suspension xperts a question for you...- Mtbr.com
    Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

suspension xperts a question for you...

Here's the deal.

I have a KHS FR2000 that has 3 travel settings (6-5-4) using a 7.5 x 2 shock. I want to put a different shock on the rear that is 6.5 x 1.63, what will the travel settings be after that??

By my figures I got 5 - 4 - 3.25, but I'm not really sure of what I'm doing, so??? Can anyone help, I would greatly appreciate it. Also if possible explain how you got the numbers, that would be extra awesome. Thanks kiddies.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Here's the deal.

I have a KHS FR2000 that has 3 travel settings (6-5-4) using a 7.5 x 2 shock. I want to put a different shock on the rear that is 6.5 x 1.63, what will the travel settings be after that??

By my figures I got 5 - 4 - 3.25, but I'm not really sure of what I'm doing, so??? Can anyone help, I would greatly appreciate it. Also if possible explain how you got the numbers, that would be extra awesome. Thanks kiddies.
    i got about the same numbers as u

simple proportions and cross multiplying is all. i dont know wut im doin either but the numbers do kinda make sense
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

Pro Crastinator
    there is no such thing as a 6.5 x 1.63....
    it's a 6.5 x 1.5, the spring is 1.63 (i have the same thing on my ZigZag)

pwn3rator
    just do it...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    there is no such thing as a 6.5 x 1.63....
    it's a 6.5 x 1.5, the spring is 1.63 (i have the same thing on my ZigZag)
    Stratos XC Pro AIR SHOCK. Comes in a 6.5 x 1.63 stroke.

Do you really doubt me so much that you think I can't read a shocks dimensions??? Can't a guy live down his past transgressions? I didn't mention anything about FSR's or brake jack, jeez!!!

Where that b1tch1n Canfield??????

To the others thanks for the confirmation, I needed to be sure my figures weren't wrong or maybe I was forgetting something.

Canfield Brothers

Do you really doubt me so much that you think I can't read a shocks dimensions??? Can't a guy live down his past transgressions? I didn't mention anything about FSR's or brake jack, jeez!!!

Where that b1tch1n Canfield??????

To the others thanks for the confirmation, I needed to be sure my figures weren't wrong or maybe I was forgetting something.
    I didn't do a recalc but I would be figuring out how low the B-B will be and the head angle after the conversion. Your bike will be more slack, maybe 2 degrees, and the b-b may be too low. The shock would be 1" shorter but only .38 less stroke! ? ..... Just something to keep in mind.

Pro Crastinator

Where that b1tch1n Canfield?????? ......
    my bad, my Vanilla RC on my ZigZag has that exact measurements printed right on it, but i know the stroke is only 1.5 so you see where i was coming from......

the canfield is coming along nicely, i dismantled the mono for good the other night. just have to pick up the rear wheel today or tomorrow and she'll be up and running....

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    my bad, my Vanilla RC on my ZigZag has that exact measurements printed right on it, but i know the stroke is only 1.5 so you see where i was coming from......

the canfield is coming along nicely, i dismantled the mono for good the other night. just have to pick up the rear wheel today or tomorrow and she'll be up and running....
    Ah no worries, I knew where you were coming from, just thought I'd clarify. I had a feeling someone might chime in on that weird shock config.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing your thoughts. I've been drooling over those bikes for a while. Interbike was just embarrasing, the ammount of questions and time I spent going over their demo model. It was sickening.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    I didn't do a recalc but I would be figuring out how low the B-B will be and the head angle after the conversion.
    That's what I was thinking. The Banshee Chap for instance, is 5-6 with a long shock, or 4-5 with a short shock BUT there is a second [lower] rocker pivot that can only be used with the shorter shock, to compensate for the BB change.

To that effect you could build yourself a "strut extension" to effectively keep the i2i with a shorter stroke. IE; if could you bring the lower shock mount up one inch, you'd get the same ride height.

If you think of a SC Bullit, they've already got a piece of this nature at the mainframe shock mount. It could likely be adapted, but you hafta do some drilling on the KHS to make it work.

Uh, and good luck finding hardware that'll fit that frame.

Canfield Brothers

I want to see you hucking that thing! Get on er!

You might get Romic to make you a custom i2i if they have something close. A few rear shock makers can do that like Avy, maybe Push ? You just want to shorten the length to get the b-b the right height. Then just limit travel with the stroke.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flymybike
    I didn't do a recalc but I would be figuring out how low the B-B will be and the head angle after the conversion. Your bike will be more slack, maybe 2 degrees, and the b-b may be too low. The shock would be 1" shorter but only .38 less stroke! ? ..... Just something to keep in mind.
    Well I did consider all that before I made the change. But thanks allot Lance, I very much appreciate someone of your background giving some input.

In the bikes orginal setup it had a 69* HA and 13.5 BB, now it should be about a 68* HA with a 12.5 BB. If I'm correct losing 1'' in the shock I2I should only change the geometry 1*, very similiar to a longer fork on front.

This is effectively what I wanted to accomplish, so all is good.

Canfield Brothers
    Well I did consider all that before I made the change. But thanks allot Lance, I very much appreciate someone of your background giving some input.

In the bikes orginal setup it had a 69* HA and 13.5 BB, now it should be about a 68* HA with a 12.5 BB. If I'm correct losing 1'' in the shock I2I should only change the geometry 1*, very similiar to a longer fork on front.

This is effectively what I wanted to accomplish, so all is good.
    Sweet! Post a picture when it's together with geometry specs. How does it ride?