TCS, UST, Comp or Race tire? Enduro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

TCS, UST, Comp or Race tire? Enduro

I have a 2008 Specialized Enduro, built it up over the winter, going to primarily a FR/DH bike getting chairlifted, maybe a few miles of pedaling here and there. I have 2.4 Trail Kings on now and they're really good in loose and rocky areas but the parks I ride are smoother and harder so I feel like these don't roll as fast as I like and that I could use a more lightweight tire with less rolling resistance and maybe closer spaced nobs.

Feel free to shoot your tire prefs but my main question is what the different tire types are? I know UST is Universal... and TCS is tubeless... but what are Comp and Race tires exactly? I googled it and did a search here but no clear answer. I assume tubes are more so used with comp and race tires? My TKs use tubes, not sure if I can go tubeless with them or if I should, I would like lower pressure since I get pinch flats a lot. My wheels are WTB speedisc AMs. Tubes are super easy to replace and I get them for almost free so that's another reason I haven't gone tubeless, so if you had my rig, with this style riding, would you go tubeless?

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Generally "Comp" is the term applied to the "lower-end" product. It's generally heavier with a slower-wearing rubber compound. Often times they'll have a bit thicker sidewalls and such. The "Race" tires are generally a softer compound for more grip and have thinner rubber casings with a higher TPI. They're much lighter, but not as strong or long lasting.

"TCS" is an acronym for "Tubeless Compatible System" made up by WTB. Other companies call it "TNT" (Tube/noTube) "Sealant Ready", etc. It means the tire can, supposedly, work equally well with or without tubes. For tubeless setup they need sealant such as Stans or Caffelatex though. Basically they just have a beefed-up bead and a stronger sidewall, where as a UST tire has a UST bead and is sealed completely for air tightness on the inside with a much stronger sidewall.

Hope this helps!
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So a UST tire is pretty much made for tubeless as where a TCS is setup for either or? The bead and sidewall are important to me as I have ruined many tires from hard riding and I want something with a more durable sidewall and possibly a kevlar bead. Any suggestions on a good TCS tire with a kevlar bead? Thanks for clarifying comp and race tires, I think I might try some race tires from WTB, I get big discount from them so some of their race tires are like 13 bux.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    UST tires can be run with tubes too.

The difference between TCS (or other tubeless ready system) and UST is that, when UST tires are used with UST wheels, you do not need any thing else to seal up the system as the tires and wheels are airtight (although I would still recommend using sealant as it will protect you from any punctures).

However with other tubeless ready systems, you may need a special rim strip to seal up the inside of the wheel and sealant will be required as the tires are not air tight.

Members who have read this thread: 0