Sweet looking frame- Mtbr.com
    dirt rules

Sweet looking frame

Has anyone ridden one of these? They look really nice. The overall simplicity is very appealing. https://www.ridesoul.com/matador.html
    I like the pivot being close to the BB, and the fact that there are no pivots on the seat or chain stays. They are light, and seem very reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    wait a second i have seen this frame before.....

was this the one brad made a loooong time ago??? im thinking so of it looks alot like it.

i heard it rode well

dirt rules
    (From the site in the link with the original post)
    Almost 2 years in development, the Matador is our lightweight full suspension dual purpose rig. The frame lends itself to 2 different set ups (4X (6.5 x 1.5+100mm) / Mid-Travel Slopestyle (7.5 x 2.0+130mm) ). The frame features a machined scissor link for additional rear end lateral stiffness. A 6mm thick front shock mount tying the top and down tubes together to add stiffness and minimize down tube torsion and twisting.

NMBP/OMBA crew!
    looks like a killer deal man. wonder what the quality is like and if it can take the hits?
    http://ocalabicyclecenter.com/

Rubber side down is good for me

Glad to Be Alive
    does look nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If you look around the web, sooner or later, you'll see a frame that is very similar in appearance. The name of the company is DunCon, and the model is the Akita. There is a thread with more info on Ridemonkey, but basically it goes something like: the guy that was hired to design the swingarm/dropouts didn't have to license his work with Soul. So you see the same dropouts and a similar swingar config on the DunCon.

I've been doing a ton of research on this frame as I'm considering it an alternative to a Transition Bottlerocket albeit a little lighter duty. One thing to note if you look at the Geo on the website, the HA is measured with a 505mm Axle to Crown fork setup. I was told that this was to simulate a 5" fork sitting at 20% sag. Many other MFGs list their HAs with uncompressed measurements, so this needs to be taken into account. With something like a 36Van, the HA is going to be slacker than what is posted on the website (which for my application is a good thing).

Chris

Meh.
    Definitely not like the frame Brad made.

There's a Duncon like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dirt rules
    The extra link and the beefed up shock mount seem like good design. The dropouts look beefy too.
    I think Pdirt is going to hook one of these up, so I might get to see and ride one in person if he does.
    The Akita by DunCon IS very similar. http://www.duncon.com/index.php?id=produkty&rama=akita
    The down tube is square, and no scissor link, but the rear end looks very close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hmm wasn't able to view, but if it is anything like the Duncon above it sure looks like the Azonic cookie cutter B52.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    The extra link and the beefed up shock mount seem like good design. The dropouts look beefy too.
    Why the extra link? It doesn't seem like it really serves a purpose.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Personally, I like the Matador over the Duncon, and 100% believe that the Soul Cycles crew put a lot of work and effort into it's design. The only reason I even posted up the deal about the Duncon was because I had read some negative stuff on other boards and wanted to try and nip it in the bud before someone asked if one bike was a rip off of the other.

As for why the scissor link. It gives a secondary anchor point between the swingarm and the down tube which then takes torsional stress off the shock. It should help make the rear end feel laterally stiffer as the rear triangle has less room to sway on the bushings. I swapped emails with one of their team riders who uses it for 4x and he said that the rear end is very stiff and the bike doesn't deflect under hard sprinting (think BMX straightway) loads.

I'm 99% sure I'll be ordering up one of these on Monday.

Chris

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    Hmm wasn't able to view, but if it is anything like the Duncon above it sure looks like the Azonic cookie cutter B52.
    That's not a DunCon. That's the frame Brad made. One off. And it still doesn't like like an Azonic.

surf-ride-repeat
    Yep, I have one coming.. waiting on the fork... soon... I'll do a full review etc...

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot
    Why the extra link? It doesn't seem like it really serves a purpose.
    On a single pivot it makes the rear of the bike a bit stiffer over all. because the rear triangle is in fact a triangle, and it's a single pivot it's only smart to have a little swing link up top to keep it stiff in the back. look at the foes dhs mono (not the 2:1 model) and it is the same thing. triangulated rear end, with a big ol' single pivot and a swing link.

frame looks clean, strong, light, competitively priced. like to see how they hold up
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    dose anyone on this thread have a duncon?? I think i'd like to get one - are there any distributors in n. america? their website doesn't show anything

train gorilla
    pricepoint has the Duncon akita and tosa inu
    http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb.htm?...sort=styleName
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

dirt rules
    Just curious, but what would make you want the DunCon over the Matador?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It looks like an ok frame, I dont really like the low single pivot, high single pivots eat up rocks alot better.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Just curious, but what would make you want the DunCon over the Matador?
    Uhh it's basically the same frame, one has a swing link the other doesn't, pick your name and go with it although the DunCon has an IS chainguide mount that the other doesn't.

And to the other poster, nice try but the Azonic frame is a horst-link, not even close to this frame design.
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I went ahead and ordered up a Matador with a 6way This afternoon. I was actually on the fence between a DHXC and a Rocco, but couldn't get either in time for my Mammoth trip. I'm guessing the 6 way will do alright. If not, it will give me a good excuse to try a Rocco and still have a shock with platform hanging around if needed. Hopefully the frame will get here on Wednesday 'cause I'm leavin for Mammoth at the asscrack of dawn on Friday morning.

On a side note, I bugged the hell out of Chad and both of his riders (Alejandro and Adam) with questions etc. on this frame. They have all been nothing short of awesome in terms of getting back to me with answers and insight. Even today, they had to drop off the frame at FedEx because I didn't get the order handled until after their normal pickup time. Not a huge thing, but Chad knew I wanted to get the frame together for this weekend, and made a couple of greatly appreciated accomdations to help ensure that I'll be riding it in Mammoth. The excellent customer service and personal attention is just a bonus on top of what I really think is going to be a *****en ride. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures and experiences to share when I get back.

Chris

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Broke
    I went ahead and ordered up a Matador with a 6way This afternoon. I was actually on the fence between a DHXC and a Rocco, but couldn't get either in time for my Mammoth trip. I'm guessing the 6 way will do alright. If not, it will give me a good excuse to try a Rocco and still have a shock with platform hanging around if needed. Hopefully the frame will get here on Wednesday 'cause I'm leavin for Mammoth at the asscrack of dawn on Friday morning.

On a side note, I bugged the hell out of Chad and both of his riders (Alejandro and Adam) with questions etc. on this frame. They have all been nothing short of awesome in terms of getting back to me with answers and insight. Even today, they had to drop off the frame at FedEx because I didn't get the order handled until after their normal pickup time. Not a huge thing, but Chad knew I wanted to get the frame together for this weekend, and made a couple of greatly appreciated accomdations to help ensure that I'll be riding it in Mammoth. The excellent customer service and personal attention is just a bonus on top of what I really think is going to be a *****en ride. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures and experiences to share when I get back.

Chris
    Confiirmed Soul Cycles is the shizzznit... grass roots real deal.

Turkey Vulture N Training
    Dam that frame is pretty chill

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Here's a little cross post from my "hometown" msg board covering the build and my initial feelings on the frame after taking it to Mammoth for the weekend:

...I was actually close to getting a BR as they're marked down at Adrenaline right now. However, after bugging the guys at Soul Cycles about their Matador frame, I stumbled onto an offer I couldn't refuse and pulled the trigger on Monday aftenoon. This morning, the FedEx ground guy dropped off my new ride for Mammoth!

You can find spec on the frame at https://www.ridesoul.com/matador but note that the HA measurement is taken with a 505mm AC height, wherase a Fox 36 runs 540mm or thereabouts slackening the HA to around 67.5.

The build will be ghetto-functional with Sram drivetrain, Gravity Gap cranks, 36RC2 fork, Profile bars, Atomlab aircorp stem, cheapo Titec post, wtb saddle, mavic/forumla wheelset, Shimano discs and a Swinger 6way for the rear shock. I was going to get the frame with a DHXC or Rocco air, but I couldn't get either in time for the trip, so I got hooked up with a demo Swinger from Soul. If the swinger works, it'll stay, if not, I'll probably order up a Rocco R Air as everyone seems to be raving about them and they are probably the only air option for big guys.

We got back from Mammoth a couple of hours ago and after tending to my wounds and gear, I figgured I'd post up a couple pictures of the frame built up and give my impressions on the ride etc. This will probably kinda turn into a mini RR on our Mammoth trip as I'll reference different trails in relation to how the bike handled etc, so if you live in California/Nevada and haven't been up to Mammoth, don't complain, pick a weekend between now and 9/21 and see what you're missing out on.

First impressions just pedaling around camp dialing in my derailleur adjustment was that the bike pedaled really well when seated. I was running a pretty soft 33% sag and even still, the rear felt pretty solid when under power.

All my nit picking over geo numbers on a frame I couldn't test ride ended up being well worth my while as the Matador feels just as familliar as my old Vagrant, and the slightly shorter top tube felt just a little better. But pedalling a bike around the campground loop can pretty much only tell if you if your drivetrain is setup right and you like the overall fit of the frame.

Having never been to Mammoth before and being in the company of longer travel bikes and better riders, I was a little anxious about how the bike would handle as I was pounding down breakfast on Saturday morning. Essentially coming from a hardtail, my riding style isn't as sensitive to the amount of travel the bike has, but more so, how it hadles once the going gets rough. But before the going got rough, the going got steep and loose, and I will say that while my skill set in this area could use some work, the bike didn't get skittish or make me feel like I had the wrong tool for the job. Sure fatter tires, a longer wheelbase, and possibly a slacker HA would have made the ride down the last part of Skid Marks before Bridge the Gap more comfortable; but the bike did fine and was suffering mostly from my tire choice.

I'll skip over my encounter with upper DC10 because the bike had more business being there than I did, but even so, I don't think that is it's element. I'm sure there are guys that can make it happen on a 5" bike, but I'm not one of them. For that matter, I'm not one of them even on a 9" bike, so any input I gave relative to that trail would be total BS.

Where I really started to notice the bike come into it's own was on 7 Bridges. I kind of liken the bike to a sports car in that environment. There are canyon roads that you can drive and they are nice for scenery, getting away from people etc. But if you drive the same road at 9/10s or 10/10s and really attack the corners and run the car hard, the ride becomes a completely different experience. I could cruise most of 7 Bridges no problem; but if I wanted to throw in a few extra pedal strokes here and there, and actually bring the fight to the terrain rather than let the terrain bring it to me, the bike just came alive. The harder I pushed in the corners, the better it felt. The rougher sections... just add more speed and all of the sudden I felt like I was a better rider because the bike was so responsive to my input.

That confidence carried over into my attempt at Velocity below Trail Home. Again, once I got in the frame of mind to attack rather than wait for the next obstacle, the bike felt awsome. The rear didn't track super smooth and soak up every bump, but it always took enough out of the trail that I was in complete control and never thought that I might need more squish. I did learn one interesting thing about the bike early on in the run. No matter how nice it handles, you can't drive it into a boulder and expect to come out smelling like a rose I made a rookie mistake and "locked on" to a boulder that I was trying to avoid and subsequently homed in like an exocet missle. The low standover made the incident less painful than it could have been by allowing an easy eject option, but I still got the wind knocked out of me pretty good and it hurts when I cough so I'm pretty confident in saying that I was moving at a good clip. After gathering myself and assesing the bike, everything was cool and I continued on down the trail, again with the bike bringing confidence to push harder than I would have ever tried on my Vagrant. All day I had been complaining that I needed to dial in a little more compression in the fork, and I ended up paying for my laziness further down the trail. But over the ladders and drops, the bike felt familiar and predictable and never bottomed despite it's relatively short travel and heavy rider.

After repairing myself and swapping in some new rear pads, we hit Kamikaze in all of it's skittish, brake killing, howling wind blowing, "mother of all fire roads" glory. You see everything from rental 5" deals to full on DH rigs on this trail, and the only real obstacles are the lack of grip, light brake bumps and having the nerve to let the bike run so you don't cook your brakes. I like the 2.35 Bling Bling tires for anything but the kitty litter that you find on this run and other parts of the upper mountain. The tires made choosing and holding a line more of a mental thing than a function of how the bike rode. You had to think about where you wanted to go rather than turn or lean to get there. Slowly the bike would come around and stay on that line without too much drama. The only thing related to the frame that I noticed was the rear end does stiffen a little bit under harder rear braking. It didn't seem like it fully locked up and skipped around, but it deffinitely did tend to feel a little less compliant over the stuttery braking bumps. I couldn't really notice this tendancy on more technical trails, but on long straight runs like Kamikaze, I had time to notice it. Again, not a big deal as it didn't cause a loss of control or uneasyness, but worth noting as it could be an issue for someone.

All in all, I'm super stoked on this bike. You can get the front end up easily even when rolling dow steep ladders/inclines like on Velocity. The bike feels very stable for it's wheelbase, and the low geo makes it very predictable. Even with a relatively low bb height of 13.45 before sag, I never racked the pedals or bashguard on anything.

The rear end is super stiff feeling and holds it's line well. The swing link definitely does it's job and doesn't seem to add any drag or inpair smooth movement of the rear end.

Overall I honestly feel that this is really the only bike I'm going to need. Sure a plusher bike would take some of the edge off on stuff up at Mammoth and other places where the terrain can get a little unruly. But for a bike that will be a trail bike, hit the occaisional lift or shuttle trip, and pedal pretty well, this thing kicks ass. It rails corners, feels comfortable and confidence inspiring when things get steep/ulglier, is built tough, but not overweight, and can handle gnarlier terrain than I'm currently capable of riding regardless of the amount of travel available.

On top of how the bike rides, I've been really stoked with how helpful Chad and both of his team riders have been throughout my decision making process. If you surf the bike boards, or own a Transition, you'll always read about how they are customer focused and take care of their customers. When I bought my Vagrant, I enjoyed that experience and they were very helpfull. But my experience with Soul Cycles has been nothing short of amazing. Chad went above and beyond in ways I would have never imagined to make sure I could use this frame for this trip.

I was orriginally planning on ditching the Swinger 6way for a Rocco R Air, but after the shock's performance at Mammoth, it's staying until it gives up the ghost. I took a little time to dial in my air pressure and volume, and that seemed to pay good divedends on the mountain.

Sorry for the long post, but in case you couldn't tell, I'm super stoked on my new ride, as well as my first trip to Mammoth on a bike. Even being banged up pretty good, I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to take my bike back to the big hill.

Chris

Members who have read this thread: 0