SX trail fork size???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. SX trail fork size???

whats the max fork length that would fit without breaking warranty for the 07 SX Trail I. Either a dual or single crown.

I heard that 180 would be the max, but I don't know. Also what kind of fork?

Thanks,

Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikemybike011
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

Registered Jong
    I have seen one with a boxxer world cup before just saying I have seen one with it i would not recomend it i would say throw a totem on there that should be enough for anyone

dirt visionary
    manual says max 175mm but specialized allows a 5% variance
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

thats not to steep is it?
    175 gets rid of alot of 180 mm forks out there. the 66 is 180 right? but thats travel adjust. and the scrotem, i mean totem, is 180 along with the domain. so i think it should be able to take a 180. but deffinatly not over that. a boxxer seems like over kill on that anyways.
    07' fsr xc pro
    06' bighit2
    05 hardrock comp set up as a dj bike
    02 fat boy hemi

dirt visionary
    + 5% would be 180mm+ still okay
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    180mm if you donīt intend to climb. It feels like a DH rig with a Totem etc.
    Get a 160mm fork, like a VAN RC2 or a Talas RC2. And put it in the low bottom bracket position. It feels fantastic and spot on with a 160mm fork.

I had a Boxxer Ride on there and didnīt like it. It was super stable on the DHs but felt shitty for everything else.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks for your replies...

I was thinking of an 07 66 RC2X. Anyone heard anything about those?
    You don't like a fork because it's popular? That's the most retarded reason I have ever heard of.

mtbr member
    They are really nice forks. Like a single crown 888, almost. They are heavy and bomb proof. They are over 3kg.
    Ideal for shuttling, soso for xc riding
    They are tall at 180mm, like a Totem, but more reliable. Damping feels nice.
    There are only 2 spring weights, but they also sport an air preload. If youīre light, 150lbs or something, those Marzocchi forks suck. If your 170lbs+ you will find a nice setup.

In my experience the SX Trail feels better with a 170mm fork, get a new and cheap 2006 RC2x. Itīs the same fork with different stickers and 10mm less travel. No changes except that.

(If you really want my oppinion. Get a FOX 36 VAN Rc2 or a Talas RC2)
    I had a good dialed 66SL, even with my coil mod (basically a Rc2x afterwards) it didnīt quite feel perfect for the SX Trail.

Now with the Talas RC2 my SX feels so much better. It tracks better, feels super good on tech stuff. It climbs really good and it feels fast and nimble.
    The 66forks seem to add a lot of wheelbase length (offset or whatever) and make the bike stable on DHs, but the nimble feel is gone.
    Also, I (personally) donīt like the Marzocchi feel. But thatīs just personal preference.

Other options:
    Totem, Lyrik,Domain (those forks may have some issues, reliability. otherwise great performance)
    66light Eta, 55 series (new for 2008, donīt know anything about them)

36 Float Rc2(almost 1kg lighter than a 66Rc2x, but as stiff and really nice)
    36 Talas RC2 (ideal match , no seriously I really dig it, best fork for the SX trail yet)
    36 Van RC2 (probably even better performance than the Talas, but not as versatile)

let me know if you want pics!

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    got the fox 36 float on mine works great for me, can handle the downhill but also able to climb

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    It's a freakin slopestyle/Freeride bike. You should be running 160mm max. Pro's run the Sx with 150 or 160. You must also remember it is a 1 1/8 HT. More travel=more stress

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fragy
    got the fox 36 float on mine works great for me, can handle the downhill but also able to climb

I'm usually lazy and either walk up or take the lift. I dont climb very much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

66 Ata

I am also looking for a new fork for my '06 SXT II. With a 170m rear, it seems like the logical choice is a 170mm fork. In '06, the SXT 1 came stock with the 170mm Marzocchi 66VF. The 2008 Marz 66 ATA is 180mm, adjustable down to 140. This seems like the best option; with the adjustablity, can run it anywhere between 140-180mm. 1/2 lb heavier than the Fox Talas, but with 20mm more travel adjustability.
    Would like to hear more from people running the larger forks on this bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0