Suspension Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Suspension Help

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Suspension Help

So I got my bike today- '05 IH 7 point 5. The sucker is literally brand new. I plan on riding it this weekend at Southridge(CA). I want to get the suspension correctly set up before hand. I've read all the manuals and came to the conclusion that the Boxxer will work for now with the right spring and the 5th element could be the source of some nightmares. So my questions are as fallows:
    1) I wiegh 200# and dropping- but I will still need to get a stiffer fork spring. Where would be the best source to get something by the weekend? I usually go to Jenson but I didn't see anything listed that matches the Rock Shox manual. I will go there tomarrow and ask.

2) I sat on the bike and basically bottomed the thing out just sitting on it. I know I can crank up the preload but I have a feeling that the spring is too soft. The manual from Progressive keeps mentioning the "quick start guide" to figure the correct spring rate, but I don't have that and they don't have one listed on there site for IH. Does anyone know what would be the correct rate for a 200# guy? And where can I get one quickly? I heard a manitou spring will also work- does anyone know? (it currently has a 300# spring)

I tried Push's website and they seem to be Fox exclusive. Getting a new shock is not an option right now- I'll have to find a way to make this one work for the time being. I can always try progressive themselves but I have dealt with them in the past with m/c stuff and I wasn't very satisfied. Thanks for any and all input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie108
    So I got my bike today- '05 IH 7 point 5. The sucker is literally brand new. I plan on riding it this weekend at Southridge(CA). I want to get the suspension correctly set up before hand. I've read all the manuals and came to the conclusion that the Boxxer will work for now with the right spring and the 5th element could be the source of some nightmares. So my questions are as fallows:
    1) I wiegh 200# and dropping- but I will still need to get a stiffer fork spring. Where would be the best source to get something by the weekend? I usually go to Jenson but I didn't see anything listed that matches the Rock Shox manual. I will go there tomarrow and ask.

2) I sat on the bike and basically bottomed the thing out just sitting on it. I know I can crank up the preload but I have a feeling that the spring is too soft. The manual from Progressive keeps mentioning the "quick start guide" to figure the correct spring rate, but I don't have that and they don't have one listed on there site for IH. Does anyone know what would be the correct rate for a 200# guy? And where can I get one quickly? I heard a manitou spring will also work- does anyone know? (it currently has a 300# spring)

I tried Push's website and they seem to be Fox exclusive. Getting a new shock is not an option right now- I'll have to find a way to make this one work for the time being. I can always try progressive themselves but I have dealt with them in the past with m/c stuff and I wasn't very satisfied. Thanks for any and all input.
    Call Go-ride . They sell IH bikes and can get you the needed springs.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Tons of good DW-Link suspension turning info can be found here in this thread.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    just for future reference..tftuned has a good online spring calcualtor to get you in the right ballpark.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0