Glad to Be Alive

Time to come back to Bike Forums or any forum.... Facebook ruined everything

just like the title says.... get off Facebook and come back to hobby forums like this bike forum.

Back in the early days of forums (basically pre 2010) . People would post here instead of fb. You, would meet many new people. You would bike ride with many new people. I have personally met people from all over the country. I have ridden bikes with people from the forums all over the country. It is so much fun meeting people from the forums and going on big group rides or to bike parks.

Since 2010 being on fb I have met fewer people. Lets face it. FB is just your friends - you really don't meet new people. Especially people in your same passion, like biking.

I am older now but in my early 40's. I use to ride with 4 crews of people. The first crew all caught the marriage and family raising thing and don't ride at all or barely. The second crew were in late 40's and early 50's and all stopped riding. The third crew were basically gypsys that would expand and contract. and the 4th ride so sporadic it doesn't matter.

If we talk with the same people on FB, then how do we meet new people that share the same passions. I talked to another guy that was on a 4X4 forum that went through the same thing.

So, my call to action is for people to share this post and come back to whatever your passion or hobby forums are. But people reading this in this bike forum come back and make new friends...post some pics and lets meet new people. Come on that's why we came here in the frrst place and also to ask questions. If you are in. Then post some photos of a recent ride.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    It's funny that this is the first post I see. I haven't ridden a mountain bike in several years. I don't even own one currently. I remember you from when I joined this forum like 10 years ago. I remember reading your posts and I knew how passionate you are about this. Just today I decided to buy a mountain bike magazine and come back to this forum. I sold my Transition Bottlerocket to buy a motorcycle. I don't regret getting in to motorcycles but I have regretted not mountain biking. I have made a few friends via Facebook (mostly in car groups) but not like I did in this forum years ago.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by alex55 View Post
    It's funny that this is the first post I see. I haven't ridden a mountain bike in several years. I don't even own one currently. I remember you from when I joined this forum like 10 years ago. I remember reading your posts and I knew how passionate you are about this. Just today I decided to buy a mountain bike magazine and come back to this forum. I sold my Transition Bottlerocket to buy a motorcycle. I don't regret getting in to motorcycles but I have regretted not mountain biking. I have made a few friends via Facebook (mostly in car groups) but not like I did in this forum years ago.
    I remember you too.... too bad these forums were not going like they use to...I was in Des Moines for 3 weeks last summer
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

CoolArrow
    Honestly, I don't care for fb. But I am guilty of perpetuating it. Though DH has always been a seasonal thing for me, this forum has been indispensable for learning and meeting people. Will try to read on contribute more this season
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    FB is awesome for meeting new people and organizing rides/events. I don't understand how you're meeting less people on FB than here. Like, no idea. How many people have you actually coordinated and rode with from here? New people are joining the FB groups I'm in every week, and coming to rides. If it's a group specifically for the few people you ride with, then yeah, of course you're only going to ride with them. But I'm in groups for regions or areas, or a group around here that everyone's advised to join, and we advertise rides all the time there and get new people. Maybe the groups you're in need some reworking? Or maybe a new group should be created for your area? I'm sure it's all variable based on where you are and what's there. But, just by design FB is so much better for this use.

However, I think FB is complete trash for forum-like use. Things like knowledge and questions/answers and reviews and really anything at all you would want to go back and find later. It just disappears in all the photos and events and random posts. I absolutely despise FB for this type of talk, and agree with you that forums should be used for this.

mtbr member
    Weird, as I've just begun to come back here as FB is too time sucking. Have done a few upgrades to my Demo 8 after looking at new DH prices and look forward to spending more time riding.
    WATERBOARDING WORKS

May The Force Be With You
    Fuk Facebook.. it's killing brain cells with people being too damn fooking lazy to google search and want answers but unwilling to do the research to find the answers by those who have more then likely asked the same question(s) on Google that direct people to mtbr

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser