wierwolf, minions, comp 16 (I think that's the one).

I've tried pretty much all the specialized, WTB and Maxxis tires made and a few intense models at Northstar by now and my favorite has been slow reazay DHF 2.7 front, and slow reazay 2.5 DHR rear. Really soft tires in the rear will not last long but grab the dust really well though.
    For N*, I run a 2.7 Maxxis DHF Minion in the front (Slow Reezay compound) and in the rear a 2.5 Maxxis DHF Minion (60a compound - gives the tires a bit of a longer life). As Kidwoo said, sticky rubber is da bomb! Only downside is if you ride a lot they can burn a hole in your wallet!

Cohiba