Time to retire the Bullit, what's the next best option???- Mtbr.com
    Another festivus MIRACLE!

Time to retire the Bullit, what's the next best option???

OK, so I've had the Bullit for quite awhile, and would like to get another frame. I'm 6'3" 200lbs. I've enjoyed the Bullit, but it's the only big FS frame I've ever owned, and would like to try something different. The Bullit is great all around bike, but is flexy in the rear, and has an incredibly high BB, making it rail not as good.

I have an '03 SuperT, and want to keep that upfront. I want a bike that can be very versatile, pedal up and bomb down, jump, huck etc....basically ride up to the fun stuff. I've considered the Transition Preston, but don't think DC fork will work with that bike (4" back and 7" front, uh no). I don't need a full on down hill bike, but it would be cool to have something like a Canfield, or maybe a Foes Mono. But that would be too much bike IMO. So what bike would be an all arounder like the Bullit - light enough to do anything with, yet burly enough to tackle anything.

Or perhaps I should just be happy with what I have???

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Iron horse 7point7 frame.
    Semper Fi
    Freeride Biking Club at Virginia Tech
    When I'm not riding my bike...

Quote Originally Posted by hughairboy188c
    Ban Me U Butt Holes

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    OK, so I've had the Bullit for quite awhile, and would like to get another frame. I'm 6'3" 200lbs. I've enjoyed the Bullit, but it's the only big FS frame I've ever owned, and would like to try something different. The Bullit is great all around bike, but is flexy in the rear, and has an incredibly high BB, making it rail not as good.

I have an '03 SuperT, and want to keep that upfront. I want a bike that can be very versatile, pedal up and bomb down, jump, huck etc....basically ride up to the fun stuff. I've considered the Transition Preston, but don't think DC fork will work with that bike (4" back and 7" front, uh no). I don't need a full on down hill bike, but it would be cool to have something like a Canfield, or maybe a Foes Mono. But that would be too much bike IMO. So what bike would be an all arounder like the Bullit - light enough to do anything with, yet burly enough to tackle anything.

Thanks for any input.
    nomad

What do you guys think of the Transition Dirtbag? It seems like it is very similar to the IH 7.7, but you can get the frame for $850 bucks. Nomad and IH are both good options, but I think SC is going to charge close to $2k for that frame, and I'm not sure about IH.

I was reading the reviews of the Dirtbag, and it seems to be a good fit for what I want, and is affordable. Is it going to be better than my beloved Bullit though? Will it go through pivot bearings, etc? Will it stand up to N*, where I'm going to be with my Bullit this weekend, BTW.

The Nomad would be awesome, but VPP sure is expensive. Why pay that much when you can get a good performing frame for less?

telemarc
    Jan 2005

Foes Fly

I would get a Foes Fly or a VP Free.

mtbr member
    Sounds like EIO's (or any) Banshee Chapperal would have your name all over it... Nomad does look like a sweet option too...

Giant Faith/trance
    Transition Dirtbag
    Specialized Enduro
    Kona Stinky/coiler

couple others that co e to mind...

FWIW I've love my Chappy,I ride everything on it seems to be what everyone else who has one says as well....
    Last edited by Felpur; 06-22-2005 at 09:15 AM.
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

Glad to Be Alive

Thanks for any input.
    how about a VP Free
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    how about a VP Free
    Ya know.....I saw this post and that you replied to it and I said to myself "I bet he's trying to pawn off my bike."

Dewd, you're becoming predictable.

I thought you were my e-friend (sniff sniff)......
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of the Transition Dirtbag? It seems like it is very similar to the IH 7.7, but you can get the frame for $850 bucks. Nomad and IH are both good options, but I think SC is going to charge close to $2k for that frame, and I'm not sure about IH.

I was reading the reviews of the Dirtbag, and it seems to be a good fit for what I want, and is affordable. Is it going to be better than my beloved Bullit though? Will it go through pivot bearings, etc? Will it stand up to N*, where I'm going to be with my Bullit this weekend, BTW.

The Nomad would be awesome, but VPP sure is expensive. Why pay that much when you can get a good performing frame for less?
    Comparing suspension designs, Dirtbag is different than the IH. The Dirtbag will behave like a single pivot while braking. The design of the dw link on the IH lets it stay active under braking. The IH frame runs around $1300. The rear of the IH will be a lot stiffer than the Dirtbag because it's using 150mm spacing and a 12mm thru axle.

My take on Transition, they seem like good bikes. Nothing spectacular for paint jobs or suspension, since they're using an existing design, but the bikes get the job done.

Any of the frames everyone has mentioned up to this point will stand up to burly riding, just a matter of choosing something that will make you and your wallet happy.
    Semper Fi
    Freeride Biking Club at Virginia Tech
    When I'm not riding my bike...

Quote Originally Posted by hughairboy188c
    Ban Me U Butt Holes

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by e<i>o
    Ya know.....I saw this post and that you replied to it and I said to myself "I bet he's trying to pawn off my bike."

Dewd, you're becoming predictable.

I thought you were my e-friend (sniff sniff)......

I am your friend...we got to pay for the beer, tequilla, pizza and high class hookers some how.......trying to take care of you, bro...

Besides a VP Free would be a great upgrade for him...rear end will be way stiffer but still along the lines of his Bullit
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 06-22-2005 at 02:12 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

I'd highly agree.

how about a VP Free
    Even an old fart like me was able to pedal a beefy built Free at Bootleg...and no, I don't mean just the DH portion of the course. Just about all the bikes I rode at Demo Days were taken around on some of the trails after doing the fun decent. I wanted to see how efficient they were. The Free wowed me on all accounts. I think they pedal unbelieveably well and still eat all trail obstacles like any good cushmobile. I'd build one a little lighter than the one I rode, but still it was very rideable. I'd probably have one if not for the 150mm rear hub. I'm a wuss...I don't need it. The Nomad on the other hand is looking quite appealing. Expensive?...I'm sorry, but I don't classify SC bikes as expensive...especially when the original poster mentions a Foes in the same breath.

gnar, brah
    Yup. VP Free is the way to go here.
    Trestle Bike Park

Stray Bullet

Yeti AS-X?

Yeti AS-X seems to fit the bill quite well.

AS-X Link

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Even an old fart like me was able to pedal a beefy built Free at Bootleg...and no, I don't mean just the DH portion of the course. Just about all the bikes I rode at Demo Days were taken around on some of the trails after doing the fun decent. I wanted to see how efficient they were. The Free wowed me on all accounts. I think they pedal unbelieveably well and still eat all trail obstacles like any good cushmobile. I'd build one a little lighter than the one I rode, but still it was very rideable. I'd probably have one if not for the 150mm rear hub. I'm a wuss...I don't need it. The Nomad on the other hand is looking quite appealing. Expensive?...I'm sorry, but I don't classify SC bikes as expensive...especially when the original poster mentions a Foes in the same breath.

You don't think spending $1900 on a bike frame is expensive? Isn't that what the Free goes for new? OK, Foes is expensive and so is Canfield, but I guess they're all hideously expensive these days...I made the post so that I could get good feedback on what frame would be good for me, and then go on the internet to find that frame for less. As we all know, you lose you a$$ when it comes to mtn bike resale, so why would I ever buy new.

Glad to Be Alive
    You don't think spending $1900 on a bike frame is expensive? Isn't that what the Free goes for new? OK, Foes is expensive and so is Canfield, but I guess they're all hideously expensive these days...I made the post so that I could get good feedback on what frame would be good for me, and then go on the internet to find that frame for less. As we all know, you lose you a$$ when it comes to mtn bike resale, so why would I ever buy new.

ummm....I think TNC made a valued point....you mentioned Canfields and Foes which are more expensive......

Asking a question and then rolling your eyes (smilie face thing) when you get an answer is not cool

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama

AS-X Link
    The AS-X is an awesome bike (wish I had one), but it is really similar to the Bullit in design.
    Trestle Bike Park

ummm....I think TNC made a valued point....you mentioned Canfields and Foes which are more expensive......

Asking a question and then rolling your eyes (smilie face thing) when you get an answer is not cool
    True, they are more expensive, but my point was that you can find most anything online used for far cheaper. Thus, IMO, it would be good to find out what you want and then go get it for the most reasonable price.

It's that whole car - analogy thing. Most people would agree that it's wiser to buy a used car with about 30k miles on it, not new. Same goes with bikes.

The rolleyes thing was more directed to paying full price than toward TNC....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    The AS-X is an awesome bike (wish I had one), but it is really similar to the Bullit in design.

reading about it now......jeez, the frame sure looks alot like a Free too.

Glad to Be Alive
    True, they are more expensive, but my point was that you can find most anything online used for far cheaper. Thus, IMO, it would be good to find out what you want and then go get it for the most reasonable price.

It's that whole car - analogy thing. Most people would agree that it's wiser to buy a used car with about 30k miles on it, not new. Same goes with bikes.

The rolleyes thing was more directed to paying full price than toward TNC....

EIO got his for like 1200

mtbr member
    Gotta shout out love for a Uzzi VPX! Freind of mine just got a new VPX and his old bike was a Bullit, he is really loving the new ride. Said there is a big difference in rear end plushness and use of travel.

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama

AS-X Link

Exactly what I was thinking, it works for me quite well.

Uzzi and ASX would be great! Plus, I kinda don't want another SC, since everyone and their brother owns one. They're great bikes of course, but something not-so-similar would be cool. ASX!

banned
    Mar 2005
    i would go for a big hit or a ellsworth dare

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just picked up an AS-X, coming from a Big Hit. It's a sweet bike, and getting around on it is WAY easier than with my feather-bed cushy Big Hit. It's still plush but the DHX 5.0 holds up well to pedalling forces.

Plus the linkage really does change rates with the swing link. I didn't really understand till I saw it in person, but it's pretty schweeet. And it's tough to beat Yeti for the best combination of affordability plus bling factor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    if u want another single pivot look at a gemini nice and light but go and try something different try a giant reign maybe similar to nomad but way cheaper