third bike stolen...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

third bike stolen...

now, here at school, i have had my third bike stolen. its just my commuter bike, but still, this is starting to piss me off. first one was an ooooold schwin bike, with the big handle bars and chrome fenders and springs, then my old cromo hard rock (which i later found) and now my old cannondale road bike. the thing that pisses me off the most is that i just spent 50 dollars to put new tires on it. i litterally have ridden them once. i swear, if the guy were here now, i would take my 30" pipe wrench out of my truck and break his shins in half. i mean, WTF, who steals bikes....

may they all burn in hell

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to hear that sucks...where was it when it got stolen??Did you have it locked up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    outside my apartment. locked with a cable, one of those kryptonite vinyl coverd cable things. of course they just cut right through it. other than spending 100 dollars on one of the NYC lock systems that weighs just as much as my bike does, theres not a whole lot one can do to prevent these "people" from stealing our bikes...

mtbr member
    Buy a busted old van and keep the bike locked up in the van out front.

Cynical Bystander
    That sucks man.

Can you store bikes in your apartment at all?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

gentle like
    That does suck.

If it's always outside your place, why not hit the hardward store, and get yerself a decent quality length of chain and a bigass lock? It'll do you better than a vinyl kryptonite, and shouldn't cost $100 ... at least it didn't when I did it.

I know you can't (don't really want to) bike with that to school or whereever, but take the vinyl krypto with you on those occasions ...

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Thats sucks dude. It makes you want to beat the crap out of bike stealers.

nnn
    mtbr member
    I keep an Oxford monster chain and pad (10 kilos) locked to the rack at college and carry a lighter Kryptonite 4 star with me...to be honest I still feel eternally worried until I see my bike again in the afternoon. I've had two bikes stolen and I know how much it sucks

The Amazing Shrinking Man

... and if we just ... Boron Steel is your best solution!

I'd suggest a Boron steel chain and lock! You can't cut it with boltcutters and it takes 20 minutes to burn through it with an oxy-acetelyne torch!(Just don't lose your key!) Lock will be about $75.00 and chain about $45.00. Worth it though! BTW, you can cut it with a diamond cutting wheel, but those are beyond most bike thieves means and there is a limit to what one of those ijit's will try to get a bike! You'd probably love the expression on their faces though when all they do is notch the jaws on their boltcutter! Incidentally, I see we share a birthday!
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulentfox
    outside my apartment. locked with a cable, one of those kryptonite vinyl coverd cable things. of course they just cut right through it. other than spending 100 dollars on one of the NYC lock systems that weighs just as much as my bike does, theres not a whole lot one can do to prevent these "people" from stealing our bikes...
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

mtbr member
    May 2005
    sorry to hear that man. time to get a unicycle... I think the theives might let you keep it.
    Bomb Hills, not Countries

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have had a couple bikes stolen as well. When I was In college someone came right into the House my buddy and I were renting while we were at school and presto! No more hardtail. I had the bike in the living room at the time.

I was so pissed, I went to the persons house who I thought/knew stole it and kicked the door down and had a look around. To no avail. In this case I knew who took it but could not prove it to the police. The $1500.00 bike was probably sold for a bag of weed.

This was like 5 years ago and it still pisses me off. Must go punch something now. Kidding.

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That sucks so bad. I'm sure there is a special place in hell for bike thieves...

Don't skid
    I had a sweet 24" Fat Boy cruiser stolen form outside my dorm in college. That sucked. But I do have to admit though that in my younger and more ignorant days I aquired a bike or two unlawfully so i deserved to have mine stolen (I bought the Fat Boy new BTW).

I have an old beater cruiser I use for grocery store and beers runs. I don't even lock it up b/c it looks like such a POS. You should try that apporach. Make your commuter bike so ghetto looking that nobody will want it.

Renegade of Krunk
    Sounds like you might want to start leaving the bike indoors when it is night or you're away.

My hardtail is always in our guest room unless I am riding it. Not going to have a bike that cost me over a g stolen.

If I were you I'd either buy a big ass pitbull and chain him to the bike which is chained to something sturdy or just buy 2 or 3 big ass chains and locks to make sure they won't get through it unless they've got a grinder and or plasma cutter. Sorry to hear about your loss.
    I'm not new to this, I'm true to this

Bad@ss NYC Freerider
    Things are differant here in the bronx...you cant leave your bike out for more then 10 minutes without it getting stolen, so I make sure my bike is with me all the time...even while I sleep.

never leave your bike out...and if you keep it in a garage, lock it down good...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disco-Superfly
    I bring my bike in my house after every ride. Even if im only getting a drink.
    I would be flaming if that thing got stolen......... Even if I caught him and beat him before he got away.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ya man sorry to hear that, that suxs, maybe some has a grudge against you or maybe its sjut bad luck

not really a noob
    a kid tried to steal my warp last summer, since then hes been home schooled and no longer rides in town. draw tour own conclusions
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    get one of those kryptonite locks with a 3500 dollar anti-theft gaurantee.

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005

banned
    Mar 2005
    the b*st*rds...we do two things here. all of the bike couriers and in-town commuters paint out any ID on our bikes...our bikes look like crap, the worse the better. I ride a $1K bike in town and it looks like it got dragged out of a river, of course i lock the front wheel and frame to a post, the rear has a clamp on the spindle. Mine are all black with chips and scars.

the off-road bikes i keep COVERED in the garage...a friend had his ($3K Giant) seen through his garage window and they cut a hole in his steel door one day when he was away

mtbr member
    Sucks about the bike, good luck in getting it back..... Someone needs to inform Krytonite the value of top end bikes these days i.e a pimped out Foes will run you around 5K........
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    im so paraniod i keep my bike indoors as well

i was tempted to leave it in the garage and keep the doors open in wait for some kids that ive been suspicious of. when i hear steps outside, id swing openthe door and let a few bbs rip and let the doberman loose then take out the base ball bat
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

Team Sanchez
    Sorry Holmes, but I think my cousins took it. I have no control over them.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Sorry Holmes, but I think my cousins took it. I have no control over them.
    lol. yeah, it wsant a real expensive bike or anything. worth a few hundred max. there is an old condemned dorm here, because they hired the cheapest contractors and they screwed up something in the cement and the cieling fell on some kids bed or something. anyway, there are like three rooms full of old abandoned bikes, and as soon as it gets dark, ill go peice together an "around town" bike.

but i am keeping an eye out for my bike. very recogonizable. the guy is going to be very sorry if i catch him...

soviet pride

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    im so paraniod i keep my bike indoors as well

i was tempted to leave it in the garage and keep the doors open in wait for some kids that ive been suspicious of. when i hear steps outside, id swing openthe door and let a few bbs rip and let the doberman loose then take out the base ball bat
    ya im paranoid aswell. every time i ride somewhere and have to leave my bike unattended i use 2 locks. One of which is a pistol lock made of some sort of titanium which i use to lock my backwheel to the frame.

i was also gonna say...leave a bike unlocked infront of your apartment or wherever and hide in some nearby bushes with a small calibre rifle of pellet gun and when the fuker tries to steal it just plant one right in his left asscheek. This is sort of the same plan that me and a friend were plannin on doing because there is someone who has tried to break into his house numerous times in the middle of the night.
    im all about midget drops