Are there any short travel Freeride frames? Like 3-4 inches?- Mtbr.com
    bpuodt

Are there any short travel Freeride frames? Like 3-4 inches?

I was wondering if there were any short travel freeride frames out there?

My theory is that a rear suspension frame can have a shorter chain stay and closer seat tube if there is less travel, more like a hardtail.

Are there any rear suspension frames similar to a hardtail in geometry but with a little travel to take the edge off hits? If the seat is low enough, I can't imagine needing a lot of frame travel if the legs are allowed to move a lot. I see plenty of short travel frames but they are all XC. Is there one around 4 inches that has some beef to it for abusive riding?

What about a shorter than 17 inch chain stay?

Does such a frame even exist?

I would be doing 6-12 foot drops to nice tranny. I can already do most on my hardtail, but just a couple inches would sure take some of the shock out of the ankles and wrists.

Seems like people are going to larger travel, but doesn't that come at a cost of having nice geometry of short chain stays, low seats that you get off a hardtail?

mtbr member
    the santa cruz blur 4x, specialized enduro SX (not the sx trail)

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    the santa cruz blur 4x, specialized enduro SX (not the sx trail)
    transition preston fr
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    transition preston fr
    Exactly
    ETBW
    Magura

Bad Hand In Life
    KHS Witch Doctor and FR 2000, I have both. Inexpensive.

bpuodt
    transition preston fr
    Looks killer, but still a bit long in the chain stay. That may havesomething to do with it needing to fit a 2.7 tire though. I like how it has a lower seat though, that's crucial.

I don't like the fact that it has the romic though. I would prefere a progressive shock like a Swinger or 5th. That pretty mandatory for a short travel FR bike. It would be way too over sprung if I used the romic and tuned to resist hard hits.

Last edited by Robot Chicken; 06-03-2005 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    transition preston fr
    yeah, the preston is mad crazy. prolly the best short travel fr rig out as far as i know

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hollowpoint MTX http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=69976 look for the one with the Pike on it posted by snowskilz not sure what the travel is. Also check out the new PDC frame
    "~PuNkTuRe HaTs~"
    ~Chase Williams
    ~Tyler Stripp
    ~Neil Streiff

Check This For Custom Hats http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1445112#post1445112

crumb
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot Chicken
    Looks killer, but still a bit long in the chain stay. That may havesomething to do with it needing to fit a 2.7 tire though. I like how it has a lower seat though, that's crucial.

I don't like the fact that it has the romic though. I would prefere a progressive shock like a Swinger or 5th. That pretty mandatory for a short travel FR bike. It would be way too over sprung if I used the romic and tuned to resist hard hits.

nah dont worry about the shock check out the huge preson thread there are some pics of some huge drops on there and the bikes get nothing but praise
    ETBW
    Magura

bpuodt
    Check out this review of the Preston I found.

This guy says it felt hars to smaller bumps due to needing more coil for drops. He fixed thisby switching to 5 inch mode.
    http://www.hickhucksters.com/prestonreview.html
    I will seriously consider the preston. I wonder if they will sell me one without the shock, then slap in a 5th or a DHX. That would rock!

Next time I go through Seattle I have to stop off at Transition bikes and test ride one of the preston frames. I can really see the whole short travel FR bike thing getting pretty popular among people who want to get back the tight handling and response you get. How does it get any better than a bike that handles like a HT, but still has enough travel to land good sized drops?

I'm stoked.
    Last edited by Robot Chicken; 06-03-2005 at 08:12 PM.

mtbr member
    04' Turner Rail. The only place that I think that you can get one would be at beyondbikes.com. I have really been contemplating getting one since it is probaly one of the most under rated bikes out there. I would put a better shock on it definitely. Also it comes with a 1.5 head tube. I really like it since it is very a versitile bike...4"SC to 7"DC is what it could take. Check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Preston for sure!

Heckler

Kona Dawg is pretty burly

Schmeow Productions
    pretty much any mtx frame...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I hear ellsworth has a new bike out for 06 that is their 4x bike. It is supposed to have a smaller frame size and offer 4-5 inch of suspention with a fox dhx shock. check ellsworths website for info.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by rpdhracer
    I hear ellsworth has a new bike out for 06 that is their 4x bike. It is supposed to have a smaller frame size and offer 4-5 inch of suspention with a fox dhx shock. check ellsworths website for info.
    you mean the moment? or something new?

... i'll go check it out.

bonkin' clyde

Schwinn 4-banger

Badass frame with a little travel in back
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

Xtremely Moderate
    These may be of interest to you also:

https://sinisterbikes.com/splinter_mx.htm

"Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Still on Training Wheels!
    I wonder if they will sell me one without the shock, then slap in a 5th or a DHX. That would rock!
    If I'm not mistaken the Preston has a weird shock size and Romic is the only shock company that curently makes that size.

The Preston is a sweet ride and would work perfect! If you are already doing 15 foot drops on a hardtail, then its pretty obvious that your a smooth rider, so even without the proressive shock i'm sure that you'll find that you bottom less than expected. After all, you said you wanted the rear travel just for a little ankle and wrist security, so I don't think you'll be changing your style of riding any.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    If I'm not mistaken the Preston has a weird shock size and Romic is the only shock company that curently makes that size.

The Preston is a sweet ride and would work perfect! If you are already doing 15 foot drops on a hardtail, then its pretty obvious that your a smooth rider, so even without the proressive shock i'm sure that you'll find that you bottom less than expected. After all, you said you wanted the rear travel just for a little ankle and wrist security, so I don't think you'll be changing your style of riding any.
    you're mistaken. The preston takes a 6.5x1.5 shock. sure it's a less common shock, but there are still big name companies that produce them. I cant verify for sure if the DHX comes in that size, but I know for sure that the Vanilla comes in a 6.5x1.5. I would consider getting a vanilla and haivng it pushed.
    Last edited by Zonk0u; 06-04-2005 at 02:46 PM.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

mtbr member
    could an air shock fit that?

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    i want one of these :drool:
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

old school

Pretty much anything from the nineties frame and fork-wise was around 4-5 inches... I still have a '97 Rockshox Judy "DH" w/ a whopping 4" of travel

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    Pretty much anything from the nineties frame and fork-wise was around 4-5 inches... I still have a '97 Rockshox Judy "DH" w/ a whopping 4" of travel
    dude fr
    im sure u can use a 10 yo bike for a long time doin big hits
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    Go with a Preston FR
    Life is to short... get out and ride

bpuodt
    Here's another option for me. I like how this bike has a pretty short chain stay length for a dual suspension frame (17inch). On the other hand, it has WAYY too long of a seat tube. It's kinda ugly compared to the Preston though, but I do like how it has no graphix.

https://www.harveycycles.com/Pilot.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    i want one of these :drool:

I had one of these and I LOVED it.
    Trail riding, DS, Mtn-x, and some DH... it could do it all!!

SUPER short chainstays too!!

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb-
    I had one of these and I LOVED it.
    Trail riding, DS, Mtn-x, and some DH... it could do it all!!

SUPER short chainstays too!!
    Wow, it just occured to me that the pivot goes around the BB! Cool!

How the heck do you keep the frame from hitting the seat when lowered?

Who sells them? Do they have a web page? What do they go for?
    Last edited by Robot Chicken; 06-07-2005 at 04:04 PM.

mtnjam

I'm pretty sure their website is:

www.arrowracing.com

Looks like GoRide.com sells their frame. Other than that I'm not sure of other dealers

BTW, how did you find out about the small bike company you listed above, Harvey's Cycles. Have you ridden any of their frames?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The Splinter looks great!

But the Preston is cheaper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Norco 4by4

'05 has an air shock, look for the '04 if you want to go coil and maybe get a deal....

2005:

2004:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's another option for me. I like how this bike has a pretty short chain stay length for a dual suspension frame (17inch). On the other hand, it has WAYY too long of a seat tube. It's kinda ugly compared to the Preston though, but I do like how it has no graphix.

https://www.harveycycles.com/Pilot.html

It's a "Faux bar" in case you care...

mtbr member
    Not sure if it counts per say, But my requiments in buying a bike are pretty similar to your needs, I bought a Banshee Chapperal. 5-6" with coil and 4-5 with air shock.. Up around here (ME) there really isnt a need for tons of travel (or I am not going as huge as other peeps and dont need the extra travel) bike pedals great... it's about a pound maybe 2 heavier then many bikes of similar travel. That's due to beefy tubing, heavier rocker plates. Durabilty and warranty were key factors in my purchase... reviews for the bike a great (mine included). Has short chainstays as well... Mine built up 6"DC with a beefy 24" rear and DH tires comes in about 39lbs with lighter 26" and 2.35's comes in about 37/38lbs. minus the mud :P

preston defintly seems like the way to go for this niche
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

mtbr member
    May 2005

My theory is that a rear suspension frame can have a shorter chain stay and closer seat tube if there is less travel, more like a hardtail.

Are there any rear suspension frames similar to a hardtail in geometry but with a little travel to take the edge off hits? If the seat is low enough, I can't imagine needing a lot of frame travel if the legs are allowed to move a lot. I see plenty of short travel frames but they are all XC. Is there one around 4 inches that has some beef to it for abusive riding?

What about a shorter than 17 inch chain stay?

Does such a frame even exist?

I would be doing 6-12 foot drops to nice tranny. I can already do most on my hardtail, but just a couple inches would sure take some of the shock out of the ankles and wrists.

Seems like people are going to larger travel, but doesn't that come at a cost of having nice geometry of short chain stays, low seats that you get off a hardtail?
    Just make the full transition to free ride and get your self a VP Free! Because they are the **** and you can pedal them. Plus you don't have to worry about brake jack!

650 yay area
    Quote Originally Posted by PCancik
    Just make the full transition to free ride and get your self a VP Free! Because they are the **** and you can pedal them. Plus you don't have to worry about brake jack!
    lolz @ u

mtnjam

linkage question

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    It's a "Faux bar" in case you care...
    I'm a JONG on suspension linkages:

what do you mean Faux bar?

so is something like a Moment or ID Faux bar too?

how about the Dirtbag/Preston's linkage, are those a true 4 bar linkage?

sorry 'bout all the questions, but I would like to learn more about linkages

I presently have a Switchblade that I'm pretty sure is a Horst link.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by PCancik
    YEah I'll just dump $3500 I don't have on something I don't want. LolZ @ U!

I'm sure it would be great to fly like superman off every huge huck I see, but that's not my style. I'm already going pretty big on my hardtail, so ANY rear suspension is going to really let me open up the whole can O worms.

Most of the frames mentioned here are Faux-bar. I think the main reason people prefere faux over four bar is because faux bars are inherently much stiffer and more durable for the weight. PLus coming from a hardtail, I don't think brake jack or any of that crap is going to have any ill effects on my riding. I actually WANT to have it ride like a hardtail and only give me some suspension travel on larger drops and drops onto crappy landings (thats where a Hardtail really delivers the punishment!!!!). I could do 25 foot drops on a hardtail if the landing was at a pefect angle and smooooth.... ohh and if I had any balls at all!

The thing is when I'm doing "REAL FREERIDING" where you jump off NATURAL drops where the landing is usually scetchy at best. You never know if theres going to be a log, fern, or rocks under you on the landing. I can take it on a hardtail, but it sure beats the snotty pooop out of me.

There's also the handling characteristics you get from a short travel frame that you just can't get from longer travel frames. IMO a FR hardtail has the perfect geometry and anything else that has tons of travel will naturally lose that hardtail geometry of:

Short chain stay
    tilted back seat tube (slack)
    short seat tube
    short wheel base
    lower BB

i should be working
    i just fake freeride, but it seems to me like you havent spent much time on any decent 7+" bikes. they dont handle like poo, and if you keep the weight down and the chainstays short you'll end up loving it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

The seat tube is only 13in, so you never have to gt it THAT low.
    Just show 1in of seat tube, and your fine.
    The problem I had was the links riubbing on my seatpost QR.
    A filed down Salsa worked great though.

bpuodt
    Yeah, you got me there. I've never really ridden a 7x7. I know plenty of people who ride like that, but I feel unconfortable riding a different person's bike, it always makes me crash and then my bike feels wierd getting back on it.

I don't think I will be going much bigger than homeboy here. He's obviously proven that tons of travel isn't needed to go pretty big. I know plenty of 7x7 guys out there who would never ride this drop! He rides the preston in 4 inch mode.
    Last edited by Robot Chicken; 06-10-2005 at 11:31 AM.

bpuodt
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb-
    The seat tube is only 13in, so you never have to gt it THAT low.
    Just show 1in of seat tube, and your fine.
    The problem I had was the links riubbing on my seatpost QR.
    A filed down Salsa worked great though.
    I would seriously consider that frame, but it might be TOO short. I would have to climb with it. Unless I can find a 600mm seat post I don't think it would work. On the other hand, it has an insanely short chain stay and would probably ride like a Freakin dream going DH.

bpuodt

Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL

Uhh oh! I just found a frame that could be my choice over the preston! This is one killer looking bike! $949! (@ Adrenalinebikes.com, they are selling it with DHX not swinger).

It's exactly what I want. I liked the Preston FR, but the choice of only having a Romic on there wasn't good. I think I will HAVE to give this frame a try! It's pretty bad ass! PLus it has a short top tube, which I really like!

4-5-6 travel : Fox DHX 5.0
    https://www.versuscycles.com/products/blitz/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would seriously consider that frame, but it might be TOO short. I would have to climb with it. Unless I can find a 600mm seat post I don't think it would work. On the other hand, it has an insanely short chain stay and would probably ride like a Freakin dream going DH.

I'm about 6ft and the LONG version of a Thompson gave me full leg extension.

Oh, and Yes, it was a dream to go down on....
    Wait, that didn't sound too god, huh?

The rear was STIFF too b/c of the massive BB pivot bearings (around the BB)
    Stiffest I've felt for no through axle. It could fit up to a 2.3 on 26in tires, and up to a 3.0 24in. I usually ran a 2.4 Arrow Skinwall.
    When I had it in dual 24in mode, it felt like a BMX bike almost.