tire question and preference- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

tire question and preference

gonna be buying some new dh tires but i cant decide. maxxis highrollers 2.5 or maxxis minions 2.5. i like the tread pattern for the highrollers but im worried that it will wear out sooner than the minions since the knobs are sharper. throw your opinions at me or any suggestions of tires you think are better than these. thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a set of ust minions and I like them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My 3c Minions are wearing at a pretty similar rate as my 3c high roller.

Right now I'm running high rollers F/R.

If I was doing it again, I'd be running 2.5 3c minion F and 2.5 3c high roller rear. The high roller doesn't hook up so well, but it rolls wayyy faster. High rollers don't hook up well in the slick greasy mud over hardpack that I ride for wet, but hook up reasonably well in the dry/dust over hardpack.

Will.

mtbr member
    William42 gave good advice. The Ardent rolls very nice too- better than the High Roller IMO. Also, consider going with a 60a compound in the rear for improved wear.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    If its downhill your doing then Minions with the harder compound rear and softer on the front wont do you any harm at all in all conditions, may be a fraction slower but damn they hook up.

If its on an all mountian bike or something you pedal a lot, the High Rollers are the ticket

SamIAm
    i dont know anyone that likes highrollers. but lots that digg the minion. me included. the highroller just doesnt seem predictable to me, but that my opinion.

the minion is a great tire though. go for it.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Since I had a hard time getting UST Maxxis tires, I ended up with a strange combo: Minion DHR on the back with a Highroller front. I'm stoked on the Highrollers turning ability... I hope to have DHF's front and rear, but the Highroller performs well front and back.

That's what Peaty runs!

BTW, you'll save weight if you can get the UST models. Kevlar bead is much lighter with a casing that is thick enough. You can only get them in super-tacky though...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks guys this is a big help. ill probs end up going for the UST minions. again thanks guys

Members who have read this thread: 0