Thoughts: Girlfriends bike, also my 4x/ds bike?- Mtbr.com
    _

Thoughts: Girlfriends bike, also my 4x/ds bike?

Hey guys. This is sort of for the ds/4x crowd.

I built up a rig (Haro x1) for my girlfriend last year, and it barely ever gets ridden. She's usually too busy with school during the year and work during the summer.

I was wondering how short of top tubes do you guys run on your 4x/ds rigs?

This is an xs, which has a 21 inch top tube. Pretty darn short, I'm 5'10. But isn't it sometimes the case that people run bikes with shorter top tube/wheelbases for their 4x bikes?

I was thinking with the 5 inch rear travel setting (which is still a lot of travel for 4x I know) and the tora U-turn I put on it (90-130mm) it could have a moderately similar geo/feel to a 4x bike?

Current spec list (that I'd be keeping)
    - Velo road saddle
    - Rockshox Tora UTURN Coil
    - Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air
    - Shimano 105 Short cage rear der
    - Avid Juicy 3s

I'd like to get some outside opinions on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I Have Cookies

the fork......

is that a tora 302? if it is ditch it! its plenty strong but I't will be spewing in no time......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

_
    ^^ seals aren't expensive or hard to come by, and I service my forks fairly regularly, so it shouldn't be a problem. I personally dont know of any issues with these but I don't have much experience with this specific fork. But, if they have the same problems the Darts do, the O rings SRAM put on the top caps are undersized, which lets oil seep through when bottomed hard or when taking repeated hits when 'locked out.' So that's a pretty darned easy fix as well, get a bigger O ring.

mtbr member
    IMO that tora is the only thing preventing that bike from being a awesome 4X rig. Tora 302 / 318 are designed for XC, they are just up from darts in quality, plus they are notorious for having crap seals, plus the dampening isnt that great. Sell it and get a set of pikes or Argyles, then that 4X rig will be ready to shed with the best of em

Pivotal figure
    That bike would be a cool jumper for sure. Might want to ditch the front der. setup though...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

外国人
    Jun 2007
    go clipless!
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

mtbr member
    I'd slap some small block 8's on there and put a single ring guide in the front. It's worth a try...
    Team _________

_
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    I'd slap some small block 8's on there and put a single ring guide in the front. It's worth a try...
    Yeah, good point. Maybe I'll bring this down to your trail some time in the near future and just see if I can ride something this short without feeling all squirley.

Members who have read this thread: 0