suspension vs drops- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    99

    suspension vs drops

    I often hear people comparing forks to the kind of riding they plan to be doing, mostly an estimated size of drop they will be doing. For example they will say they will be doing 3-5 foot drops, what is an adequate fork, etc. Well my question is, are they referring to 3-5 foot drops landing on flat ground or on an incline? Because I do 5+ foot drops but I always land on a steep incline so the impact is minimal.
    What are they referring to when one says 3-5 foot drops, etc??

  2. #2
    soviet pride
    Reputation: ilikepinkbikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKassZ
    I often hear people comparing forks to the kind of riding they plan to be doing, mostly an estimated size of drop they will be doing. For example they will say they will be doing 3-5 foot drops, what is an adequate fork, etc. Well my question is, are they referring to 3-5 foot drops landing on flat ground or on an incline? Because I do 5+ foot drops but I always land on a steep incline so the impact is minimal.
    What are they referring to when one says 3-5 foot drops, etc??
    they are probably just generalizing the height from which they take off from to the point of thier landing, or atleast thats what i assume when something like that is said.
    im all about midget drops

  3. #3
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    i've done a 5 foot to flat on my specialist with a sherman jumper.


    i know i am so on topic

  4. #4
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKassZ
    I often hear people comparing forks to the kind of riding they plan to be doing, mostly an estimated size of drop they will be doing.
    those people are idiots. Dont listen to idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    605
    the kind of fork you need is all rider dependant, how smooth they are, thier weight, what bike it is etc my buddy is to broke to buy a new fork, and works at the bikeshop so he's actually using an old Manitou Mars 3 inch fork *with elastomers in leg to stop it from buzzing crown* which is a 100% XC fork and very old, it was actually thrown away by a customer who felt it was to soft for his XC riding but he flys off an assload of things with it up around 10 feet. but i sure wouldn't recommend the fork to everyone just cause he lives lol. ( i'm sure one day if he doesn't get a new fork soon it'll explode upon landing on him) he does drops that alot of people on big fully's are still nervous about.

  6. #6
    SamIAm
    Reputation: SamL3227's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRida
    the kind of fork you need is all rider dependant, how smooth they are, thier weight, what bike it is etc my buddy is to broke to buy a new fork, and works at the bikeshop so he's actually using an old Manitou Mars 3 inch fork *with elastomers in leg to stop it from buzzing crown* which is a 100% XC fork and very old, it was actually thrown away by a customer who felt it was to soft for his XC riding but he flys off an assload of things with it up around 10 feet. but i sure wouldn't recommend the fork to everyone just cause he lives lol. ( i'm sure one day if he doesn't get a new fork soon it'll explode upon landing on him) he does drops that alot of people on big fully's are still nervous about.
    exacally, i saw a trials rider with a fully rigid bike doing 10+ drops fine that riders with big 7in fullys were having a hard time with....its about skill, suspension just smooths it out, for drops and such at least.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

  7. #7
    Chinky on a Stinky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    i've done a 5 foot to flat on my specialist with a sherman jumper.


    i know i am so on topic
    o yea? ive done it with an 80mm mz comp

    i win. ha
    Straight outta Compton..............

    Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

    DREAM THEATER

Similar Threads

  1. Trade-offs in anti-squat suspension theory
    By derby in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-24-2010, 03:46 PM
  2. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  3. rigid vs hardtail vs full suspension
    By old_dude in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 03:37 PM
  4. more mistaken 4-bar analysis
    By derby in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-11-2004, 05:20 PM
  5. Please explain the difference between ICT and HorstLink
    By BanzaiRider in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 12:55 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.