Tackling thieves at Interbike (literally)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tackling thieves at Interbike (literally)

So, Friday afternoon rolls around and another Interbike starts to wind down. Kira and myself start collecting our bikes that we have on display with other exhibitors at the show.

Around 5pm, we have all of our bikes and frames propped up against a pillar next to the DT Swiss booth. Eventually the DT Swiss guys get bored with packing up wheels, hubs and shocks and someone decides that we should finish off the left over tequila from their Wednesday evening tequila party. So, Kira, myself, a few guys from Whistler and the DT boys and girls are downing a few tequila shots.

After a while, I look over to where our bikes were propped up against the pillar - maybe about 20 feet away from where we were drinking tequila. They are NOT there....

"Where are the bikes?" I say; Paul (from DT Swiss) and I start walking towards where the bikes should have been. Both a fully built up V-tach frame (think about $8K retail - '06 888RC2X, full Raceface, DT, Magura, bling, bling, bling) and the Delrium T prototype (essentially priceless, since it's a one off prototype - the only one in existance) are missing. Right at the time, we see some comotion about 100 feet away towards the emergency exists.

Paul and I start running (as much as I can) towards the exist. Kira instantly grabs our timbuktu shoulder bags and one bare V-tach frame. As we get to the stairs, Pete Crighton (Rocky Mountain Rep) and a bunch of people from Raceface have one guy at the top of the stairs (the guy with the V-tach).

Apparently Matt Ryan (works at Katmandu bike shop in Whistler) was helping Raceface dismantle their booth. At about the same time that we noticed the bikes were missing from the DT Swiss area, Matt happened to look up and see two guys walking our bikes towards the emergency exits. He asked one of the guys: "Hey - do you guys know Noel?" They just kind of looked at him blankly. One guy froze (the one with the V-tach) and the second guy just bolted down the stairs as fast as possible with the Delirium T. He bolted out the door and the front wheel briefly got caught on the door as he tried to get out. It was just enough time for Matt to catch up to him. As the tweaker ran out the door he jumped on the bike and started to pedal away. Luckily, the bike was in a high gear and he wasn't able to start spinning up the pedals - Matt jumped at him, grabbed his back, and eventually the tweaker fell to the ground, in the middle of Sands Avenue.

Kevin (manager of Snow Covers in Whistler) was right on the scene next and started chasing after the tweaker. Kevin just managed to grab onto him, but he wriggled free and bolted down the sidewalk towards the new Wym hotel, Kevin yelling and chasing after him. A girl waiting at a bus stop saw the whole thing and as the tweaker ran past her, she turned around and kicked him square in the nuts, but adrenaline (and probably meth too) was running high and the guy never missed a step.

He ran straight into the employee enterance at the Wym, right past security but Kevin was stopped by the security. Of course, Kevin explained what happened. We have no idea if the guy was caught, but with the number of cameras in those hotels, it would be hard to think that he would have any chance of getting out.

Anyway, in the end we were extremely lucky as neither bike was stolen, but only by the fast actions of a few individuals (Matt and Kevin especially). Security at Interbike is an absolute joke. There were whole sets of doors not guarded; right after rescuing the bikes from theft, we literally just walked out of the trade show area - two full bikes and a frame in hand. The two security guards at the door had their back turned towards us and never even noticed us.

I had heard how bad security was (I know that Turner lost a few frames last year as well as others), but this was certainly first hand experience. Absolutely brazen - these guys were total tweakers and obviously didn't care at all.

Luckily (for me) Pete kicked the first tweaker that we caught out the doors before I could put my fist into his face which would have probably ended up with me in jail and the tweaker on the street.

Ridiculous...
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

Born on 2 Wheels
    wow that sucks, glad that you got them back though
    -sam
    "Shut up and Ride"

Santa Cruz Heckler Ano Silver "Silver Bullet"
    Fox DHX 5.0
    Fox Vanilla 130 R
    AWSOME!

mtbr member
    Mountain bikes are so expensive that people are resorting to stealing them.

Glad you caught them. They should beef up the security at interbike.

mtbr member
    i would of murdered tham
    signature

not really a noob
    i heard easton handle bar give an exelent whoop ass
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Good times... Good times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Glad everything was recovered.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Authority is dead!
    Jeez, I mean, I would think that it would be cool if every participating booth pitched in a hired a real deal security company for 2 or whatever days. Thieves shall die...
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

da giant head
    that sucks..luckily u got 'em back tho
    BUY MY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - ATOMLAB TRAILPIMP REAR RIM (NEVER USED)..$40

and thaz pretty much it

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Glad you got 'em back. I guess the moral of this story is that if you can't lock 'em, leave 'em in high gear so the thief can't ride away!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sweet. Yeah way too many bikes get stolen in Whistler, those guys don't take it lightly.

mtbr member
    At least you got both your bikes back and you caught one of the punks, good show!.
    -Nate
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member
    dam bike theives

T.Dot Represent
    you know what the bes part of your story is, that he hopped on the bike in high gear and tryed to pedal lol waht a dumbass!! he was definitely not a mtber cuz any of us would have known to shift.. probobly just a common thief
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Thats is awsome that you got YOUR bikes back and those speed freaks suck nuts.

mtbr member
    Well they must know something about bikes if they picked yours. At least they had good taste.

Built to Last
    Great story Noel. Glad the bikes came back to you.

Luckily they didnt get any momentum downhill or they would have been....................GONE!

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Noel - so happy to hear that the bastards didn't make off with your bikes, I was just telling someone over in the interbike forum how much I liked that Delerium (Kira told me it was cool to post pics, so I did ) Anyhow, it was great getting to talk with the two of you and try out your bikes - now if I can just figure out which bike will need to go to make room...

Josh - the compulsive test rider at the Anvil booth
    Now with more vitriol!

Code Monkey
    Good job catching those fools. Every year I hear about the damned interbike security. They stop everyone entering at 6pm, but don't realize the people with the bling-bling bikes EXITING need to be checked. Grandma's security agency doesn't cut it anymore. Hell, even Impy, Anthony and I snuck past grandma and her evil eye to drink up some o' DT Swiss' tequila and ride a Jones Ti Wednesday night. Proof <a href="http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=17033&password=&sort=1&cat=565 &page=1">here</a>.
    "Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia" - H.G. Wells.

surf-ride-repeat
    Huge props for the nutkick by the bus stop lady, Noel...

dems mad ghetto skilzzz charged up!

Thank God ya got yer bikes man!

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    so can anyone just walk in from the street or do you need to have an invite, and props to you guys and the chick for kicking there asses...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Nice catch! I had no idea the MTB industry was so exciting. Are you hiring?
    TWEEK'D GEAR
    Earth Friendly Riding Apparel
    www.tweekdgear.com

Glad to Be Alive
    that sucks about security....but you always have to act like someone is trying to steal your bike/s...that way you don't lose them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I'm glad to hear that both bikes were recovered!

Not so glad that the thieves got away...

mtbr member
    Good isht.

And, now for a joke:

What's the difference between a heroin addict and a tweaker? A heroin addict will steal your $hit. A tweaker will steal your $hit. Then, help you find it.

mtbr member
    Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the support - It was a crazy Friday evening. As I said, the real heros were Kevin (Whistler Snow Covers Manager) and Matt Ryan (super fast XC guy and local bike shop guru). Without them, those bikes would have been GONE.

We definitely learned some lessons. There were TONS of bikes lying around. Rocky Mountain was all of 10 feet away and they must have had 40-50 complete bikes lying on the ground. I think that was the difference. Our bikes - although only 20 feet away - looked like they were by them selves. The rocky booth was crawling with people. Next year, pedals come off first thing, and locks go on every frame.

"Grandma" security is a totally appropriate name. It really is ridiculos. There are whole sets of emergency exit doors that are completely unsecured. People just start walking out and other people can easily sneak in. ALso, as soon as the show ends, the shipping doors just open up and all the union tradeshow workers come in to rip up the carpet and such - pretty much anyone can get in at that point.

As I said, we were very VERY lucky.

Cheers!

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Me thinks I'll be checking the schedule for computer and audio-video trade conferences in Vegas. I need a new home theater system.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Hey Everyone!

Next year, pedals come off first thing, and locks go on every frame.

Noel

very smart and no tequila breaks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0