Thinking about a Heckler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thinking about a Heckler

I still have a few days to decide but I ordered me a 2008 Yeti 575 frame with the aluminum rear end a little while back. I was under the impression that this was an all mountain bike that could still handle some some aggressive downhill, drops, some freeride but I'm not talking about anything over board, but still a bike that is not afraid to get some air. Now I'm rethinking of going with a 2008 Santa Cruz Heckler. Anyone care to help me with my decision? Just after reading more and more on the 575 it looks as if it's mainly for XC and that's about it.......well that's not the way I ride I find it pretty boring. Now I do live in the south but we still have some pretty fast single tracks with mid sized jumps and rolling hills that can get pretty rough and once I get more confidence I'll be hitting the bigger doubles......it sounds like the Yeti 575 is just not the choice for me anymore after reading up on it more. I'm more of a downhiller and aggressive rider rather than a pedaller wanting to ride all day long I can't wait to move up north then I'll be getting me a true DH bike for sure but for now I need something that can hold me over for about a year or so, I'm looking for something that can handle more abuse and I am around 235 as well. It sounds as if the Heckler may be the better option. God the new 575 is so beautiful but I won't let that make my decision.lol Thanks in advance.

addict

... and if we just ...

The Heckler will probably suit your riding style more. I'm 220 geared up, my '07 Heckler has taken all the abuse I can dish out. It just feels solid and instills confidence to ride harder.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    I'm about 210lb geared up and beat on an '06 Heckler for the better part of a season and it handled it rather well for a "trailbike". The newer versions are supposed to be a bit stiffer and I would imagine they could be ridden as hard or harder than the older model. There are a lot of bikes that could fit your requirements, so research as much as you can. Good luck.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The 575 definitely has more of a XC feel to it than the Heckler. It'll take some abuse, but not as much. For what it's worth, I've seen Hecklers going off 12'+ drops, and I've never seen a 575 more than 3' off the ground.

Freeriding Feline
    As a former Heckler owner I can say that it withstands more than its share of abuse. The 575 is a great looking bike, but the '08 Heckler may be more suited for your needs.
    I don't know if you have done so, but you migh want to ask in the Santa Cruz / Yeti Forums.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Baba Booey!
    Yeah, the heckler is the way to go. I do everything with mine. It climbs great, especially with the 36 TALAS on there, and it is really very capable on the downhills. I take it to Diablo in the summer, and it really holds its own. I don't do anything too crazy with it, but I have definitely progressed on it.

Good Luck with it !!!

mtbr member
    Heckler fo sho

Elitest thrill junkie
    You can do better than a heckler though. The heckler requires more compression damping due to the falling-rate design, and the rear swingarm acts like a huge lever when it encounters off-camber hits and stuff. While not a bad bike, you could do much better IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    the heckler is better than the 575

a reign x would do you even better if not the regular reign series. I rode both an 04 and i still have an 05 heckler that i love. it is such a fun bike, but my reign x is def. a better bike. feels much deeper in travel while still being jumpy and poppy
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbound
    I I'm more of a downhiller and aggressive rider rather than a pedaller wanting to ride all day long I can't wait to move up north then I'll be getting me a true DH bike for sure but for now I need something that can hold me over for about a year or so, I'm looking for something that can handle more abuse and I am around 235 as well. .

for your size I would get the Bullit
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    My wife and I both ride them. Right now I have it set up Supermoto style. Lots of brakes, and slicks for winter commuting. They have been the best do it all bikes we have ever owned. I can go light duty DH to skate park to cross country all in about a 1/2 hour.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Balls to the wall until you see god. Turn Left!

mtbr member
    I have looked into those bikes such as the Bullit but I don't think I'll be needing that much travel........and after reading all the reviews on the Heckler it seems like the bike for me. Once I have it all put together and ride the crap out of it I can always sell it if I don't like it and come back here and say "well you guy's told me so".lol but after what I have been reading I'm sticking with the Heckler......and remember I live in the south so I don't want an overload of travel but I do occasionally take trips further up north and still this bike seems like it would still fit the bill even for that. I just need an all around tough bike to hold me over for a while until I'm out of school then I can move up north and buy the kind of bike I really want which would be a strictly downhill bike......because that is my favorite kind of riding hands down......but for now I'm stuck in the south but we do have some pretty killer single tracks which are fast as hell believe it or not and are an absolute blast along with some fun jumps and freeride trails as well.

You guy's up north or so lucky. but I'll be there one day.

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbound
    I have looked into those bikes such as the Bullit but I don't think I'll be needing that much travel........and after reading all the reviews on the Heckler it seems like the bike for me. Once I have it all put together and ride the crap out of it I can always sell it if I don't like it and come back here and say "well you guy's told me so".lol but after what I have been reading I'm sticking with the Heckler......and remember I live in the south so I don't want an overload of travel but I do occasionally take trips further up north and still this bike seems like it would still fit the bill even for that. I just need an all around tough bike to hold me over for a while until I'm out of school then I can move up north and buy the kind of bike I really want which would be a strictly downhill bike......because that is my favorite kind of riding hands down......but for now I'm stuck in the south but we do have some pretty killer single tracks which are fast as hell believe it or not and are an absolute blast along with some fun jumps and freeride trails as well.

You guy's up north or so lucky. but I'll be there one day.
    With a coil over you would be very surprised what this little bike can do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll play the devils advocate here. I'm willing to guess that most of the guys above have never ridden a yeti 575... After, Yeti doesn't really appeal to or market to the FR/DH demographic (racers aside). With that said, and having ridden both bikes, I'd take a 2008 575 over a heckler any day. The rear end's travel feels much better, and the 2008 is very stiff. In addition, Yeti designed the frame with a 160mm fork option in mind and the bike simply pins the DH. Take a good look at the geo as well... anyone who thinks the yeti is geared for XC riding must have a hard time deciphering what a 66.9 degree head tube angle and a 16.9 inch chainstay mean on the trail. Go test ride both... don't buy a bike based off what the average kid with internet access has to say.

Also - the heckler is an outstanding bike... but i believe the 575 is simply bit more refined.

mtbr member
    Ahh the madness I have drawn myself into. It's all good but in all honesty I don't think I could go wrong with either of the two I've just decided on the Heckler being it's a little cheaper and from the numerous reviews all over the net about it being more free riding friendly and being that my weight can climb up to 250 at my max during certain times of the year it seems as if the yeti 575 is rated for somewhat lighter riders. I could be wrong on all of this........I just feel more comfort with this decision. I'm sure I'll love it and that's all that matters. Both bikes look beautiful to me but I truly love the idea of having a coil shock......Yeti doesn't offer that option I don't believe so again there is another reason for my decision.

Heckler it is...............Amen.

Carb free mofo
    Dec 2006
    I'll throw a spanner in the works. get an orange patriot!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    im an xc rider wanting to dabble in a little more hardcore territory, i need another bike as my current ride is a blinged out specialized epic, itll do anything once its wheels arent too far off the ground, i live on a small island so its difficult to get access to a variety of bikes, specialized is my best bet, my shop only deals in them and i have good relations with the boss.

i was thinking of an enduro sl, its got good travel its light and its pretty tough, however its more all mountain and theres been a lot of issues with the suspension, my other option is an sx trail 2, i dont know about thease kind of bikes because i dont have experience with freeride machines but this bike looks great, tough as nails good spec and still not stupid heavy, you guys are lucky over there, so many different companys to choose from!!!

P-51 Crew Chief #38
    Quote Originally Posted by hazylogic
    I'll throw a spanner in the works. get an orange patriot!

Why?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtahoe
    With a coil over you would be very surprised what this little bike can do!
    that is my take......definately get a coil over shock......you will feel more plushness
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah, you'd be surprised what a Heckler can do with a coil on it. I have a DHX on mine and love it, the weight penalty is worth it and then some. This fall I was riding with someone on a Heckler at Big Sky and he was keeping up pretty well when I was on my Cuervo. Obviously it isn't a substitute for a pure DH or XC bike, but it really does better than you'd think it would.

Carb free mofo
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtahoe
    Why?
    Because they're ****ing sweet and a similar rig to the heckler? douche.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Def. agree, heckler with a DHX coil is the best setup! I still try to ride mine every day. I ride with a guy that has an Avy DHS and a 2005 66 on his heckler that makes 170mm of travel front and rear. despite how nuts it sounds (and heavy) it actually kicks a lot of butt! the heckler is probably the most versatile bike of all time. (yes i will argue against the nomad and 6.6)
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Members who have read this thread: 0