Is there a difference between Avid Code pads?- Mtbr.com
    Its got what plants crave

Is there a difference between Avid Code pads?

I bought some EBC pads for my Codes and they don't fawkin fit into the caliper right. The holes are drilled in the wrong damn place! I honestly have no idea what year my Codes are, but Jenson only has one part number for Avid Codes. Has anyone else had fit problems with EBC pads? I've used their compounds for years on other bikes and loved them.

Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    i've put EBC pads in my Codes no problem.

Well WTF. I even have four pairs (Cambria F'd up and billed me for too many) and they're all drilled the same. Is it possible that there was a different pad for older or newer models? Mine are the galvanized model but I don't see a date stamped on them, or even any listings online of more than one type of pad for Codes.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Code vs. Code 5's??

I dunno, I didn't see any differentiation as far as that was concerned. I definitely have the Codes, I have the pad distance adjust or whatever.

fdp for life
    code 5 and code are the same calipers. You might try swapping the pads right to left. good luck and please post if you are successful, I am considering EBC pads.

Yeah I tried swapping the pads around and seeing if it was different but it really doesn't work either way. It's starting to piss me off considering I need these brakes bled and working before Friday!

Now with More Wood
    If they f:ed up and billed you for 4 pads instead of 2, there is always the odd chance that they f:ed up some more and sent you pads for some other random brake. What the box says?

Well box boxes have stickers on them that specifically say 'Avid Code 2007+' but they could have been placed there by Cambria. Overall the pad is the right shape and size, but the metal bracket they are on is drilled incorrectly, the holes that the pistons for the caliper go in are offset to one side too far. It seems like a manufacturing issue to me, but all 4 pairs appear to be spaced exactly the same! I'm afraid to take the other two sets out of the package to try them because I have a feeling Cambria would tell me to pound sand if I try to return them in opened packaging. I think I will just redrill or wallow out the holes to fit, but it sucks to do that on a brand new part. What a pisser.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I once bought two pairs of Code pads from EBC. They didn't have any holes drilled in their backsides (or was there only one hole in the center, can't remember), so they didn't fit Code 7 calipers at all. So stay away from EBC pads unless you can be 100% sure that they fit your brake.

They totally did not fit at all, it's the same problem you had. I had to get out a drill and drill my own holes, which is a crock of ****. I will be returning the 2 remaining pads for sure, and griping about the ones that are currently on my bike. Even with drilling them out they still drag because they don't fit in completely right. What a PITA! I doubt Cambria will let me return the pads that I already opened, but I'm certainly going to complain about it.

Members who have read this thread: 0