Super Glue or Urgent Care?- Mtbr.com
    Evlkneevljr

Super Glue or Urgent Care?

So I had a bit of a spill last week and split my knee open; stupid pad slid down....

Anyway, my buddies said it looked like I would have to get a few stitches...that sucks. So, instead of heading down to the Urgent Care I cleaned it up, disinfected it and used some Super Glue to close it up. Now a week later, it healed up great and saved me about 3-4 stitches, time waiting in Urgent Care and a bit of $$.

I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to have Super Glue in my First Aid Kit (Dermabond is too rediculously expensive and it's nearly the same thing). Anyone else use this occasionally?
    I like bacon.

killin clear creek
    Many times.

I did an 8 stitch on a buddy's chin from wakeboarding a few years back. That's the biggest I've done, but it works great compared to dealing with the stinking health care system!!!

When climbing we carry it every time. Seems like a good thing to carry for just about any sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

Moose Member
    U sound crazy... I'm not sure how safe using glue I'd but I say go for it. Sounds BA...

Go big....Die young
    It's the only way to go!!! I carry 2 tubes every ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I used duct tape once on a buddy of mine that gashed his leg on some shale. We rinsed it out fairly well. went to the ER that night to have it checked out, and there was still a bit of crap in there that we missed. Could have developed gang green if we had glued togather,

In some cases, especially deep wounds, they'll leave unstiched, and pack the wound with gauze so it'll heal from the inside out, and less chance of developing an infection.

Superglue works great for paper cuts though.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe superglue was initially developed for this very purpose. Quick battlefield closure of wounds.

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by branthopolis
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe superglue was initially developed for this very purpose. Quick battlefield closure of wounds.
    That is what I believe.
    I would say that is probably the best use, good to stop you bleeding to death in a critical situation, but not to be used lightly
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F.
    We rinsed it out fairly well. went to the ER that night to have it checked out, and there was still a bit of crap in there that we missed. Could have developed gang green if we had glued togather,
    Exactly. Superglue is a good emergency fix and you can possibly get away with it if the wound is clean, but if you don't get it checked out later on, you might be in for some trouble.

In some cases, especially deep wounds, they'll leave unstiched, and pack the wound with gauze so it'll heal from the inside out, and less chance of developing an infection.
    Yep, they also have to do that if the wound is too old to stitch up, or after they have to open it up again because you superglued a dirty wound....

You can end up spending weeks with that gauze stuff in your leg, changing bandages all the time (plus a big scar). All in all, it sucks, trust me on this one.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Cayenne Pepper.

I remember a news story decades ago about a super glue they were using in hospitals instead of stitches. Apparently it didn't work out since stitches are still the way to go for really deep stuff.
    MTBR review on the Hope skewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Get A Clue
    Weaknesses: Doesn't work when used incorrectly

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    Exactly. Superglue is a good emergency fix and you can possibly get away with it if the wound is clean, but if you don't get it checked out later on, you might be in for some trouble.

Yep, they also have to do that if the wound is too old to stitch up, or after they have to open it up again because you superglued a dirty wound....

You can end up spending weeks with that gauze stuff in your leg, changing bandages all the time (plus a big scar). All in all, it sucks, trust me on this one.
    Yep, sucks the big one for sure. I scraped my shin years ago on a pointy rock hidden in the sand while playing beach volley. The wound didn't look that bad, patched myself up (not even with superglue, just cleaned and bandaged the thing), it seemed like it healed, but in fact it was getting REAL nasty underneath. After a while it started producing some greenish puss, and the scab would not stick to the wound after it formed...it would sort of float off after a day or so, leaving the flesh exposed again, and so on and so forth. By the time I decided it wasn't getting any better and went to see the doc, it was pretty bad, and I was running a fever feeling like $hit...I ended up with a very painful local antibiotic treatment, having to clean the wound twice daily and reapply all sorts of crap to it....it took over 1 month to heal (basically the tissue had to regrow itself, as the infection had eaten away most of the skin and tissue on the front of the shin...down to the bone). Ugly scar to show for it, about 1" wide and 2" long (but that's OK - chicks dig 'em, right... ).
    So yeah, fixing it yourself seemed very cool and warrior-like at the time, but in reality it was at best pretty stupid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Forgot to mention using natural raw honey to disinfect wounds (kills MRSA - Manuka honey http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/) along with cayenne pepper to stop bleeding and pack a wound.
    MTBR review on the Hope skewers
    Quote Originally Posted by Get A Clue
    Weaknesses: Doesn't work when used incorrectly

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Yep, sucks the big one for sure. I scraped my shin years ago on a pointy rock hidden in the sand while playing beach volley. The wound didn't look that bad, patched myself up (not even with superglue, just cleaned and bandaged the thing), it seemed like it healed, but in fact it was getting REAL nasty underneath. After a while it started producing some greenish puss, and the scab would not stick to the wound after it formed...it would sort of float off after a day or so, leaving the flesh exposed again, and so on and so forth. By the time I decided it wasn't getting any better and went to see the doc, it was pretty bad, and I was running a fever feeling like $hit...I ended up with a very painful local antibiotic treatment, having to clean the wound twice daily and reapply all sorts of crap to it....it took over 1 month to heal (basically the tissue had to regrow itself, as the infection had eaten away most of the skin and tissue on the front of the shin...down to the bone). Ugly scar to show for it, about 1" wide and 2" long (but that's OK - chicks dig 'em, right... ).
    So yeah, fixing it yourself seemed very cool and warrior-like at the time, but in reality it was at best pretty stupid.
    My "self healing" experience was a motorcycle crash. Bike landed on my leg, scratched it pretty good so I disinfected it and put bandages on everything. Fast forward a few days, most of it is starting to heal alright but that one cut still seems to bleed a lot and is feeling numb?

Decided to see a doctor... turns out the wound was a bit deeper than it looked, apparently a stab wound. He said if I'd gone to a doctor right away, they could have cleaned it properly and stitched it, 2 weeks later it would've been gone without a trace.
    Instead I spent almost 6 weeks with an open wound in my leg full of gauze crap that had to be changed all the time, plus disgusting, smelly liquids dripping out of my shin. The scar still feels numb 8 years later.

No more home-stitching or glueing for me.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdale
    Forgot to mention using natural raw honey to disinfect wounds (kills MRSA - Manuka honey http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/) along with cayenne pepper to stop bleeding and pack a wound.
    + the exact same combo can be used for a pretty mean marinated chicken on the barbie! Yay!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think if the would is properly cleaned, super glue is the way to go. My last two surgeries, the doc used superglue to close the incisions.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bcdale
    Guess the cayenne pepper would also take car of any of the flys that the honey atracks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Never close an impalement. It needs to be disinfected and cleaned and left open cover with thin gauze and tape around but not directly over. As always pressure to staunch bleeding. I use superglue in the field but I've got a surgical stapler in my kit just in case. I also carry sutures when I'm in the backcountry (guiding). A lot of biking injuries are impalements that really should be dealt with professionally.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel
    Instead I spent almost 6 weeks with an open wound in my leg full of gauze crap that had to be changed all the time, plus disgusting, smelly liquids dripping out of my shin. The scar still feels numb 8 years later.

No more home-stitching or glueing for me.
    I had the same expieriance with the gause packing, but it dripped from my arm pit! Thought the chicks would dig it, but just sent them running for the bathroom! Most of my buds thought it was pretty cool though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Glue or Urgent Care?-img_2518.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=chugachjed]Never close an impalement. It needs to be disinfected and cleaned and left open cover with thin gauze and tape around but not directly over.

They had me pack my punture wound (arm pit) twice per day with medicated guaze, directly into the punture. Pretty trippy how much guaze, and how deep it was!

Had a very shallow punture in my glute once, luckely it didn't require packing!

meow meow
    super glue is where its at!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Should hit Wiki for cyanoarcylate (sp?, or aka Krazy Glue) for some background if you have concerns w/ toxcicity. FYI, it's "safe."

Members who have read this thread: 0