Thudbuster worth it on urban / trail bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thudbuster worth it on urban / trail bike?

I'm looking to build up an Azonic Steelhead for some uraban and trail riding. Basically riding up and down stairs, sub 4 foot drops (usually) to flat, and some really seriously rocky trails. Forks a 130mm 2001 z1 mcr, if it matters.

I'm pretty tall and expect to have about 10 inches of seatpost showing when I'm riding trails- I don't like to BMX it. A Thompson is obviously a good choice, maybe the best, but would it be a good idea to get a Thudbuster (the 4 pivot kind) to spare my back on trails, and make longer (90+ minute) rides more pleasent? It also seems like it would be good for the occasional botched drop, as a "no crush zone". Or is such a post just gonna wear out fast under such (ab)use? I plan drop the seat down when doing most jumps / drops, at least during urban rides, but you know how it goes....

TNC
    noMAD man
    I sure didn't like one. On anything other than a fairly buff trail, it was freakin' pogo stick...obviously it has no real rebound control like a real shock. I realize you're going to be standing a good deal on stairs or anything really rough, but there will be times when you're sitting and you catch that unexpected object...boing. The stuff you mention riding is definitely not the kind of terrain where a Thudbuster excels. I think they are fairly well made and all, but for anything other than relatively smoother trail riding, I think they're almost dangerous. I'd go either 100% full suspension or a hardtail with really big, soft tires.

bpuodt
    For urban riding, they just get in the way.

I have a thudbuster on my steelhead BTW!

It's great for trail riding though! Perfect combo with the steelhead. Great thing about the steelhead with a 130mm fork is that the seat tube leans back more than most bikes. This provides for a better movement of the Thuddy. I;ve had the tuddy on my XC bike and it sucked because the seat angle was too far forward and the thuddy would just bouce me out of the saddle.

I wouldn't pick a single different seat post for the steelhead if you plan on trail riding a bit. It makes all the difference in the world for trails. It allows you to stay seated more often (except for larger bumps) and thus save energy for jumps and obstacles.

I've also noticed the Thuddy will make the bike ride like a dual suspension as long as you're seated. I'm able to stay seated on anything smaller than 3 inches across. It also makes the bike faster on logging roads and trails with small stuff all over them.

For the steelhead, the thuddy is worth every penny. It's with other types of frames and bikes that the thuddy falls short. I;ve never once felt like it was trying to bounce me out of my seat with the steelhead.

Go for it! It rocks!

edit: make sure to get the 450mm version though, it fits the steelhead better which is a low frame to begin with. They sell the 450mm one at AEBike.com

Just Ride
    just stand up...

sit and pedal when it smooth and stand up when it gets bumpy, its not that tricky

i dont think i could ever run a suspension seat post. in my oppion they're just kinda bo bo and should be reserved for hybrids. if you want that added suspension to make you faster and stuff buy a full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    just stand up...

sit and pedal when it smooth and stand up when it gets bumpy, its not that tricky

i dont think i could ever run a suspension seat post. in my oppion they're just kinda bo bo and should be reserved for hybrids. if you want that added suspension to make you faster and stuff buy a full suspension bike.
    On the trails around here where it would be worth riding a bike like that, there's no "when it gets bumpy"- its ALL bumpy, for 10 straight miles of singletrack.
    I've seen the TB in action, its not your normal little pogo stick for hybrids.

It sounds like maybe I wan't two seatposts, maybe with diffrent saddles on them; one full ridged with a free-ride seat for urban riding, one thudbuster for trails. Which ends up costing as much as the frame, but the combo is still less than a squishy bike, and probably stronger too. And I don't have to buy it all at once...

Members who have read this thread: 0