Which of these bikes seem the best to you?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Which of these bikes seem the best to you?

2014 Trek 9.9 Dorado fork, RC4 shock For Sale

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1949...75060439527766

2016 Commencal Supreme DH V4 650b For Sale

2015 Banshee Legend DH Bike For Sale

To me the Trek or the Transition looks the best and I am leaning towards the Transition. What do you think? Is there a different bike I maybe should be looking at?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Think of it like this: what's winning can't be bad!
    When looking at it like this, you're left with trek and commencal. Both should be awesome because of the epic components and both are race-proven. I would honestly have a hard time choosing between the two but I would take the commencal:newest geometry, awesome parts, replacement parts usually dirt cheap(findable on CRC). I'd go with the commencal. Hope I helped

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by temmelsadvam View Post
    Think of it like this: what's winning can't be bad!
    When looking at it like this, you're left with trek and commencal. Both should be awesome because of the epic components and both are race-proven. I would honestly have a hard time choosing between the two but I would take the commencal:newest geometry, awesome parts, replacement parts usually dirt cheap(findable on CRC). I'd go with the commencal. Hope I helped
    Yes, thank you that does help. Someone else also said what you said about the Commencal.

Can you tell me any thoughts about the 2014 Transition Tr 500? I believe it is single pivot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I unfortunately have no experience on a tr500, but I can tell you it's a link-driven single pivot system. So, that in short should mean it has a quite linear and predictable suspension travel. I don't know about the link-driven single pivots, but I've ridden a couple of simple single pivots and all of them have the usual problems: brake jack, pedal bob, small bump compliance. But, who knows, maybe they manged to fix it with those linkages. I'm a bit of a complexity fan actually(spesh's FSR system, giant's maestro...)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I unfortunately have no experience on a tr500, but I can tell you it's a link-driven single pivot system. So, that in short should mean it has a quite linear and predictable suspension travel. I don't know about the link-driven single pivots, but I've ridden a couple of simple single pivots and all of them have the usual problems: brake jack, pedal bob, small bump compliance. But, who knows, maybe they manged to fix it with those linkages. I'm a bit of a complexity fan actually(spesh's FSR system, giant's maestro...)
    Okay thank you. Yeah I have a Santa Cruz Superlight I ride a lot. Yeah I bought the Transition. He is going to deliver it to me. It is kind of nice it won't be broken down for shipping. He thinks so also ha ha. I guess he is only 4 hours away from me. I have not rode a vpp heckler yet but I would like to sometime just to see the difference. My hardtail salsa el mariachi is slightly faster than my Superlight. The Superlight is far more fun and maybe more responsive somehow. It feels more precise than the el mariachi at times when I am going down hill through tighter sections but I think it is slightly harder on me on the uphills and would not get me personal records. I enjoy jumping around with it, but it definitely has its limits. It doesn't beat me to death on rougher trails though. And I quit jumping the Salsa when I got it to preserve the Salsa, though with the steel frame and flow ex wheels it is fairly tough. The Superlight has flow ex wheels also just because i have found they stay true fairly well for me.

My Superlight is my favorite bike so far, but maybe I would not say that if I owned a heckler. I don't know. I know I like how stiff the Superlight feels sometimes on those mild dirt with rollers and jumps machine cut trails. I did some things to the Superlight. I put a chromag short stem on it with a bit of rise in it. I am 5 foot 10 and it is only 17 inches, a medium. Then I added a fairly wide deity bar with some more rise to bring the head tube up a bit. Then added a chain binder ha ha. It instantly made the bike more fun for me and more what I wanted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Well, you're definitely gonna notice the difference between a superlight or a salsa and a BIG RIG like a tr500. If you think the supelight feels stiff, wait for the tr500 and get shocked. I've once ridden a tr250 which is the tr500's little brother... and that thing is the stiffest thing I've ever seen, it absolutely holds the line where you point it at. And the tr500 should be even stiffer due to the 20mm axle upfront and all the DH burliness. You will appreciate it if you like gnarly stuff more than pedalling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, you're definitely gonna notice the difference between a superlight or a salsa and a BIG RIG like a tr500. If you think the supelight feels stiff, wait for the tr500 and get shocked. I've once ridden a tr250 which is the tr500's little brother... and that thing is the stiffest thing I've ever seen, it absolutely holds the line where you point it at. And the tr500 should be even stiffer due to the 20mm axle upfront and all the DH burliness. You will appreciate it if you like gnarly stuff more than pedalling.
    Thanks for weighing in. Yeah, I like crashing through the rocky stuff and hucking off of small drops. I have some places I want to take it as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the link-driven single pivots, but I've ridden a couple of simple single pivots and all of them have the usual problems: brake jack, pedal bob, small bump compliance.
    You're aware that the Trek and Commencal you recommended are also single pivots, right?
    As you correctly pointed out, they're winning WC-level races; you think it's possible they have those supposedly inherent problems sorted out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digdugsplickityspud View Post
    I have not rode a vpp heckler yet but I would like to sometime just to see the difference
    Hecklers are practically Superlights with a bit more travel (I have an 08 with 150 mm of travel vs 100 (?) for that year's Superlight). It is also high single pivot, not VPP so it is literally a Superlight. If you think your Superlight is stiff, be shocked when you ride the Tranny. I actually thought Santa Cruz single pivots were noodley (I broke my swingarm several times already). I do (did) love my Heckler (I ended up short shocking it and it's now my daughter's bike), it was a fun bike but not as fun as my current trail bike (Transition Bottlerocket converted for trail use). Aside from suspension-induced anomalies (brake jack, squat, etc), you can pretty much tune the "squish" behavior of your bike with shock tuning (in some cases, have an expert re-valve/shim it).

As far as DH bikes in general, they will just be different than what you're currently riding. Your hardtail and trail bike probably ride fairly close to each other. When you hop on a 200 mm bike, it will feel like a lazy tank at slow speeds, but they really shine when you open up on fast, gnarly tracks. They jump a little different too (won't be as poppy, you will need to go faster), so don't go big right away. You're gonna love the TR500... I've ridden the TR250 and it was an amazing bike. Post pics when you get yours and welcome to the darkside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which of these bikes seem the best to you?-img_9760.jpg