which tank should i pick......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

which tank should i pick......

got a choice between two tanks........

04 iron horse sgs pro w/ some spares (boxxer on the bike and another boxxer that i guess was the stock set of forks- both need new seals/rebuilt i guess) , rear shocks (5th element) thats blown and a brand new rear shock thats hes sending along (from santa cruz?).... coming from canada so i cant see it/ride it before i buy it but its a dam good deal even with shipping (dude seems to be being straight up with me about it).....

or

06 BIG HIT FSR I - that looks brand freakin new, 100% stock from what i can see. guy claims his dad bought it for him as a grad gift and hes just never rode it..... plus he will meet me half way and i can check it out before handing the cash over. its more money but seems/looks/feels like the better deal of the two....

let me know what ya think.... oh and which one would pedal better of the two...ya ya i know they are DH bikes and not meant to pedal but its gonna be part of my riding it so...
    thanks
    Last edited by qkenuf4u; 11-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    The big hit is 2 years newer, forks/shocks (supposedly) dont need rebuilding and you get to check it out first. For me it would not even be a question, I would go with the big hit, you might spend a little more money but you can check it out first and always walk, that might save you some headaches in the long run...

mtbr member
    i'm with spazzy on this one...plus Iron Horse is out of business so if you happen to need anything it would be difficult to find. go with the big hit.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    How good is the SGS by the way? I have tried a Big Hit before and it was like meh (the shock was set too stiff and the fork's rebound is not working very well) I crashed and ended up dislocating my left ring finger in a crazy angle...

Solid bike though.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ive read mostly good things in the reviews about both... did ya crash from a bad suspension or rider error ??

Living the High Life
    Change that fork out on the Big Hit and you'll have a pretty good bike. That's a Big Hit 3 isn't it? Keystone used to rent those, they have a Marz Drop Off 55 or something like that. Its a 5.5" fork matched to a 7" frame that was designed to have a 7" fork on it.

And I'd buy that Big Hit way before that old Iron Horse.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Change that fork out on the Big Hit and you'll have a pretty good bike. That's a Big Hit 3 isn't it? Keystone used to rent those, they have a Marz Drop Off 55 or something like that. Its a 5.5" fork matched to a 7" frame that was designed to have a 7" fork on it.

And I'd buy that Big Hit way before that old Iron Horse.
    actually its a 06 BIG HIT FSR I from what ive found on the web and looking at the other pics he sent me.... like i said it looks to be 100% STOCK/FACTORY.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i hope you wouldn't pay more than 800 for that big hit. i'd try and talk him down to 700 and then spend some money on replacing parts. it's a good bike to start with. it's better to have a newer functioning bike than an old beater that upgrading it doesn't really solve anything

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    actually its a 06 BIG HIT FSR I from what ive found on the web and looking at the other pics he sent me.... like i said it looks to be 100% STOCK/FACTORY.....
    I'd say get the Big Hit and ride it as is for a while. Then upgrade the fork. The rest (brakes, wheels, drive train) will work fine, ride em' until you brake em'.

So many people say you need this super nice blah blah blah. I wouldn't bother running any of that expensive crap except that I race DH. But I've seen guys faster than me on POS bikes. Skill>>cool bike.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    i hope you wouldn't pay more than 800 for that big hit.

lol hmmm kinda funny ya say that cause thats exactly what we came to an agreement on..... to much $$ ?

Takin'er easy
    Don't buy the IH!

Personally, I don't think the Spec is worth the $800 either, since you will most likely put that much (or more) into the bike in the first year just keeping it running. But if up-front cost is your main concern, go with the spec.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesaregood
    Don't buy the IH!

Personally, I don't think the Spec is worth the $800 either, since you will most likely put that much (or more) into the bike in the first year just keeping it running. But if up-front cost is your main concern, go with the spec.
    do you say that cause DH beats the bikes up that bad or cause these things fall apart that easy ? i personally wont be doing DH on it so it wont get beat that way..... its gonna be more of a play bike (powerlines, street riding)
    i know its prob. the wrong choice..........

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    do you say that cause DH beats the bikes up that bad or cause these things fall apart that easy ? i personally wont be doing DH on it so it wont get beat that way..... its gonna be more of a play bike (powerlines, street riding)
    i know its prob. the wrong choice..........
    If it really is in near new condition I think $800 is on the high end I'd pay but it still seems reasonable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    If it really is in near new condition I think $800 is on the high end I'd pay but it still seems reasonable.
    like i said i havent seen it in person but looking at the pics its looks very very clean like its really never been used much if at all.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    it does look in good condition, that was my reasoning for saying 800...like, i just picked up an 06 sunday with dhx 5.0, boxxer team for 800 that was def used...but i've already pulled it all apart, swapped brakes that were broken, and had it powdercoated. i'm in it 1200 and it's like dialed.

you can find good dh bikes that just need some dialing for cheap. it's just a tradeoff you have to figure out whether to choose.

i actually bought that same bike 2 years ago for 900 that was used a bit more, but an 05 shiver, dhx 5.0, juicy 5's, and a new chainguide and was into it just under 1500. it was sick. maybe call the guy back and try to get it for 700...

Glad to Be Alive
    I'd buy the big hit and for 800 I think it is a good deal....I would put a better shock on it then that vanilla
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

I gotta pee
    put a totem on that big hit and you'll love it

Meh.
    Bighit.

I already told you why the IH is a bad choice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Bighit.

I already told you why the IH is a bad choice.
    LOL YEP YOU SURE DID......ive passed on the IH SGS... just have to make up my mind if i really want to spend the $$ on the BIG HIT (hmmmm bills/cash in pocket or bicycle )
    Last edited by qkenuf4u; 11-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    LOL YEP YOU SURE DID......ive passed on the IG SGS... just have to make up my mind if i really want to spend the $$ on the BIG HIT (hmmmm bills/cash in pocket or bicycle )
    Bike.
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

Urban Ninja
    I have a big hit with all the necessary upgrades (888 fork, Easton bars new shock) that I'd sell to you for $1,500 bucks. Lemme know.

Veteran
    Specialized for sure, for that much money you've got to see it in person. Plus, if it was really a grad gift he never rode, then it should be in excellent shape. Also, shouldn't be any maintenance required to get it running properly.

Members who have read this thread: 0