Tire Pressure- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Pressure

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Tire Pressure

I have tube tires. Do a lot of small drops (3-4 ft) to level concrete. Thrash down some pretty nasty rock fields. Will be going to Moab in a week or so, then Downhilling at Northstar. What is a good tire pressure to use without flats? Would it be different in Moab than at Northstar? I've heard maybe 25-35 psi. Would pressure differ in front or rear?

Riding dirt since 1970

Depends...

...on your weight, which tire, ect. Even the rim width can make a difference. You could contact your tire maker with your weight and they'll suggest a starting point. I run +5lbs in the rear for XC. Pressure in Moab is not as critical, as it's hard not to get traction on that sandstone-it's like 60 grit sandpaper and eats tires (bring some old spares for slickrock). There's a lot of granite in the Tahoe area, but it's mainly nice loamy dirt-large volume DH type tires rule @North*. That place is a blast-can't wait to go back -lucky you
    Med. V10.5 for sale

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lifer
    ...on your weight, which tire, ect. Even the rim width can make a difference. You could contact your tire maker with your weight and they'll suggest a starting point. I run +5lbs in the rear for XC. Pressure in Moab is not as critical, as it's hard not to get traction on that sandstone-it's like 60 grit sandpaper and eats tires (bring some old spares for slickrock). There's a lot of granite in the Tahoe area, but it's mainly nice loamy dirt-large volume DH type tires rule @North*. That place is a blast-can't wait to go back -lucky you
    5lbs sounds pretty low from any kind of hits. You're right about Tahoe. It's fun. I'm going to Moab, then hitting Oregon (McKenzie), then downiville before I Northstar opens. Also, I've never been down Mr. toad. Thought I might give that one a spin. Moab should be cool, though. Have you been down Porcupine?

Disco-Superfly
    I use 50+ psi wherever Im riding. front and back
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    also depends how big your tires are, smaller tires need a bit more air in my experience i have 4 diff tires i use with my banshee a 2.8/2.7 combo, and a 2.35/2.35 i run the big tires 10-20 pounds with no problems * below recommended obviously* but the 2.35's need around 30 otherwise they flat steadily when in whistler and such.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRida
    also depends how big your tires are, smaller tires need a bit more air in my experience i have 4 diff tires i use with my banshee a 2.8/2.7 combo, and a 2.35/2.35 i run the big tires 10-20 pounds with no problems * below recommended obviously* but the 2.35's need around 30 otherwise they flat steadily when in whistler and such.
    Ok, that sounds about right. Maybe 25 lbs on my 2.5 (rear) and 30 lbs on the front (2.3).

I have another question though, about how you measure drops: Is there a difference between a drop and a jump? So for instance, I have a jump I practice on 20 or 30 times a day. The actual vertical drop is maybe 5 or 6 feet, but the jump required to clear the last couple of stairs is more like 20 feet. When you talk "drops" are you only talking the vertical component, or are you talking "sail" time. Seems like it would be only the vertical component...but then I wonder how the big jumps done by guys like Garcia are measured. I'll bet it's from take-off to landing, which could be a bit more than the actual vertical component. Any thoughts?

jibber of the unjibbable
    pump the mother funker up where it's nice and tight, you know, like you could bounce a quarter off it's ass and leave it

oh, but I run 27.5734 bar in my tires
    Boogie down to free James Brown