Ti-spring for 5th...- Mtbr.com
    WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Ti-spring for 5th...

I need some help here. I have tuned and adjusted my 5th Element, and it still doesn't feel as plush as I think it should. I'm thinking that my only option would be to break down and get a Ti-spring. I know that the elasticity of the Ti-spring makes the shock feel better; however, does it make it feel good enough to spend about $280 on spring? I'm looking for input on anyone who has put a Ti-Spring on their 5th Element. Also, where is a good place to pick one up? I know they're expensive, but I would like to get the best price possible on one...

Authority is dead!
    195$ sucka!
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    195$ sucka!
    Thanks my man, but the link isn't working. Do you know the name of the company? $195 isn't too bad for Ti-spring...

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    Mar 2005
    Waste of money.
    Unless your a weight weinie and 100 grams makes a diference.

I've used both and the best thing to do is get your shock set up correctly.

Just to give you an idea....F1 race teams have unlimited budgets and care more about weight than any one else...they still run steel springs. The springs last longer and feel better. Titanium reflexes too quickly and most shocks can't keep up. Plus they fatigue.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

"Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by WWT
    I need some help here. I have tuned and adjusted my 5th Element, and it still doesn't feel as plush as I think it should. I'm thinking that my only option would be to break down and get a Ti-spring. I know that the elasticity of the Ti-spring makes the shock feel better; however, does it make it feel good enough to spend about $280 on spring? I'm looking for input on anyone who has put a Ti-Spring on their 5th Element. Also, where is a good place to pick one up? I know they're expensive, but I would like to get the best price possible on one...
    Have you thought of going to a lighter spring weight? Progressive will probably swap you one out for free.

650 yay area
    A ti spring is gonna be about a half pound lighter than a steel spring.

I just got one for my 5th

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang

I've thought about it. Currently, I have a 400 pound spring, and thought maybe a 350 would be better. I'm kind of at the end of my rope here. I always felt that I couldn't justify spening the money on a Ti-spring, but now I starting to re-think that. At this point, I'm willing to try anything. I think if SMT is nice, he'll let me try his Ti-Spring to see how it feels, and then I'll make a decide from there...

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Does the shock feel any better? Saving some weight would be cool, but I'm really looking for a plush race shock...

650 yay area
    Does the shock feel any better? Saving some weight would be cool, but I'm really looking for a plush race shock...
    Don't even have the bike yet. But riding my friends bike with/without a ti spring, his 5th felt much more supple and plush, but still no where near the ride of a DHX. It was an improvement, but not a huge one.

I got a 250 pound spring

Authority is dead!
    I heard Ti springs don't "settle" as fast and stay rather springy. It's at avalanche's web site. They are dealers of some big Ti company that makes springs for a shitload of applications from mtbs to jet fighters.

P.S. Link works for me.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Don't even have the bike yet. But riding my friends bike with/without a ti spring, his 5th felt much more supple and plush, but still no where near the ride of a DHX. It was an improvement, but not a huge one.

I got a 250 pound spring
    I'm going to try out a Ti-spring--hopefully SMT's. If I still don't like it, I may have to get a DHX, that would be about my only option, as I'm not a big Romic fan...

Glad to Be Alive
    I've thought about it. Currently, I have a 400 pound spring, and thought maybe a 350 would be better. I'm kind of at the end of my rope here. I always felt that I couldn't justify spening the money on a Ti-spring, but now I starting to re-think that. At this point, I'm willing to try anything. I think if SMT is nice, he'll let me try his Ti-Spring to see how it feels, and then I'll make a decide from there...

anytime you want to borrow it, jimmy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    I heard Ti springs don't "settle" as fast and stay rather springy. It's at avalanche's web site. They are dealers of some big Ti company that makes springs for a shitload of applications from mtbs to jet fighters.

P.S. Link works for me.

can you post the website......want some Ti-springs for the shiver
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    anytime you want to borrow it, jimmy
    Thanks brother...you're too kind to me.

Authority is dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    can you post the website......want some Ti-springs for the shiver
    Ti springs

www.coilspring.com , Ti springs by Renton.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I have a 500lb RCS spring on my DHX, which is designed for Manitou. 500x2.3. I am riding oversprung and am looking for a 450lb spring, Ti. PM me if you're interested in a trade.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when you’re young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when you’re old."

Riding dirt since 1970
    My Renton coil took 6ozs. off my Bullit. The guy there found me one in stock that was part of some proto run and just happened to meet my specs for $100. bucks. Nice, bead blasted finish. They will outlast teel springs (and probably you shock) many times over. They will save you weight, but won't really change the feel over a steel spring. Your frame maker should be able to tell you what spring is right for your weight.
    Med. V10.5 for sale

Riding dirt since 1970

I've got a 350 & 375# steel springs

...off my '03 Bullit/5th, 2.5" stroke. $25 shipped.
    Med. V10.5 for sale

Pro Crastinator
    i notice absolutely no difference from a steel spring and a Ti one on my curnutt, except for the obvious weight change, and i only notice that with my shock in my hand, not on the bike....