That's IT!- Mtbr.com

Thread: That's IT!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

That's IT!

Next XC race comes up I'm going to enter with my DH rig and make a statement and I'm going to take up so much room. I can't stad XC stuck up snobs mentality. I'm gona be so friendly to them its going to make them feel all wierd and funny inside. Has anyone done this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_winner1
    Next XC race comes up I'm going to enter with my DH rig and make a statement and I'm going to take up so much room. I can't stad XC stuck up snobs mentality. I'm gona be so friendly to them its going to make them feel all wierd and funny inside. Has anyone done this?
    That would be so funny. I've never done that but the other day I was riding up the street on the way to my friends house and a roadie passed me up so I put it in my tallest gear and started peddaling my a$$ off, I passed him back up and started jumping on and off the curb and doing little gaps in between peoples yards and just looking over at him and smiling until my legs were so tired I almost ate ****.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    if you think they are snobs now, wait untill they hear about your plan
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    XC, what's that?

Why waste the day hanging out with "uphillers". Go do some shuttle runs with your buds and enjoy the day. Laugh about those dorks in tights, seats stuck a mile up their ass with their heart monitors and spindly road bikes with knobbies. Most of them learned how to ride on road bikes and are afraid of one foot drops. I know a bunch of 'em who would rather die than than do a downhill they didn't climb first.
    I learned how to ride from motocross dirt bikes and BMX bikes. I think shoes with cleats are for football and baseball. I ride for fun, excitement and to push my skills to the next level.
    I hear those xc races are really long and they make you ride up the hill.
    Have fun.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    I ride for fun, excitement and to push my skills to the next level.
    That's what it's all about. I ride for fun, excitement and to push my skills to the next level too. Going both uphill and downhill.

Have fun,
    Monte

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    That's what it's all about. I ride for fun, excitement and to push my skills to the next level too. Going both uphill and downhill.

Have fun,
    Monte
    For me it's no fun, no excitement, and takes little skill to ride up a hill.

mtbr member
    May not take much 'skill' but it certainly takes lots of hardwork to get into good biking shape and such. If for nothing else it'll keep you in shape for the pedally sections in the DH races
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i have...my mates and i did it at a state school XC race (so much licra and 2" travel bikes...it was hard to take in...the whole way home all i thought about was boobies proving to my self after being exposed to so many gay c*nts i didnt catch anything)...we walked our bikes up the hills and then bomed down the hills...i must admit i never been given so many greezies in my life...we wernt disqualified or anything...just shuned apon...we actually beat some ppl to which was the sad thing...

too much effort tho...pushing a bike around all day...occasionally getting to ride it down some crappy single track...but hungry jacks was good afterwards...putting back on all those pounds we had burned off...

good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

Do it!!!

I raced XC for like 4 years. I noticed that even though I trained hard, these dudes who were rediculously skinny would fly by me. The only time I could get them back was on the downhill sections. So I did the unimaginable. I put a 5" coil/oil Zoki fork on my XC bike. You would have thought it was a Monster T from the looks I got! You know how many times you've heard "Where's the motor"? Well that's how many times I heard "Are you racing with THAT???!" I enjoyed XC for the physical challenge, but DAMN are those guys stuck in the 'how many grams is it?' world. I thought racing was for fun? I've been waiting for someone to race a FR/DH rig and podium. I swear I would use the picture as a wallpaper! Do it, and if you podium post the picture! Sorry this is long, I'm drinking.

mtbr member
    I have a race this weekend im doing on my DH rig with 2 other guys...cept they are racing XC. They think its funny as hell, and im cuttin my hair into a mullet just for it. God, this is gunna be one good time...

mtbr member
    [B] CUT THE MULLET!!!!!

p.s Hey get pics!!!

Removed at birth
    Bunch of whiney *****es! I'll bet a great percentage of us ride road, XC, and DH. There are some great benefits to being strong in all disciplines of cycling. Shut up, and enjoy the ride. Only insecure young punks worry about what others think of them, and care enough to criticize other aspects of cycling, because of the looks or comments they have gotten in the past.
    Peace out! War In!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Weyvoless
    Bunch of whiney *****es! I'll bet a great percentage of us ride road, XC, and DH. There are some great benefits to being strong in all disciplines of cycling. Shut up, and enjoy the ride. Only insecure young punks worry about what others think of them, and care enough to criticize other aspects of cycling, because of the looks or comments they have gotten in the past.
    Damn you really don't have fun do you. You must have been one of those kids who allways did what he was told. Don't you ever have any fun in life? Going into a XC race with a DH rig is something to be commended. I could care less on what the XC guys think, that's why I'm going to do it. Wierd. yes stupid no.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I don't know where you guys all ride that you meet these jack-ass xc riders. Maybe it's just the people in my area, but the vast majority of people I see are totally chill, whether they be xc or freeriders or whatever. I did a number of xc races a few years back (before I got too lazy to climb anymore) on my P.O.S rockhopper ht, and always had a blast...everyone was super-friendly. Even now that I don't do that stuff anmore, the xc-ers I pass/get passed by on the trails are normally very courteous, I've been helped out if I break something, etc.

I'm not saying your wrong or anything like that, I can't stand "holier-than-thou" types either. It's just weird that your experiences are so different from mine, maybe it's the locale? Having said all that, I will laugh my ass off if you podium (or even get close) on a DH rig. Give'r!

Shibby

mtbr member
    You know, if you got some SPV action in the front and rear, you may actually stand a chance with the lack of bob
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

Removed at birth
    Read my post again Max. You'll see I wasn't critisizing the fact that you wanted to ride your DH bike in an XC race. It was directed at the infantile comments about XC and roadie riders. I applaud you for racing your DH bike. In fact my do all trail bike is 7 in the front and 7 in the back. Reread the responses to your original post, and you'll see who I was targeting. Now if you really want to make a statement, wear a full face helmet, with a speedo to the race.
    Peace out! War In!

We get titles?

What's with all the hate?

What's with all the hate toward XC guys? And what's wrong with lycra? Its the right tool for the right job.

Yeah, I think it would be funny to see a guy racing a DH rig at an XC race, as long as his motivation was to have fun. If his motivation was to 'stick it' to "those dorks in tights, seats stuck a mile up their ass", then that's just sad. I'd suggest some sort of therapy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Aw come on guys, XC racers aren't that bad, you're letting a few bad apples ruin the bunch. Speaking from personal experience, there are few things as gratifying as winning an expert XC race. You're so tired and blown out, and you know that all the pain you've put yourself through for the past year or more has finally paid off. Not to take anything away from winning a DH race, but it's a different sensation, as soon as you come across the line you know there's nobody is going to upset you and you deserve it.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

We get titles?

I'll go one better

Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    Aw come on guys, XC racers aren't that bad, you're letting a few bad apples ruin the bunch. Speaking from personal experience, there are few things as gratifying as winning an expert XC race. You're so tired and blown out, and you know that all the pain you've put yourself through for the past year or more has finally paid off. Not to take anything away from winning a DH race, but it's a different sensation, as soon as you come across the line you know there's nobody is going to upset you and you deserve it.
    I'll go one better (or weaker). I'll tell you there's few things more gratifying than FINISHING an XC race. I've only done beginner races, and I never won, but after you pedal your ass off for 12 miles in 90 degree heat, it feels real good to stop.

mtbr member

dude i can't remember where i saw the pic right now

but there was a 24 hour post that had pics of a guy who ran the whole race on a elsworth dare w/ huge fork and all ...and did pretty well i think it was like 6th in his class or something i can't find the thread now sorry ...

just think, if you beat most of them get a light bike and podium next time ...
    ______
    "thirty spokes converge upon a wheel but it is the hole in the center that enables it to be used"

DOH!
    Speaking of doing XC on a DH rig, there's a local in Moab that annually rides the 24 Hours on his Super8 with a Monster, flat pedals, and Tevas. Last year he completed something like 10 laps, at approx. 13 miles and roughly 1400ft of climbing per lap! Talk about fit!

I raced XC a couple of years before switching to DH; even won the 30-39 Sport title one year. It was fun (kinda), but I like going downhill a lot better. Still ride plenty of trails for fun to keep the fitness level acceptable, but I do so on a burly hardtail with an old Boxxer on the front. Tons of fun (going up - albeit kinda slowly - and down!), and I can drop and jump things without worrying about bike breakage, if the opportunity presents itself. ...Most XC'ers are an alright bunch, though of course you'll find an arsehole here and there, just like you will in the DH crowd. People are people, regardless what - or if - they're riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    ...Most XC'ers are an alright bunch, though of course you'll find an arsehole here and there, just like you will in the DH crowd. People are people, regardless what - or if - they're riding.

yep ...it's allways the arsewholes who stick out because they are usually the most vocal ...the nice folks don't usually say any thing because they are thinking about the event or just don't have anything to day ...i know i can be pretty quiet in person ...but it ain't stuck up just don't know you and don't have much to say ...hell i had a flat on the road the other day and a roadie on a very expensive kestrel stopped to help ...nice guy too ...most cyclist are cool it's just that the buttheads stick out more ...
    ______
    "thirty spokes converge upon a wheel but it is the hole in the center that enables it to be used"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Talking about riding the wrong bike in a race.

I raced my 32 pound FSR in an 18 mile road race. I don't know the total elevation change but it had two good hills. Funny thing was, I passed a few guys up the hill and a lot more down the hill. It was raining so the road was wet so as I smoked down the hill full tuck, I passed a lot of guys with the little skinny tires riding the brakes. Yea, I was no competition for the leaders, but it was fun passing all of the other people. I even got first in the Heavy but Healthy Group.

poser Administrator

re: dh bikes in the Xc world…

Here in arizona we, when actually presented with a good course, need to ride big hit bikes. I ran a Turner with a ZI on it for years and placed and podiumed many times (including wins) against guys on lighter xc bikes. The key to riding a big hit bike or dh bike competitively is to replace the ol' DH rubber with a larger volume light casing freeride or "trail bike" tread…such as geax blades or sedonas in the 2.25 size. The other trick is to trade in the ol' dh rims for something a little lighter if you use super burly hoops. You should get a slim saddle if you use one o' those über-dh saddles. This will be a little less maschocistic on the ol' twig and berries, and finally get a set of spandex short swith a good chamois to wear under your baggies so that you don not wear your naughty bits off.

For all you shuttle-only,. uphill-is-for-faggots, idiots out there get some exercise, park your pre-runner, put down that bottle of MGD, put out that THC, get on your bike and ride some hills. You may find that it actually makes you a better descender because by ascending you actually have to use skill to pick your line which may just help you descend the trail later by allowing you to actually see the trail from a different point of view thus allowing you to pick a better line and not just follow the trail down based on a ,maybe, when you prewalked the course. or I could be wrong.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I did a race with my morphine when i had a boxxer on it. It was just for fun to see if i could stand a chance. I was actually holding my own quite well in the front 1/4 of the pack and then my dh tire w/ nokian dh tube with like 50psi flatted, you better believe i was pissed even tho it was just for fun, it was a pretty big bummer i flatted my dh tire before some kid flatted his 1.9 paper mache tire

Card Carrying Member
    Interesting. Just recently (as in earlier today) I was thinking about entering an upcoming race and riding my rigid SS in it. Not for the reasons you listed, but just for fun. I'd be willing to bet we get about the same responses though. Maybe even break out some lycra W/O baggies over them or just wear some lycra bibs with no shirt. I would of course be wearing armor and a full face though, gotta be protected. I'd obviously change my gearing too.

Oh, and don't paint with such a big brush, it makes YOU look 'stuck up'. A lot of "XC" guys are also ppl who enjoy DH/FR and all other aspects of cycling. Most good DHers know that riding up helps them to be faster down. Maybe you've only encountered negativity in the 'XC' world and I could understand that, but it takes a better person to see that everyone's not like that.

Sin
    Redneck Rider

Yep Yep

I agree I ride XC for cross training because last year keystone kicked my ass on the flat sections of the downhill course. And if you ride Keystone you know what im talking about. A lot of traversing. Oh yeah I dont wear lycra the only ppl that should wear lycra are chicks with a real nice ass LOL
    Got Beer?

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin
    Oh yeah I dont wear lycra the only ppl that should wear lycra are chicks with a real nice ass LOL
    I'm not afraid to wear it... under baggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get a clue

Damn, some of you guys just don't get it. Before there was dh, freeride, jibbing, or whatever, there was this thing called "mountain biking." You pedaled up if you wanted to go down, and everyone with knobbies was a bro and part of the same tribe.

Even though that was only about 20 years ago, I guess most of you are too young to remember.

It's probably the main reason mountain bikers are losing access battles across the country: We're too busy making fun of each other to come together on the issues that really matter.

Get a clue: It's not about people who ride one way v. people who ride another way.

It's about people who ride v. people who don't and want to keep us all off the trails.

How about entering a dh race on a full rigid xc bike dressed in full lycra? Think that's lame? Tell that to Johnny T (if you even know who that is), and watch him *****-slap you upside the head. Without the pioneers you wouldn't have a sport at all.

Be an equal opportunity rider, an ambassador for mountain bikes - all kinds. Otherwise you're a closed-minded hypocrit destined to lose your right to ride in public space.

Ok, rant over, I'm down from my high horse, not directed at anyone in particular..think I need to go ride...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah I was hopping when this thread would die. hehe cool thoughs on every ones behalf.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper
    How about entering a dh race on a full rigid xc bike dressed in full lycra? Think that's lame? Tell that to Johnny T (if you even know who that is), and watch him *****-slap you upside the head. Without the pioneers you wouldn't have a sport at all.
    Was this post directed at me? If it was.. maybe you missed the seriousness of my post. I really DO ride fully rigid and a lot of the time, on more tech stuff than the local DH courses offer. My post/idea was more to make ppl see where we've come from, much like yours. Maybe you just replied to my post because it was at the bottom. ??? In any case, for the most part, I ride up to go down, but I'm not opposed to some freebies now and then.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits

I'll have to agree with Weyvoless, Shibby, and OG...

This XC vs. DH vs. FR vs. ?? crap has got to end. Seriously, we either hang together or we are going to lose the right to ride anywhere. There are a$$holes in every category of riding. If you really want to get at those guys, just ignore them--there's nothing they hate worse.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're out in the dirt minding your own business and having a good time on your bike, I don't care whether you're going down or up, and I don't care what you're riding, you're a peer of mine and I'm going to treat you with respect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDigger
    This XC vs. DH vs. FR vs. ?? crap has got to end. Seriously, we either hang together or we are going to lose the right to ride anywhere. There are a$$holes in every category of riding. If you really want to get at those guys, just ignore them--there's nothing they hate worse.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're out in the dirt minding your own business and having a good time on your bike, I don't care whether you're going down or up, and I don't care what you're riding, you're a peer of mine and I'm going to treat you with respect.
    well said. I've met just as many ******** dh'ers as I have xc'ers. Them being jerks have nothing to do with mountain biking though, those are the same *******s who would cut you off in traffic, and let their dog sh!t on your lawn.

Members who have read this thread: 0