Super T oil stuff- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Super T oil stuff

I honestly dont know how to change or add oil to my super ts, could somebody enlightin me on this subject. your help would be greatly apreciated
    signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LandonVega
    I honestly dont know how to change or add oil to my super ts, could somebody enlightin me on this subject. your help would be greatly apreciated
    - The only thing you have to do to add oil is
    - remove the topcaps with a wrench
    (those things with a black adjuster on it with + an - on it to adjust the compression)
    - Push the fork down a bit, so the springs come out a bit.
    - You can add oil now, somekind of syringe is very usefull.
    - Add small amounts and test your fork (For example: untill it doesn't bottom any more)
    - Marzocchi uses 7.5WT in their forks.

**When you want to change the oil it's almost the same, just make sure that you cycle the fork a few times (upside down) to get ALL the oil out of the cardtridges.
    Add the same amount of oil as you get out.
    **Remove your frontwheel and put a rag on your calliper, because you absolutely don't want oil on your disc or brake pads.

more info from marzocchi

izumusx988
    so you drain out the oil thro the top caps?

Who pickin the banjo?
    Buy a torque wrench first and get the manual too. Actually I'll rebuild your fork for ya for a premium.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

Who pickin the banjo?
    Buy a torque wrench first and get the manual too.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

Meh.
    It's easier to take the fork out of the frame to work on it, and pop the brakes off. Clean the fork thoroughly, especially around the seals and topcaps, this is to make sure that you don't inadvertantly get dirt into your internals. You can also spray the whole thing with WD40 to make sure you got all the water and dirt.
    Pop the caps off the top of your fork. Check the seals carefully, replace them if neccesary.
    Take a wrench and back the top caps out of the crown. Turn the fork upside down to drain all the oil out. Extend and compress the fork a few times (while upside down) to make sure you get all the old oil out. Wipe the fork as much as you can to get the oil out. Check the seals and caps for damage again.
    Fully compress the forks and fill them up with the oil you chose. The oil should be about 4 cm from the top of the stanchions when compressed. Extend the fork and compress it slowly to get all the air out. Now fill up the oil to the correct height (I forget how much that is, check the online manual at Marzocchi's website).
    Put a little grease around the seals (under the seals works well) and put the topcaps back in. If you have a torque wrench tighten to 20 Nm, if not, just tighten them up without overdoing it. Cycle through the fork's travel a few times and make sure you're getting the amount of travel you want. If not, take the cap back off and take a little oil out, if you want to reduce the travel put a little more oil in.
    Check for leaks and wipe any extra oil off. Since the fork is already out of the frame, be sure to regrease the headset and steerer tube. Now put it all together again.

Glad to Be Alive
    remeber those top caps don't need to be cranked down hard....just lightly tighten them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    i was just about to post the exact same thing. what kinda of oil should i use to refill? i hear golden spectra 7.5? whats the best. how does oil height to feel compare? what is the torque wrench used for?

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by thebikedoctor33
    ok so i unscrewed the top two caps and pushed the fork down all the way and never saw any oil at all, is this a bad thing??? and when i was unscrewing one of them, i turned it like 2 turns past where it could have come out, do i need to turn it back to where it was or does it not matter?
    You need to completely remove the top caps...
    <><

mtbr member
    ok so i unscrewed the top two caps and pushed the fork down all the way and never saw any oil at all, is this a bad thing??? and when i was unscrewing one of them, i turned it like 2 turns past where it could have come out, do i need to turn it back to where it was or does it not matter?

Meh.
    The oil isn't supposed to come out when you fully compress the fork.
    The torque wrench is to make sure you don't overtighten the top caps.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    remeber those top caps don't need to be cranked down hard....just lightly tighten them
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Why is this bad to over tighten them?... does it strip easily?
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The oil isn't supposed to come out when you fully compress the fork.
    so how are you supposed to know what level the oil is in the fork if you cant see it?

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Why is this bad to over tighten them?... does it strip easily?
    no they wont strip, but you'll just mangle the wrench faces. The threads on both the top caps and footnuts are nice and precise so they have a very positive 'bottom-out' when they tighten (well calloused fingers can tighten the top caps properly).

You dont need a torque wrench to work on these forks (well the crowns and dropouts may appreciate it if your ham-fisted)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Former Noob Herder
    so how are you supposed to know what level the oil is in the fork if you cant see it?
    dipsticks, just like on cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    alright i just got back from N* last night and now im finaly getting around to this. i took the top caps off but on the right sanction s top cap a long rod is attached, i think its the dampner. but anyways how do i get that out, or the top cap off it? thanks again for all the help
    signature

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by LandonVega
    alright i just got back from N* last night and now im finaly getting around to this. i took the top caps off but on the right sanction s top cap a long rod is attached, i think its the dampner. but anyways how do i get that out, or the top cap off it? thanks again for all the help
    You need to remove the preload adjust knob with a tiny allen wrench (can't remember the exact size) and underneath that there should be a c-clip. Remove the c-clip and the top cap should just unscrew.
    <><

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    You need to remove the preload adjust knob with a tiny allen wrench (can't remember the exact size) and underneath that there should be a c-clip. Remove the c-clip and the top cap should just unscrew.
    i thought you were just supposed to leave those on, considering it seems like you can do everything without taking them off?

Glad to Be Alive
    just call the techs at marz 800-227-5579
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Buckle Up
    i thought you were just supposed to leave those on, considering it seems like you can do everything without taking them off?
    The top caps? It's hard to put any oil in the fork with the topcaps on.
    <><

surf-ride-repeat

Keep in mind the c clips that hold the rods together, hold the lowers and stancions together, as well...

don't lose the c clips.... yes, you need take them off to cycle the rods through the carts,etc...