Sunday WC vs Demo 8 or sx trail- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    liv 2 ride, ride 2 live
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    55

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sunday WC vs Demo 8 or sx trail

    i need your help on choosing which bike i want for freeride and a lot of technical dh. I have heard a lot of great things about all of them. all i want is a bike that will leave me in awe and i will not think twice about other recommendations would be awesome.

  2. #2
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Demo 8 FTW. you're going to be hard pressed to find one now.. and even harder pressed to locate ANY size of the Sunday WC. The parts spec on the Sunday WC is mind boggling. it's pretty much the best of everything.

    Demo 8s IMO trump the Sunday's in suspension design (bring on the flaming). and have a great parts spec (some room for improvement), and are backed by a lifetime frame weld and bearing guarantee.

    Some bomb choices though.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  3. #3
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Fat chance. DW link for the win. Horst link still suffers a small amount of brake jack. HL is not a COMPLETELY neutral suspension design like they claim.

    I'm still very turned off by Specialized's poor business ethics. And I don't think full suspension frames should have to use spherical bushings to make up for misalignments.

    The Sunday is a badass bike, but more DH than FR.

  4. #4
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Fat chance. DW link for the win. Horst link still suffers a small amount of brake jack. HL is not a COMPLETELY neutral suspension design like they claim.

    I'm still very turned off by Specialized's poor business ethics. And I don't think full suspension frames should have to use spherical bushings to make up for misalignments.

    The Sunday is a badass bike, but more DH than FR.
    How much brake jack does a DW link get... a lot.
    yes spec. does use spherical bushings, as just about all frames are going to be ever so slightly misaligned. fact of nature. at least they offer a system to deal with it.

    and also just another $0.2 : I don't think a suspension designed for dh should have a falling rate. kinda seems dumb to get softer as you go through the travel.
    (yes i have put both designs as the appear in their pattens through a suspension program and the dw link is falling rate. it's sad really. that's what really turns me off to it. )
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  5. #5
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    DW link does not jack significantly, if at all.

    You're right, most all frames are going to suffer from misalignment to some degree. The Enduros were so far out that they were blowing up shocks without the spherical bushings. And big S offers the "DHX upgrade" as the fix when all you need are the bushings.

    I don't like the way they conduct business. I don't like their sue-happy manner either. The Specialized rep in my area was a complete dick to me because I didn't and wouldn't ride Specialized. They build some bikes that ride very well. I had owned a Big Hit and a SXT briefly. The BH rode like @ss... I did like the SXT. I would never pay retail for one. Their prices are near boutique.

    Many single pivots are falling rate.

    Another Specialized zealot...

  6. #6
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=35572

    There's a good read about brake input.

  7. #7
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,117
    Dave Weagle will probably chime in, but DW Link is not falling rate by any means... DW is far far superior than to FSR imho...

  8. #8
    Bike Ninja |||
    Reputation: chooofoojoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    DW link does not jack significantly, if at all.

    You're right, most all frames are going to suffer from misalignment to some degree. The Enduros were so far out that they were blowing up shocks without the spherical bushings. And big S offers the "DHX upgrade" as the fix when all you need are the bushings.

    I don't like the way they conduct business. I don't like their sue-happy manner either. The Specialized rep in my area was a complete dick to me because I didn't and wouldn't ride Specialized. They build some bikes that ride very well. I had owned a Big Hit and a SXT briefly. The BH rode like @ss... I did like the SXT. I would never pay retail for one. Their prices are near boutique.

    Many single pivots are falling rate.

    Another Specialized zealot...
    yea they are kinda a 'patch their problems instead of fixing them' type of company, but such is big biz.
    I did never like the old style big hits.. felt like poo. must have been their 24" combo w/ poor shocks. either way, i think that the demo and sxt are about the only Sweet-ass bikes that spec. puts out, and am not to thrilled with their proprietary component trend lately, but the demo is a fine rig.

    The dw link has more brake jack then fsr. it's been proven, nuf said.

    and yes lots of single pivots are falling rate, however very few DH oriented singles are falling. such as the rmx and foes dhs'.

    i'll probably shut up now. unless something piques my brain.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

  9. #9
    yaha ha
    Reputation: snowforner15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    586
    You guys dont need to keep arguing about which suspension design has more brake jack. I know XSL WILL is one of the most knowledgable guys on this board about every topic and like he said has ridden some specs. I own a glory as well as an sxt but have ridden both an D8 as well as a sunday. the Maestro/DW link is far superior imo. BUT if youre looking for a fr bike the sx trail would fit you perfectly if youre still going to be pedaling a bit. i would recomendd the Giant Reign X1. i have and 06 sxt 2 that im selling the frame and getting a reign. MUCH better suspension without the bull **** CS and big name mark up from specialized

  10. #10
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,117
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=35572

    There's a good read about brake input.
    Long reading, but it was worth it

  11. #11
    Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Reputation: mtnbykr06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=35572

    There's a good read about brake input.
    WOW. I have no idea what that said. It's just a little late I guess.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

  12. #12
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    yea they are kinda a 'patch their problems instead of fixing them' type of company, but such is big biz.
    I did never like the old style big hits.. felt like poo. must have been their 24" combo w/ poor shocks. either way, i think that the demo and sxt are about the only Sweet-ass bikes that spec. puts out, and am not to thrilled with their proprietary component trend lately, but the demo is a fine rig.

    The dw link has more brake jack then fsr. it's been proven, nuf said.

    and yes lots of single pivots are falling rate, however very few DH oriented singles are falling. such as the rmx and foes dhs'.

    i'll probably shut up now. unless something piques my brain.
    Show me the proof.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,283
    IMO, there are alot of things that should come before susension linkage. The two big things to me are geometry and components. I mean a bike could have the most advanced linkage system in the world that provides no pedal bob, no brake jack and remains completley active, but if the bike doesn't fit you well and has poorly designed geometry, than the bike will still feel like crap

  14. #14
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    IMO, there are alot of things that should come before susension linkage. The two big things to me are geometry and components. I mean a bike could have the most advanced linkage system in the world that provides no pedal bob, no brake jack and remains completley active, but if the bike doesn't fit you well and has poorly designed geometry, than the bike will still feel like crap
    Very good point. I was just going to assume that those were given.

    All 3 bikes do ride very well. But each one rides distinctively.

    If you have the opportunity, ride all three.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    148
    ive ridden both bikes and own a 07 demo 8. build quality of demo's is far better than on the sunday (welds,bearings ,paint) ,the retail of the demo 8 is 4900 ,which imo is a great deal with the specs it comes with and the bike weighs only 41lbs stock (i know the wc is lighter ,but costs more). oh ,and there is that little thing that is called - lifetime warrenty !!!
    one more point worth mentioning about build quality : every sunday i know had play in the links ,even when it was new out of the box.iron horse didnt admit that there is somthing wrong with the design and instead blamed the shock manu supplying bad hardware.
    now, for 07 there is a new "magic" link that solves all that ,but wait a second ,it will cost u 360$ !!! now how lame is that ???

    now for the bikes : for me ,the demo suspension outperforms the sunday on any sitiuation and terrain (specialy on long fast terrain) !!! maybe the dw is better at pedaling (maybe) ,but sorry guys ,i ride dh and not am / xc .the demo suspension is alot more active under braking (u can really notice it) and eats square edged hits far better.
    (btw , i have three friends with sundays elites that will agree with me on that.)

    now ,as far as geo goes , the sunday has a great geo,which really help the bike shine on the slopes for most peapole ,just not for me. i prefer the longer and slacker demo (but it is just me cause im fairly big and like to plow) .
    another thing is cornering. well ,the sunday really corners amazing (bc of low cg and bb) ,but i find the demo corners very good as well . its just longer so ull need to put more muscle into it.

    both bikes are very capable dh race bikes ,but for me, the demo's suspension ,geo ,build quality and warennty makes it an easy choice.

  16. #16
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo

    The dw link has more brake jack then fsr. it's been proven, nuf said.

    and yes lots of single pivots are falling rate, however very few DH oriented singles are falling. such as the rmx and foes dhs'.

    i'll probably shut up now. unless something piques my brain.
    Humm, you really should look up what brake jack is and what brake squat is. They're not the same and aren't use synonymously. You've clearly become a pawn in the game of marketing.

    Falling rates can be beneficial if built correctly (like when building a dh race bike). Tuning the curve is what is key I think. As long as the rate does dip too low it should be fine. Have you ever ridden a dw-link/sunday?

    To the original poster:
    Post this on ridemonkey/farkin if you want some real answers and not regurgitated baloney.

    I think the Demo 7/8 would be better for you as a freeriding bike. SX Trail should also do fine depending on your smoothness and if you want a nimble bike with less cushion. Try to ride the bikes you're looking at on the trails if you can.

  17. #17
    Mountain Biker
    Reputation: balfabiker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    619
    some kid called jake womack is selling his Demo 8 pro for $2000 it has a dorado.

    But i would get a intense socom or a uzzi because idk they look cool.

    btw the demo 8 is on sponsor house

    http://www.sponsorhouse.com/My/MailB...nbox&Type=Mail

    But you could get that bike down to like 1700 im guessing...
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

    Premier of Sonar!

  18. #18
    Premium Member
    Reputation: Ojai Bicyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,842
    I'd be willing to sell my dialed Demo 8. PM me if you're seriously interested.

    The Sunday is IMO a better bike for wide open DH but it's too slack for FR. The SXT feels great on slower stuff, but can't hold its own as well on open terrain. The Demo 7 especially is a good compromise, but the S is sold out of almost everything.

  19. #19
    Registered Jong
    Reputation: Pistol2Ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist
    I'd be willing to sell my dialed Demo 8. PM me if you're seriously interested.

    The Sunday is IMO a better bike for wide open DH but it's too slack for FR. The SXT feels great on slower stuff, but can't hold its own as well on open terrain. The Demo 7 especially is a good compromise, but the S is sold out of almost everything.
    Yeah even thought you say it is too slack it still can be done comfortably rode a friends freeriding and didnt mind it but liked 7 point better for the application.

    Get the SUNDAY!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.