Thought you guys might get a kick out of this- Mtbr.com
    DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this

Major props to this kid! Built his own wicked cool FR bike.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Holy [email protected]

The guy's a genius.
    Great future, that's for sure.

Thanks for this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    wizzler is a must. although then it consumes all your waking and sleeping thoughts until you can return.

Disco-Superfly
    wow...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

I bike long tyme.
    Wonder how much time he has invested in that?
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Woah

It's beautiful..

Lord of the Chainrings

Good job! Awesome work!

Genius!
    I'd be too scared to ride it because I'd freak out over every scratch and nick!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr remember
    excellent stuff! that guy is good! I like his frame jig, very interesting!!!!!

There is currently a dude on bustedspokedotcom that is welding up his own steel parallel link bike (looks similar to a Zumbi / polish brand). should be cool.

here's a pic of another I've seen around, it's a "Birol". that's all I wrote in the file name... don't know anything other than that though... Impressive though no doubt, made his own fork as well!
    Schralp it Heavy.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    damn... look at that... i wish i could do that...

pwn3rator
    neat...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Wow..
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Glad to Be Alive
    beautiful bike, but 8.1 pounds is a lot of weight
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS

yeah, I somewhat agree... a lot of weight compared to the bike you constructed, which weighs ZERO POUNDS.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Ricky DH
    Incredible!

That other one is cool too, but looks like a tank!

Some Assembly Required
    Cool frame. Notice th' virtual pivot logo th SC uses on his lower link?? Think he might'of had a lil coachin' & legal wranglin' to deal with??

Wonder if I'll have to pay'em???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Cool frame. Notice th' virtual pivot logo th SC uses on his lower link?? Think he might'of had a lil coachin' & legal wranglin' to deal with??

Wonder if I'll have to pay'em???
    he only made the frame for himself, not for production or profit. he won't have any legal problems I don't believe. It says that in the discussion farther below in the link...

Have you seen the 24Bicycles Fat Daddy? blatantly uses VPP, but isn't liscenced (AFAIK). It just isn't available in NA, only europe.
    Schralp it Heavy.

go huck yourself
    i want one of those he should take that to santa cruz or someone he will make a fortune

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    neat...
    Bwahahahahaha.....

*doubles over laughing*

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Looks like a 6.6 wrapped in carbon and with custom links. Pretty cool.

kona-tize me captain
    looks sickkkkk
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Student
    wicked cool.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

East Coast Style
    wow
    that things insane
    that kids goin places
    Intense Socom
    Transition Double

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Bum Buzzer
    Gorgeous! Its like a carbon Nomad with bling-tox injections.

WOW

clyde in training
    anyone catch how much it cost him to do?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    8 lbs. is not a lot of weight for a 6" travel bike. 7 would be better but 8's not bad.

edit: I think that bike is an incredible work of art. Props to that guy for building it on his own.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    neat...
    yup....

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    looks sickkkkk
    Quit trying to ride on Scabrider's coattails.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow! Can't believe how nice it turned out. How much time and money DID it cost him?

mtbr member
    Hi guys,
    its me, CarbonMike. It took me almost 3 years to design, engineer and build this carbon frame. I build it for less that 700dolars! But theres ton of handwork.
    About that VPP. I dont think that will be problem for SC. THERE WILL BE NO COPY OF THIS FRAME. IT IS NOTHING COMMERCTIAL, NOTHING FOR ,,MONEY MAKING,,. I just love Intense and SantaCrus bikes som much that I decited to build my own for ME. Because I dont have money to JUST buy it. Money is also reason for that oldschool shock. Its easy to buy DHX Air when you have money... I dont have.
    About that weight. Of course its bit heavy for carbon fiber frame, but you have to consider that its homemade. Try to build your own and we will see
    In the middle of this year Im going to start Evolution II project with DIFFERENT SUSPENSION SYSTEM and with pro technoloogy. I hope it will be beginning of low-scale production. So check www.carbonmike.sk for informations (page is not ready now)

Ricky DH
    I'd like to see it built up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Very impressive! I have a couple questions... hopefully it doesn't sound negative.

But, is carbon the best material for this use? Seems like structural integrity of the carbon might be compromised in DH/FR abuse. I'm no DH expert here... Are there any production DH/FR bikes in carbon? Not just the rear triangle.
    Last edited by jldavis; 03-23-2007 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    CarbonMike- All that matters is YOU BUILT your own carbon frame. That's quite an achievement. Good luck with the new designs. Great job!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Major props to this kid! Built his own wicked cool FR bike.

Even though what he did was cool, I can't help but think he went the wrong direction.

Notice how his frame has the cool resin carbon fiber look to it? Well, resin weighs much more than carbon and is not as strong, thus you don't see carbon frames looking like that these days. They all have a flat black or painted look because they use the proper amount of fiber to resin ratio. His frame would be stronger for the same weight if he didn't go for looks.

In terms of looks, it's one of the coolest frames I've ever seen. I just hope he did his calculations right and doesn't hurt himself!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    CarbonMike, wow the carbon lay-up looks sweet, clean & neat. I am a woodworker, just wondering why you did not make rear wood triangle bars in one piece? An easy & better way to do this is to make up a form & laminate it up in one piece.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by SpawningGround
    Even though what he did was cool, I can't help but think he went the wrong direction.

Notice how his frame has the cool resin carbon fiber look to it? Well, resin weighs much more than carbon and is not as strong, thus you don't see carbon frames looking like that these days. They all have a flat black or painted look because they use the proper amount of fiber to resin ratio. His frame would be stronger for the same weight if he didn't go for looks.

In terms of looks, it's one of the coolest frames I've ever seen. I just hope he did his calculations right and doesn't hurt himself!
    Or it could just be clear coat paint...

The fact that he thought of it, designed it, figured it all out and then have the motivation and determination to see it through makes him a rare bird, especially for his age. For his first frame, he picked one hell of a challenging project! Major props from me, I understand what he had to go through to make it all happen.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Hard as nails
    Totally awesome. Great work and it looks GOOD
    Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.
    Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpawningGround

2SpawningGround: OMG what are you talking about??? What do you mean by reasin look? Carbon frames which are painted black need this black colour because thay dont have nice top layer of weaved fabric. Just pure UNI carbon which dont look too impresive. Or thay are painted because they want to hide disorientations of carbon fabric. Of course there is more reasin then in profi frames, but its caused by easy technology. But thats something you dont understand, just writing something you heard.

2VP Not Free: Rear core is made from balsa wood. For me it was simple to do it this way. Im not sure if you know how difficult is to make one piece part made from two piece mould. This way is lot easyer. Thrust me.

My next frame will be on profi level. This was only the beginning...

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by jldavis
    Very impressive! I have a couple questions... hopefully it doesn't sound negative.

But, is carbon the best material for this use? Seems like structural integrity of the carbon might be compromised in DH/FR abuse. I'm no DH expert here... Are there any production DH/FR bikes in carbon? Not just the rear triangle.
    BCD, Lahar, and Krutor come to mind for carbon DH/FR companies... and the Lahar has a centrally mounted drive-train. check'em all out, works of art just standing still, but I'm sure they must shred too. (I'll add that I'm not the largest fan of carbon in my personal use, but in these cases, including CarbonMikes achievement, respect is due!

Also, did you read that linked thread? he designed it for heavy AM/FR, not DH.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonMike
    2SpawningGround: OMG what are you talking about??? What do you mean by reasin look? Carbon frames which are painted black need this black colour because thay dont have nice top layer of weaved fabric. Just pure UNI carbon which dont look too impresive. Or thay are painted because they want to hide disorientations of carbon fabric. Of course there is more reasin then in profi frames, but its caused by easy technology. But thats something you dont understand, just writing something you heard.

2VP Not Free: Rear core is made from balsa wood. For me it was simple to do it this way. Im not sure if you know how difficult is to make one piece part made from two piece mould. This way is lot easyer. Thrust me.

My next frame will be on profi level. This was only the beginning...
    CarbonMike, thanks for coming over to discuss your frame here! Incredible achievement no doubt, and I'm not a typical fan of carbon, but I can still respect it for sure!

but, you don't have to get super defensive here, there will ALWAYS be critics and doubters, but in most cases they may just be people who don't understand. Hell, I don't even understand that whole process... haha....
    what are those tiny pieces in the pics all lined up? one is the clear mold, and one piece appears to be alu for making the mold, or what? and one appears to be unshaved... ? are those cable guides?
    man, now that is just an interesting little detail that I never thought of in the carbon building process... again, incredible, as well as the fabrication of your own jig. mucho props to you my friend!
    keep us updated!
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    CarbonMike, thanks for coming over to discuss your frame here! Incredible achievement no doubt, and I'm not a typical fan of carbon, but I can still respect it for sure!

but, you dont have to get super defensive here, there will ALWAYS be critics and doubters, but in most cases they may just be people who don't understand. Hell, I don't even understand that whole process... haha....
    what are those tiny pieces in the pics all lined up? one is the clear mold, and one piece appears to be alu for making the mold, or what? and one appears to be unshaved... ? are those cable guides?
    man, now that is just an interesting little detail that I never thought of in the carbon building process... again, incredible, as well as the fabrication of your own jig. mucho props to you my friend!
    keep us updated!
    You are right about that ,,critics,,

Those tiny pieces are cable guides. I made them one by one with that clear blue mould (made from alu model) so you are right....
    Thanks man

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    ....Wonder if I'll have to pay'em???
    looks like you are gonna have brake-jack issues...

w3rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbonMike
    You are right about that ,,critics,,

Those tiny pieces are cable guides. I made them one by one with that clear blue mould (made from alu model) so you are right....
    Thanks man
    ...so any pictures of it finished?!?!

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    anyone catch how much it cost him to do?
    700 bucks
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

go huck yourself
    i respect you so much i want to design my own titanium shore/freeride hatdtail with 150mm marazocci up front but dont have the time

mtbr member
    By the way, my frame is clear-coated with polyurethane clearcoat as DWF said.

Ok guys, I want to thank you for your interest and all comments I really appreciate that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI

but, you don't have to get super defensive here, there will ALWAYS be critics and doubters, but in most cases they may just be people who don't understand. Hell, I don't even understand that whole process... haha....
    keep us updated!

And a lot of people aren't even critics. They're people that read some sh1t on the internet somewhere that someone else said and off of a sudden they think they're experts. I find I have to listen carefully sometimes on here. It's frustrating how bad info gets shot around. For the most part, MOST people know what they're talking about. And CarbonMike said the same thing.."But that's something you don't understand, just writing something you heard."
    Last edited by mjsca07; 03-24-2007 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    new riding (DH race) photos on my web... www.carbonmike.sk

Yay! Bikes !
    great work mike.
    (pic cropped to meet size requirements, not to cut off your head!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    wow... prettttyyy!!! XD

Members who have read this thread: 0