Sun Tomac Rims For $35?- Mtbr.com
    Oh, So Interesting!

Sun Tomac Rims For $35?

I'm looking for a second wheelset for my Giant AC (5th coil / '06 Boxxer Ride) for dh/fr use. I found these Sun Tomac Rims for $35, free shipping until the 4th:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=12415

I looked for reviews, and found nothing What do you guys think? I plan on running Maxxis Minion 2.5s, but also saw Maxxis Mobster 2.7 40a for $20 at Cambria, and was considering this for a front tire. The reviews of this tire are pretty mixed. I'll be riding Keystone, Vail, and other front range locations...

I can build my own wheels, but I'm wondering if I should just get an Azonic Outlaw set for $210 from Jenson instead... It'll end up being cheaper, but will the Sun Tomacs make for a significantly better wheelset?

I weigh 190 nekked, and am an intermediate rider... so I'm not going huge. I can ride black trails at Keystone, but not the hardest parts of the hardest trails... I'll be working on it though.

Thanks for your advise!

Premium Member

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojai Bicyclist

Didn't see that, I just looked under rims... That said, they are not the same rims. The ones from Cambria are 34mm vs 36mm for the '01 wheelset. I'd think they would be newer than '01???

Glad to Be Alive
    for 25 bucks that is a great price.....I don't like how wide they are and they are a little too heavy
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    for 25 bucks that is a great price.....I don't like how wide they are and they are a little too heavy

Theyre $35, msrp is $90, still a good deal. Compared to Mavic 823s (Which I would buy if I had the $$$, or 729s...), they are 5g heavier (585g), and 4mm wider... do you think 34mm is too wide? Any experience with the Maxxis Mobster?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would go with the Outlaws. Great deal, and multiple axle options if you every need to switch it to another bike.

I always thought the Tomacs were a variation of the Single Tracks, but that rim resembles the Single Wide.

mtbr member
    Jenson usa will pricematch a guy on ebay that is selling outlaws for $199.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AZONIC-OUTLA...QQcmdZViewItem
    Hucker in training!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Yeah, I saw those on ebay.... I will go for those if I dont win an auction for a new Trailpimp wheelset with an sram x9 cassette and 2.5 Timberwolfs. I need a new cassette, chain, and rear derailleur anyway, so pricewise this works out pretty good if I get it all for $250. The wheelset, tires, and casette have mixed reviews (like lots of stuff), so I hope I like it. It seems the Twolfs might work out pretty well in CO, at least for a front tire. If not, I'll ebay them to buy something else. The pimps are heavy, but this will be a 2nd wheelset for dh only.

If I get the Outlaws for $200, I still need a $50-$80 cassette (the x9 is $80...), and some big tires to put on 'em, another wad of cash I don't have I'm going back to school full time, so $ is an issue. If it wasnt, this would be easier...

Members who have read this thread: 0