Tire choices- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire choices

If you think you can

Smile Tire choices

Not sure what to choose. I have Panaracer FR 2.4's on there now, and they have served me pretty good. And the red looks cool with my blue frame. But they need to be changed pretty soon and I have heard some people don't like them.
    Are there any previous threads explaining the diferent tire types and their best uses. I would like to go tubeless with my outlaws too.
    Or does anyone have any suggestions?
    Are there anymore really good tires with red walls?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Super Tacky in the front and High Roller 2.5 3C in the rear works excellent.

N* Bomber Crew
    I run Outlaws and Minion DHF and DHR in the 2.5 Size and 60A Compound and I use ghetto tubeless...so it works if you're looking for a reliable and good setup.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Need way more information

What type of riding are you doing? What sort of conditions to you ride in (sandy, loamy, hard pack, wet)? What bike are you putting them on? You worried about weight or rolling resistance? How heavy is too heavy?

I really like the new intense ex/dc stuff. I run a 2.5 909 ex/dc front and a 2.35 edge on the rear. Very, very happy with that combo on my very heavy build trail bike. For DH bike, i run 2.7 minion super tacky front and a 2.5 minion 60a front tire on the rear. Happy with that setup also.

I gotta pee
    Quote Originally Posted by gbvan
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 Super Tacky in the front and High Roller 2.5 3C in the rear works excellent.
    Best tire choice i've run so far.. I'm runnin 60d all the way around though but my conditions are dry dirt medium pack and some loose dirt mostly in the burms which sucks.. But these tires make it so easy

If you think you can
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    What type of riding are you doing? What sort of conditions to you ride in (sandy, loamy, hard pack, wet)? What bike are you putting them on? You worried about weight or rolling resistance? How heavy is too heavy?

I really like the new intense ex/dc stuff. I run a 2.5 909 ex/dc front and a 2.35 edge on the rear. Very, very happy with that combo on my very heavy build trail bike. For DH bike, i run 2.7 minion super tacky front and a 2.5 minion 60a front tire on the rear. Happy with that setup also.
    Thanks for the info so far. As for the trails I ride, there is a little bit of everything. One trail is mostly slickrock, others hard packed, others very rocky with loose dirt. I'm going to mammoth in a few weeks, so whatever those trails consist of too. I'll be putting them on my 05 coiler. And I'm not to sure how heavy is too heavy. The panaracers are the onlyone's I've run sofar.
    Hopefully that can help.
    And I apreciate everyone else's input also.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF 3C in the front and a 2.35 Highroller 60D in the rear... They work well with tubeless like raptordude mentioned...

StraightOuttaCompton
    i like my wtb dissents for loose, hardpack, and loose-over-hardpack. They also last quite a long time for being 60a.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

If you think you can
    Do the panaracer fire FR compare at all with the tires you all have mentioned?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Don't think you will find many fans of the Panaracer

I would not really recommend that tire. They were popular in XC form but what makes a good XC tire does not really parallel with DH applications.

I would recommend this tire in the 2.5 for front
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...5&category=187

and this tire in 2.35 for rear
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...7&category=187

Good weight for its solid Downhill performance, little heavier but not too much more so than the Panaracers you are used to. Seems to roll really well also. If you are wanting ultimate traction and don't care about weight, go with the Maxxis options people have mentioned

Members who have read this thread: 0