Time Z or Mallet pedals?- Mtbr.com
    I wish I had...

Time Z or Mallet pedals?

Ok i know this has been covered a lot but please help me out. I have been considering to switch to clip ons for about a month now. I think it will help me because i have trouble staying on my bike and also in turns even with platforms i prefer not to take my foot off the pedal. I am still considering it and i have spent about a year on platforms so i guess i have learned to be kind of "smooth". Also if i do get them i my main 2 options are cb mallets or time z's. Which is better and why, also what is a good shoe to go with it. Thanks
    I wish I had...

EastBaySteez
    I run Mallets with 661 Session SPDS. Its like concrete. Your not comming off.
    Mallets with any other non skate shoe have alittle more float side to side than the times.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

I wish I had...
    which would be better for a first-time clip rider
    I wish I had...

Bike Ninja |||
    I have run both. I would not suggest them for dh use.

Massive amounts of float on both pedal types, as well as non-adjustable tension. I recommend Shimano DX clip pedals. I used them and never went back to times again. And i bent too many spindles on mallets, so IMO it's not worth it. Supposedly the new redesign fixed these issues, but time will tell.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    I have run both. I would not suggest them for dh use.

Massive amounts of float on both pedal types, as well as non-adjustable tension. I recommend Shimano DX clip pedals. I used them and never went back to times again. And i bent too many spindles on mallets, so IMO it's not worth it. Supposedly the new redesign fixed these issues, but time will tell.
    Oh how I hate shimano
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Slow Patrol
    Oct 2005
    Can't comment on the Mallet. I use the Time pedals. As for why do I like them, when I want out I am out instinctively. Also the Z's are pretty easy to clip into. I don't care about any lack of a tension adjustment because my foot does not pop out unwanted.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Mallets are sweet if you like having your pedals fall apart in 2 weeks and having your foot unclip when you don't want it to. Z's are sweet if you like riding and not worrying about your damn pedals.

I wish I had...
    ok now im leaning towards the Z's
    I wish I had...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've been running the same set of Z's for the past 4 years........

on three different downhill bikes without a single problem.
    I also run Times on my cross country bike. I'll never use Shimano or anything else ever again.

Just my .02 cents

I wish I had...
    Thanks for all of your help! I think i am pretty much set on the time Z's. Now i need to find a shoe that has grip on the outside so i can ride without being clipped in. Looked al the 661 spds but reviews werent to good. Are there any other shoes like that (rubber outsole, more normal shoe look.)?
    I wish I had...

squish is good
    You might want to let this thread simmer for a day or two and see what else you get. I've heard nothing but good things about mallets from my freinds who ride them. I ride Time ATAC XS's because they came on my bike but I've been waffling over the idea of going to Z's. I really like the times action, it's much much better than the Shimano pedals I had before.

Pivotal figure
    One more nail in the Mallet coffin... I gave up after bending my 3rd spindle (CB warranties it but it's still annoying). Platforms now.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Tell you the truth... with out all the marketing and hype... the Z's are the best. I ran those for two years. Ran the mallets for two and want to go back to the Z's.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    It's funny how little advertising and marketing the Time Z pedals get, yet they are bar none my favorite clipless pedal. I guess they get all their sales from word-of-mouth, which really tells something about the product in itself.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    It's funny how little advertising and marketing the Time Z pedals get, yet they are bar none my favorite clipless pedal. I guess they get all their sales from word-of-mouth, which really tells something about the product in itself.
    Mainly because Time also makes amazing roadie stuff... like their pedals.

mtbr member
    Forget about the whole "grip while unclipped" thing with shoes and pedals. It ain't gonna happen and there is absolutely no situation when you're trail riding that it's ever going to come into play. (period). Your in more danger if you unclip in a gnarly bit because a) you can't get your foot in a natural position without clipping in and b) Your not going to get any decent grip otherwise.

The big platforms on DH pedals are used to protect the clipping mechanism and to make it easier to get clipped back in. (also nice when biking around the neighborhood!)
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

cube warrior
    i've been running crank brothers for a few years from egg beaters to candys to mallets. overall no problems. definitely have bent a few parts here and there, but the CS has always been super fast and super friendly. i have little to no complaints about crank bros.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    go for time Z i use this pedal since 3 yaer. the mallet cleats are bad they use very fast down and sometime they broke.
    the time Z is faster for go in and out and better against muddy. this is the one and only cliples pedal in the whole world!!!
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have run only Times (atacs) in the past, and about 6 months ago put on some Zs. The platform is good for standing on, lets me pedal around the 'hood...as far as the trail, it comes in handy on occasion, when trying to start up hill and not wanting to concentrate on clipping in. Otherwise, once you start riding clipless, you will pretty much always want to be clipped in.
    I will say having the platform provides a more sturdy/larger base for my foot to rest on.

And for the CB Mallets, I have an amigo that runs them. He keeps breaking them, sends them to CB, they return them. Repeat every 3-4 weeks. They even sent him new ones...he didn't understand that free crap is still crap. Crap is crappy!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Mallets are sweet if you like having your pedals fall apart in 2 weeks and having your foot unclip when you don't want it to. Z's are sweet if you like riding and not worrying about your damn pedals.
    I agree. Mallets are disposable pedals, I've snapped axles and trashed the hell out of em, the sad thing was that it simply didn't take long for that to happen relative to other pedals I've used. Mallets get owned by rocks. 545s crush rocks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Jackalope Hunter
    I have ridden Mallets for about 3.5 years. I like the engage and release, and I like the platform, although if you aren't clipped in it isn't very grippy at all...

I have two pairs on two different bikes. I have broken each pair once and had them serviced by CB, each time I had the pedals back within a week, their customer service rocks. No, they do not break every 3-4 weeks, and that is riding hard, but that's just me...

On the other hand, a close friend that I ride with all the time rides Time z's...
    He loves them and to my knowledge has only broken a pair once in several years, so I guess they are pretty durable. I plan on trying out a pair the next time I break a mallet, just for shits and giggles... In the meantime I am satisfied with the CBs...
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

I wish I had...
    ok it looks as if they are both nice but im hearing a lot about cb's breaking and a lot of good things about timez's. Now i am looking for a dh clip shoe, looking for something that has a rubber sole and looks like a normal pair of shoes. Thanks for the help
    I wish I had...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

oakley radar shoe

i am vote for this !!! i am very happy about!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Are the NEW 08 Mallets any stronger???

I wish I had...
    are the mallets still better than the shimanos or are th shimanos better?
    I wish I had...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have used Shimanos for years and have about half a dozen left over right pedals with destroyed left pedals to prove it. The Shimanos are expensive, fall apart, and clip out too easy for DH. I run them on my XC and road bike but use the Crank Brothers Mallets for DH and freeride. I like the extra float to really lean the bike in the turns without popping out of the clip and they are the first pedal to last me an entire DH season (20 races). It is like riding flat pedals but when you need to stay on the bike in rock gardens your clipped in. Perfect!

Then again it all comes down to personal preference. For DH I vote mallets.

I wish I had...
    thanks for all of ur help!
    I wish I had...

I wish I had...
    thanks for the help looks like i am going for the Z's, but i still need to find a shoe
    I wish I had...

EastBaySteez

Mallets

Quote Originally Posted by MCSinCO
    Are the NEW 08 Mallets any stronger???
    It looks like so!
    So Sexy.....
    I dont know how I could unclip with my 661's skate shoes with grip pins!

New Mallets!
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Members who have read this thread: 0