thinking about getting a Holzfeller OCT crank, but have questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

thinking about getting a Holzfeller OCT crank, but have questions

so I bent my Truvativ Husselefelt when my pedal came in contact with a handrail, and I'm looking for something pretty solid now

so after much searching around, I like the new Truvativ Holzfeller OCT crank. Any comments on this?

but here is my real question. Right now I just have a single 38t with a bash guard, no derailleur, and the Holzfeller is sold with either just a single gear or a bash guard with a middle and small gear.
    Can I either somehow attach a bash guard to the single gear or take the small gear off the other set, either way making a single 38t with a bashguard?

I'm open to suggestions, and thanks in advance guys!
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

biking is fun
    i could be wrong but im very doubtful that the oct will be stronger than hussefelt. the hussefelt are solid metal and the oct's are hollow. and you can remove the small ring or add a bash to the single. either will work

Shop *****
    You can just take the bash off your old cranks and put it on your new ones :?
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    i could be wrong but im very doubtful that the oct will be stronger than hussefelt. the hussefelt are solid metal and the oct's are hollow. and you can remove the small ring or add a bash to the single. either will work
    well from my understanding, the Holzfellers are the strongest cranks Truvativ makes, and the new OCTs are 10% stronger and 75 grams lighter than the regular Holzfellers

but cool though, I didnt know if I could mount my bash guard on the single ring and it would work
    '05 p.2

biking is fun
    i have had both the holzfellers and the hussefelt and the hussefelt was stronger. like i said i could be totally off but i don't understand how hollowing out metal could make it stronger.
    it says its 10% stronger or whatever than the old holzfellers but what about compared to the hunk of metal they call hussefelts?
    i don't really know though so i better be quite now

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Not to derail the thread, but to you people who have had holzfeller and hussefelt cranks, which one do you think would hold up better and is a better value? Also, from your experience did you come across any serious problems, and would you recommend something different that might be a little stronger/better deal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    i have had both the holzfellers and the hussefelt and the hussefelt was stronger. like i said i could be totally off but i don't understand how hollowing out metal could make it stronger.
    it says its 10% stronger or whatever than the old holzfellers but what about compared to the hunk of metal they call hussefelts?
    i don't really know though so i better be quite now
    I know that my old cranks are Hussefelts and I'm actually kind of dissapointed on how easily they bent. Every review that I have read about the Holzfellers is talking about how absolutely indestructible they are

plus, go to Truvativ's website. I think that its pretty obvious which is stronger. Oh, and the original holzfeller appears to be an even bigger chunk of aluminum than the hussefelt.

Quote Originally Posted by Truvativ's website
    OCT™ :: Open Core Technology. The process is incredible. A single mass of our AL-7050-TV premium alloy is pushed, pulled and squeezed into a hollow crank arm. Our AL-7050-TV is 75% stronger than commonly used 6061 aluminum. Somewhere in the process some special magic happens to produce such strength in a weight conscious package. Our OCT cranks are stiffer and stronger than solid forged cranksets. The process is exclusive to Truvativ and has been refined over the last year producing a robust process with extreme results.
    and for a 3rd party view:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/SRAM-20...-Truvativ.html

FYI: I'm not flaming you or anything like that. I'm just trying to inform, and making sure that I have all of my facts straight as well
    '05 p.2

Meh.
    By creating a void inside the crank, you can make it stiffer. It has to do with the shape of the void and crank and whatnot.

What's really cool is that those cranks are 7000 series aluminum. Shimano is master of cold forging, and they still haven't touched on that yet. They're still working with 6000 series.

Members who have read this thread: 0