Throwin down @ the BMX track- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Throwin down @ the BMX track

One of the top BMX tracks in the nation is right by my house. It is open to the public at all times (weather permitting). As I mentioned before, I am relatively new to freeriding, so I am not sure how all this works. Is it worth my time to go hit the jumps at the track, or will that piss the BMX'ers off? Will these jumps be affective with a Freeride bike?

Pro Crastinator
    bmx track jumps are a whole different monster. the jumps are typically flat faced (no curving transition) and lipless (easier to speedroll) but still fun to learn none the less......

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    bmx track jumps are a whole different monster. the jumps are typically flat faced (no curving transition) and lipless (easier to speedroll) but still fun to learn none the less......
    yah, unless you're running a hardtail, your suspension is gonna eat up most of those jumps.

It's a good place to learn to ride smooth, and rail berms, but in terms of hucking and jumps, you're better off building your own.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

go big or go home
    just kick the bmxers asses if they say anything. Its all about speed man, true suspension does soak up a lot but you can still get shitloads of air im sure, especially if this place is as big as it sounds

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

It'll Make you a Better Rider

Riding the BMX track will make you a better downhiller; I try to get on the track once a week. However, I have found that riding a BMX track is best on a BMX bike. I've tried downhill bikes and hardtails and it doesn't really work too well.

The good news is that you can pick up a used BMX bike for a few hundred bucks, and riding a bike without suspension will make you a smoother rider when you are on your downhill rig...