Talk me out of buying a hardtail!- Mtbr.com
    Thats not a picture of me

Talk me out of buying a hardtail!

well well welly well well it seems i have actually allowed the thought of owning a hardtail to enter my brain, and cant seem to shake it. Im in desperate need of a new frame and was going to buy a 4by when i noticed that no one was selling new 2005 frames any more for some reason and the only one i found was a small. Im very particular with what kind of bike frame i want so im not about to buy an 06 or an 04 4by i had my heart set on an 05. So now im considering going with a .243 freeride hardtail frame. They look pretty good and they are all chromoly and they don't cost all that much plus i have never heard of someone braking one. Im considering a hardtail because im guessing it will be alot more skate park and street friendly im just worried about how it will handle drops. The alternative is a 2003 or 2004 norco drop/atomik/aline-anything that has the monocoque structure with the headtube to bottom bracket support bar (once again i love how these frames look and they don't perform all that bad either)
    why don't you save me some trouble and kick your own ass?

Glad to Be Alive
    don't buy a hardtail
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

thanks, ok consider this thread ended

StraightOuttaCompton
    Do Not Buy A Hardtail, If You Do, You Will Sell It For A Full Suspension Immediatley
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

dirt rules
    It's a horrible idea, your bike handling skills would improve almost immediately, and you would learn to be much smoother and have way too much fun riding it.

Turkey Vulture N Training
    if you dont have a full suspension dont buy a hard tail, if you have a full suspension buy a hard tail
    Rolling Down Trails.... Slowly
    06 Iron Horse Yakuza
    06 Kona Stuff
    www.pedalshop.com

Impossible Is Nothing
    Aug 2007
    what bike have you got right now?

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Don't buy a bike. Get a car.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    Do Not Buy A Hardtail, If You Do, You Will Sell It For A Full Suspension Immediatley
    Really? That odd because i bought my hardtail about 4 years ago and haven't bought a fully, this is because I like my hardtail.

But one day I will invest in a fully.
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

StraightOuttaCompton
    i know i was just messin around, i am actually thinking of getting a Vagrant, with some 66s

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    It's a horrible idea, your bike handling skills would improve almost immediately, and you would learn to be much smoother and have way too much fun riding it.
    WORD!

I went back to a hardtail (Chameleon) about a month ago after a few years on different full sus. rigs, I am having so much fun actually having to RIDE the bike again. Point and shoot is cool, but it won't make you a better rider. People buy full sus. rigs and say "wow, it made me a better rider"......... WRONG: it only masks your deficiencies. Hard tails are HARD CORE! Get er done.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    i know i was just messin around, i am actually thinking of getting a Vagrant, with some 66s
    can a vagrant take more than 1 fork??

I WANTS ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    In our area, me and my friend Chris will smoke the majority of people down the trails even on our HT's. We have duallys, me, a King Fisher, and Chris, a Bottlerocket. When we ride them, we're outta sight. We rock the HT's more, they're more fun, which is open to interpretation, but they certainly will train you to FLOW!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Get a steel hardtail.

The only reason to consider aluminum is to save weight. Steel is SOOO much more comfortable in the bumps. 1/2 pound weight savings doesn't come close to making up for the (IMO) superior ride of a steel frame.

I was riding a Heckler and I built up an AM hardtail. I love the Heckler but I have more fun on the hardtail and I ride it more often. For me the fun is getting close to "the edge" and "the edge" comes way sooner and more often on my hardtail.

you won't regret it.

Meh.
    A good steel tubeset is not necessarily heavier than aluminum.

Pivotal figure

not necessarily heavier

Usually more expensive though.. A light hardtail just feels too weird to me , always seems like I bounce off stuff.

weight is no issue im just as happy with a 7 pound frame as i am with a 20 pound one (if they actually existed) im just more worried about how a drop will feel on a hardtail vs. a fully, and since i only have enough cash for one frame for now if it would really be wise to get a .243 over the atomik/drop. Next year if i go fully, im going to buy a .243 or a norco 250 later on anyways for street riding and flat landings (if i have enough left over after i get a road bike) hardtails seem so much more fun and easy to bunny hop and maneuver but also look more painful for a hack like me.

mtbr member
    Well first forget the notion of drops to flat on a hardtail, you get a very select number of those before things...break. They're bad for any bike, but HT's make it worse.

From what I've experienced, you can ride a HT almost anywhere you can ride a fully, albeit sometimes at a reduced speed or with a different line. Obviously hard tails climb and pedal much better, but you have to look at your terrain as a whole. And if you have to climb to get to the top of your runs then all the more reason to look into the HT.

well i just figured since i seen bmxers goin large to flat all the time that a chromoly hardtail would be able to do the same thing.

Pivotal figure
    You can do it but it won't be much fun. I've done close to 8 ft to flat on my Steelhead (by accident) and while I rode away OK I know I took about a year off that frame. Not to mention shoving the seat into places it was never meant to go.

mtbr member

its not the bike its the rider

Quote Originally Posted by potvinwannab
    well i just figured since i seen bmxers goin large to flat all the time that a chromoly hardtail would be able to do the same thing.

ya but will YOU be able to go big on to flat

I AM I AM
    Just buy a hardtail, the duallies won't be disappearing from the market any time soon

mtbr member
    just get both an quit yer *****in'

StraightOuttaCompton
    ya transitons can take any fork up to 8 inches, which is prety much anything

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Buy he hard tail use and enjoy it if you dont like it sell it

im sure you will like it
    Hucks to Fackie

i dont know the only reason im considering a hardtail is because most of the street riding around here consists of 5-10 foot to flat landings which im too scared to do on my aluminum fully, landing to flat isnt like anything else i dont think there is much skill involved with it except for the pain thresh hold

i know i will like it but i think it mat take away from the experience since im not very smooth. Once again the hardtail i am considering is a .243 racing fr frame, and the reason im not getting both a dually and a hardtail is because im desperately poor (well im 14 anyways)

mtbr member
    my suggestion, zumbi voodoo from poland, Im riding it in DH. thats my previous bike:

...wanna buy a frame?
    cheers

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    Well first forget the notion of drops to flat on a hardtail, you get a very select number of those before things...break. They're bad for any bike, but HT's make it worse.

From what I've experienced, you can ride a HT almost anywhere you can ride a fully, albeit sometimes at a reduced speed or with a different line. Obviously hard tails climb and pedal much better, but you have to look at your terrain as a whole. And if you have to climb to get to the top of your runs then all the more reason to look into the HT.
    You're crazy, trials riders do it all the time on HT's, on black top or cement, no less. 6 foot to flat is nothing, anything over that on the trails, is an improperly designed trail obstacle. I go just as big on my HT as my FS, don't get me wrong a dually will help prevent taint damage, but dropping on a HT is not a prob if you know what you're doing and execute proper technique.

I AM I AM
    I play around on much smaller jumps than you're talking about (probably less than 2ft to flat) and I've found not much difference in the landing harshness on the Alias (HT) compared to the trance. I tend to ground the back wheel before the front so the fork (130mm) travel seems to take the brunt of it anyway. Not much difference between the two bikes in that case, although I dare say when it gets to XC type rides on rough trails I'd be wishing for the rear end cush agian

I am not really speaking from experience, but if you're not a smooth rider than at least on a HT you are more likely to learn how to ride more smoothy as you don't have a choice of letting the suspension do it for you.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    You're crazy, trials riders do it all the time on HT's, on black top or cement, no less. 6 foot to flat is nothing, anything over that on the trails, is an improperly designed trail obstacle. I go just as big on my HT as my FS, don't get me wrong a dually will help prevent taint damage, but dropping on a HT is not a prob if you know what you're doing and execute proper technique.
    potvinwannab already said that he is a hack - not a trials rider. See the end of post 17.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    I know I'm crazy, I have a trials!

But as I said: "you can ride a HT almost anywhere you can ride a fully, albeit sometimes at a reduced speed".

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Get a hardtail. Especially since you are so young and your body can handle a beating. So what if you are a hack? Riding a hardtail isn't going to "take away from the experience" It will make you a better/smoother rider. 10 foot drops to flat sound a little blown out of proportion to me anyway. You should be fine on a hardtail. Besides, unless you are some kind of prodigy, no 14 year old needs a super high end fully. Get a decent hardtail and have fun.

I rode a hardtail for over 5 years until I finally built up a Coiler 3 months ago. I loved riding my hardtails over the years and really think they made me a better rider. To me this is a no-brainer.

banned
    Apr 2007
    ya dude, get a hardtail, as it will make you much smoother on trails and jumps, and will make you better at stuff like bunny hops and manualing. Then, when you have enough money get a nice fully.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i ride a brodie miscreant on the street i have done max 4-5ft drops and it is about the biggest i would ever go to flat. Its pretty hard on the bike even on my fully I will only do
    4-5ft to flat anything bigger is asking for probs. get a hardtail man i have only ridden mine for a month and have already felt a huge difference u wont regret it
    06 Norco Shore One
    07 Giant STP SS
    07 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki
    07 Brodie Miscreant

mtbr member
    Just bought a new Vagrant ('08 Van 36), it's fun, turny in the trees and well mannered in the air. Livewire/Gypsy at N* have been cruel to my back and knees, but it's not the bike's fault--miss a tranny, pay the price.
    Edit: Forgot to mention the paint job is shite, so don't expect it to stay pretty.
    ...are you scared...?
    Scared is the wrong word. I'm frightened...
    That's an interesting distinction.

Members who have read this thread: 0