Are these parts right for me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Are these parts right for me?

I need a new hub, chain, and cassette. I also want to get a new derailer.

I really dont like the way my xt shifts. Its really slow and doesnt feel very solid. I rode my friends bike with an x-9 on it and it felt amazing. shifting was really solid, smooth, and responsive.
    These are the parts I want to get.I dont care about weight. Ive got two rings up front. How are these parts?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=070%20SRA518

or

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12913-065_SRA974-3-Parts-51-Cassettes/Sram-PG-970-Cassette-9-Speed-'07.htm

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=135%20SRAX93

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...d=070%20SRA518

hope pro 2 rear hub
    Last edited by MTB_prodigy; 03-31-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Meh.
    I'd grab an XT cassette. The PG970 is heavy and shifting is nothing to write home about. A old worn out drivetrain with gunked up cables, stretched chain, etc is not going to shift as well as a newer properly adjusted setup...

Forget the SRAM chain too... The new ones with the cross-step aren't very good. Grab a Wipperman - well worth the extra money. If you can't swing for that... grab a KMC x9 or a Shimano XTR.

If you're running a single ring up front, you may as well get a short or medium cage derailleur (depending on the spread of the cassette and how much chaingrowth your frame encounters). You can even run a medium with a double ring... just have to be conscious to avoid certain gear combos (can be replicated anyways).

mtbr member
    Im running two rings up front. the wipperman chain is too expensive. My derailer is kinda old too. If I get a new derailer should I get a medium cage?

mtbr member
    Hey will I really want to try Sram, what cassette and chain should I get? The Wipperman is too expensive. Ill probably end up buying the x-9 in a month and a half. I really need the new cassette though cause Im going to get the wheel built once I get the hub.

EastBaySteez
    This is what I would do with your bike.

12-27 cassette
    Med x9
    x9 trigger shifter
    Sram 971 chain

I've ran 971's for the last year. Replaced two of them just because the more you replace chains the longer your cassette will last. (along with front rings)

I run a 32 up front, 12-23 in the back, short cage x9 (almost zero chain growth tho) with a x9 shifter. For anything from 5-6 hour all mountain rides to N* in the summer.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Meh.
    Don't bother with the SRAM cassette. It's equivalent in the Shimano line doesn't shift as well, is heavier, and is more expensive. Just get an XT - I would sell you an XTR for the price of an XT... but I'm not at home. The SRAM 970 doesn't even use a carrier. So it'll chew up your freehub too. I like SRAM stuff, but the cassettes are crappy - the 990 is only okay, not great. There have even been problems where the cogs are too thick. In my opinion, if you ride often or aggressively, you shouldn't bother looking at anything lower than an XT level cassette. It uses an aluminum carrier - it cuts weight, is stiffer, doesn't chew up your freehub, etc. It shifts well and lasts.

Their chains suck too. Get a KMC x9 or a XTR since the Wipperman is too much. Just throw a Powerlink on the XTR chain. I don't like how the cross-step shifts. They seem to stretch quite a bit too... I gave my friend a 971. He doesn't even ride that aggressively. I do all of his maintenance. I had to replace the chain in under 4 months because of how much it stretched. The older PC-79 was better.

You can get a medium cage, but you may have to be careful on certain gear combinations. A big ring - big ring combo would be tight. But as you cycle through the travel, chaingrowth occurs, this may overstress the derailleur. So you may want to avoid gears like that... The same ratio can be reproduced in the granny.

mtbr member
    So you guys are suggesting I get a med cage because I have two rings up front? how do the different cage sizes affect performance?
    I think Im going to get a 11-32 cassette. I currently have 11-34 cassette and I like it.

EastBaySteez
    Will I ran KMC x9 on my XC hardtail back in the day. I blew through those chains way faster than any Sram chain I have used.

I broke at least 5 before I made the switch over to Sram.
    They are cheap but IMO blow.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

mtbr member
    I just read some info on derailer cages and I think Im going to go with the 11-27 cassette like motormonkey suggested.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_prodigy
    I just read some info on derailer cages and I think Im going to go with the 11-27 cassette like motormonkey suggested.
    Its defiantly not a 11-34. Im telling you that right now It'll make you a stronger rider for sure.
    Gamut
    Team Evil

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I don't like how the cross-step shifts. They seem to stretch quite a bit too... I gave my friend a 971. He doesn't even ride that aggressively. I do all of his maintenance. I had to replace the chain in under 4 months because of how much it stretched. The older PC-79 was better.
    Are these the only two problems you've come across with the new cross-step chains? I've always run the PC-991 hollow pin until I snapped 2 of them in a week. A shop buddy recommended the new cross-step chain claiming it was stronger; so I bought 2. So far it's good; my shifting has been a little sluggish but I figured that was from an over the bars crash that seized my mech a bit. It was fixed but the shifting is still a bit weird.
    I'm still assuming it's the messed up rear der; but what's going on with the shifting that you don't like?

Slap happy crappiness
    For pure DH a tighter cassette is better. An 11-27 will be a good middle ground. I personally run a 11-23, and usually never find myself in the high or low ring with a 36 up front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHGnaR
    For pure DH a tighter cassette is better. An 11-27 will be a good middle ground. I personally run a 11-23, and usually never find myself in the high or low ring with a 36 up front.

I do some climbing though so i need a cassette I climb with.

mtbr member
    You might want to go with a 32 or 34 then. What size is your small frount ring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    You might want to go with a 32 or 34 then. What size is your small frount ring?

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you're running a 34 in the rear, you're going to need a medium cage. Period. If you're running a 32 or lower, a short cage will most likely work depending on your suspension's chaingrowth (like Will mentioned).

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rb
    If you're running a 34 in the rear, you're going to need a medium cage. Period. If you're running a 32 or lower, a short cage will most likely work depending on your suspension's chaingrowth (like Will mentioned).
    I run a short with a 11-34... but it's on a hardtail...

mtbr member
    I keep changing my mind but I hopefully this is my final decision. 11-32 cassette (SRAM)
    Any suggestions on chains and cassettes? I have a hundred bucks to spend on the cassette and chain.

Meh.
    I keep changing my mind but I hopefully this is my final decision. 11-32 cassette (SRAM)
    Any suggestions on chains and cassettes? I have a hundred bucks to spend on the cassette and chain.
    How many times have I got to say it? Don't bother with the SRAM chains and cassettes. Anything less than the 990 is heavy and archaic. And the 990 is still merely "ok" An XT cassette is 50 bucks, and XTR chain is like... 30. The XT is cheaper than the 990, it shifts better, and it weighs less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    How many times have I got to say it? Don't bother with the SRAM chains and cassettes. Anything less than the 990 is heavy and archaic. And the 990 is still merely "ok" An XT cassette is 50 bucks, and XTR chain is like... 30. The XT is cheaper than the 990, it shifts better, and it weighs less.

I guess ill get an xt cassette an xtr chain and I wont change the derailer.

Members who have read this thread: 0