Tire pressure for HT DH.- Mtbr.com
    L.D
    My Legs Hurt

Tire pressure for HT DH.

Just wondering what tire pressure all you hardtail down-hillers are running.

jibber of the unjibbable
    37% of the total volume of the tires capacity in an unstable atmosphere where argon gas is at an outrageously high 989 parts per million
    Boogie down to free James Brown

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter.
    37% of the total volume of the tires capacity in an unstable atmosphere where argon gas is at an outrageously high 989 parts per million

Thats awesome...got anything useful to add?

mtbr member
    i use to run max in the front 10 psi less in the rear.

Former Noob Herder
    what does it matter what others are running? everything depends on the individual tire model, the rim, rider weight, trail conditions....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    what does it matter what others are running? everything depends on the individual tire model, the rim, rider weight, trail conditions....
    Since Im new to down hill biking, I just wanted to find out what setup others had luck with. Right now Im pretty much running max around, and wanna see if Im better off with with a different setup. I do remember hearing somewhere that it could make quite a difference, esp. on a hardtail.

Quote Originally Posted by L.D
    Since Im new to down hill biking, I just wanted to find out what setup others had luck with. Right now Im pretty much running max around, and wanna see if Im better off with with a different setup. I do remember hearing somewhere that it could make quite a difference, esp. on a hardtail.
    Try lowering it until you start getting too many pinch flats or the tire feels squirmy in the corners, and go from there. Just experiment. It is easy to do. You'll figure it out. Blue is the best color.

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

that's an interesting comment...

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    maybe he's authoring a mag. article on HT dh'ers and it matters greatly to his deadline, and hence his publishers. OR, maybe he's new to bicycle maintenance, in which case you've established your superiority. Now, since you da man, how about elaborating? What kind of tire pressure would you recommend for an old-skool Panaracer Smoke (wire bead) on a 21" frame with moderate uphill, heavy downhill riding in wet muddy conditions rider weight of 162lbs on a crappy cr19 alloy rim? I'm lookin for a single pressure, not an uphill and downhill combo too.
    SEEK THE GNARL, LEST IT FIND YOU FIRST.

New project, TBA shortly
    make sure you have enough air in your rear. it doesn't have suspension so you'll pinch-flat/dent your rim more often than a full suspension bike. your front should be like a normal front wheel, maybe 25psi. then try it out and see what you like/don't like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i run about 50psi in front and back.

have you seen my baseball
    depends on your tire casing, if you've got DH casing blue groove/neveglas, like me, you can go as low as 20-30psi with no flats. tires grip sooooo much better at low pressure so the lower you can go the better. just remember to fill them back up to 60psi before you go for a street session

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ullrite
    Now, since you da man, how about elaborating? What kind of tire pressure would you recommend for an old-skool Panaracer Smoke (wire bead) on a 21" frame with moderate uphill, heavy downhill riding in wet muddy conditions rider weight of 162lbs on a crappy cr19 alloy rim? I'm lookin for a single pressure, not an uphill and downhill combo too.
    you didnt mention the gage of your spokes...

but really, the old rule of "as low as you can go without pinching the tube" really doesnt apply with alot of the new tires. No other motorsport tire-tech follows that rule.

For example, Michelins dont like lower pressures. Yeah i can run mine at 18psi and not flat (hell with tubless i can go 5 psi), but i'm not getting the most out of my tire cus its overly deforming on corners (something that autoracing knows too well).

Tires will have a certain range they work well in regardless of pinch resistance, then theres rolling resistance vs. traction blah blah....just experiment and find out what others are doing with that particular model. Unfortunatly theres no hard science to it, nor reliable setup advice. Most people just do it by 'feel' anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    "what does it matter what others are running? everything depends on the individual tire model, the rim, rider weight, trail conditions...."

yeah, like Zedro said.... but, i ride my hardtail on everything, and had a few days at keystone this year on the thing. as low as 20psi front and rear. of a total of about 20 runs at keystone this summer, i had zero flats, running about 15-20psi front and rear. granted, these were DH tires varying in size from a 2.35 kujo to a 2.7 intense. regular tubes.

it'll depend on your tire/rim combo, and the terrain you ride, and how hard you are hitting said terrain.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

World Famous Superstar DJ
    enough not to pinch flat.
    HARDTAIL, HARD HITS, NEVER NOT HARDCORE

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    Thanks, I messed around with it this weekend...high upfront with slightly lower out back seems to work best for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D
    Thanks, I messed around with it this weekend...high upfront with slightly lower out back seems to work best for me.

i found that when i had high pressure in the rear i would tend to slide or "drift" around corners when the pressure was high... i lowered it because when things were wet it would get pretty crazy... but im glad it worked out.