Is there a DH BB that doesn't suck a$$?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Is there a DH BB that doesn't suck a$$?

After reading through the reviews, it doesn't seem like ANY of the DH BBs or cranksets are good at all.

IS there anything out there that's decently priced and holds up well?

I honestly had better luck with my Shimano UN BB and square taper cranks, which lasted two years of riding hard in muddy trails, before bending a crank from landing a 6 footer straight into a boulder. BB was still smooth as budda. My Truvativ DH cranks and BB didn't last more than 3 months at best. The BB was crunching after just 1 month.

Meh.
    ISIS sucked - teeny tiny bearings. Octalink held up pretty well.

Outboard bearings last if the frame is prepped and the BB/cranks are installed correctly. I like Shimano cranks the best. The spindle/arm interface doesn't wear out everytime you install/remove the arm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    ISIS sucked - teeny tiny bearings. Octalink held up pretty well.

Outboard bearings last if the frame is prepped and the BB/cranks are installed correctly. I like Shimano cranks the best. The spindle/arm interface doesn't wear out everytime you install/remove the arm.
    Are Saints or Hones a good bet? I don't go over 7 footers, so the Hones are looking tempting.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm running Shimano cranks (XT and Saint) and Shimano outboard bearings and never had a single issue; not even after 3 years of abuse.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ender
    I'm running Shimano cranks (XT and Saint) and Shimano outboard bearings and never had a single issue; not even after 3 years of abuse.
    What type of riding are the Hones for?

Are they in between Saint and XT? or is XT better.

I can get the Hones as a complete w/BB for $130 brand new, which sound like a killer deal.

Capricious youth...
    ISIS sucked?

I've been running the same BB on my 7point for over 2 years, and I do everything from 15 mile XC rides to Northstar and and Downieville runs on that bike.

Sure, the BB is toast, but it still spins like it's brand new. Just makes more noise now.
    Meh.

NICE KID...NICE

Saints and Hones Rock

Either will last you a long time...And if you break a set of the saint, The broken set of cranks will be your last worry.
    "At that point man, your just riding your bike."

Transition

Pedalshop

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie freeride
    Either will last you a long time...And if you break a set of the saint, The broken set of cranks will be your last worry.
    Cool looks like I'm going with the Hones.

I've never used the One piece Crank/Spindle types before. It is possible to adjust the chain line with them? I noticed you can buy them in crank length, but no options for width, I'm guesing one size fits all?

This is for a Reign x1.

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Dog
    Cool looks like I'm going with the Hones.

I've never used the One piece Crank/Spindle types before. It is possible to adjust the chain line with them? I noticed you can buy them in crank length, but no options for width, I'm guesing one size fits all?

This is for a Reign x1.
    They give you these snazzy little spacers to adjust the chainline slightly and it also allows it to fit both bb sizes. If you have serious problems lining things up with the supplied instructions (which are pretty good just make sure you have a park BBT-9) you can move the spacers to the other side of the bb shell to shift things around.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    hey, ive had the same UN bb on my klein mantra for 8 years! started to creek and it ended up just being that the whole thing was really loose, so i tightened it and no more creek.

anyways, i bouhgt a set of square taper cranks for my stinky im building up and will definatly be buying another shimano UN BB

Equal opportunity meanie
    I run Saints on my DH bike and Hones with the beefier spindle on my 6" bike. They are both a breeze to remove and I have never EVER had one of them loosen or had a BB fail. As someone else mentioned, the lack of a press fit does a lot for the longevity of the system. As I always say, Shimano nailed it with the brakes and cranks and kinda seemed to flop everywhere else.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ender

I went through a bottom bracket in one season...thanks to the North Shore wetness

But still will always recommend Saints
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

eci
    i have had very good success with shimano and fsa outboard bearing BB's.

I have had bad issues with fsa and truvativ isis bb's.

Perpetual Hack

Honing Up on specs

Careful on the Hones.

There are two versions, one is a three ring XC, the other is a 2 ring + Bash AM/FR. The two ring has a tougher spindle as well as steel pedal inserts.

michael

Waiting for Godot
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    Careful on the Hones.

There are two versions, one is a three ring XC, the other is a 2 ring + Bash AM/FR. The two ring has a tougher spindle as well as steel pedal inserts.

michael

what he said. also if your over 190lbs hones might be a little weak if you do big drops.

i just put some on my new dh bike. a good choice in my opinion
    Out riding, leave a message

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    . As I always say, Shimano nailed it with the brakes and cranks and kinda seemed to flop everywhere else.

i'd have to agree with this statement

mtbr member
    I haven't really yhad any luck with FSA or Truvativ outboard bearing BB's. They seem to last a few months and then they start feeling notchy. I don't have any experience on Shimano's outboard bb's for mountain bikes, but they are t!ts on the road bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Saints will do the trick.

as others stated.. if they bust.. thats the least of your worries.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    Saints will do the trick.

as others stated.. if they bust.. thats the least of your worries.
    I went with the Hones (@ $130), since I don't do any drops over 7 feet and have long-lanky legs for extra suspension.

Thanks a lot for the help guys!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Saint is the crank i think .. gravity makes good one too ... it depend on how often you crash and how big you go ... but Saint should be your best choice ..

Members who have read this thread: 0